Gobi Ranger Rack Installation with pictures - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Gobi Ranger Rack Installation with pictures

So my Gobi rack came last week. There have been many questions on how it fits and works. Here is my attempt at providing some answers. I photo documented the installation procedure today. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Rack installation:

All of the parts came will labeled and well packaged. Every item was protected. Inside the main box, the pieces are strapped together and nothing was damaged.

Here is how the brackets are well labeled:

The first thing needing to be done was to remove the rear bumper. Well this was easier said than done. As I was backing the bolts out, I realized that the threaded inserts were backing out. So I had to give them a good shot of SeaFoam and use a pair of vise grips and out they came.

Next was to install the pinch seam brackets. These hold up the rear support beams. The was pretty straight forward if you follow the directions.

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Now on to the front support / light bracket. This is straight forward. The only problem I had here was that the hardware package was short the 6, 5/16" Stainless Steel washers were missing. No problem as I happened to have some already.

Then onto the rear support beam installation. Again, very straight forward.

The main rack body we installed a bit differently than the instructions. Instead of using the table as recommended we put the rear support up to the final positions and the set the rack up on top. I set the front in place with the bolts until I had the back support in place.

Once the top rack was in place, I put the quick disconnects in place. Here are pictures once I installed them:

Here is the back side with the disconnect engaged and disengage.

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #3 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here is the rack tilted back with the retaining strap:

Now onto the ladder:
Straight forward once again following the directions

This is the support bracket for the ladder

The is the lower ladder mount (1/2" blolt)

The rubber isolator that goes against the rear of the body came with an applique to protect the paint:

I was a little concerned about the window hitting but no problem!

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Everything went in quite well. I really can't complain about anything.

Here are a couple other pictures:

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #5 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great! Nice writeup.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Very nice! I had a couple of parts missing as well. Have you had the chance to take the Jeep up above 55MPH yet? I am wondering how much of the sound the hard top isolates. With the soft top or topless the sound is essentially unbearable. I added the AEV corners to my rig in advance of the GOBI install, and the corners really compliment the rack well.

In this photo, are those the stock bolts going into the frame? Sucks about your bumper inserts. I didn't have any problems with mine.

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ATH3N View Post
Very nice! I had a couple of parts missing as well. Have you had the chance to take the Jeep up above 55MPH yet? I am wondering how much of the sound the hard top isolates. With the soft top or topless the sound is essentially unbearable. I added the AEV corners to my rig in advance of the GOBI install, and the corners really compliment the rack well.

In this photo, are those the stock bolts going into the frame? Sucks about your bumper inserts. I didn't have any problems with mine.
Quite honestly, I don't think it is that bad. I had the front panels out at 70mph today and it is definitely noticeable but not unbearable.

I will, without a doubt get the wind deflector as soon as I can.

And yes, those are stock bolts going into the frame. The factory bumper is flexible enough that even with the extra thickness of the Gobi brackets, the bumper will flex enough for putting back on. My concern is when I finally purchase the LOD rear bumper that I will have to make a little modification of the brackets.

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #8 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenallwine View Post
Quite honestly, I don't think it is that bad. I had the front panels out at 70mph today and it is definitely noticeable but not unbearable.

I will, without a doubt get the wind deflector as soon as I can.

And yes, those are stock bolts going into the frame. The factory bumper is flexible enough that even with the extra thickness of the Gobi brackets, the bumper will flex enough for putting back on. My concern is when I finally purchase the LOD rear bumper that I will have to make a little modification of the brackets.
Interesting. I wonder if there is that much difference between the ranger rack and the stealth rack? Wind deflector is a must here as well. I have also contacted KMA fabrication to see if they would make be a new light bar compatible with the GOBI rack quick disco system. Would be trick...

Yes an aftermarket bumper install is going to be interesting indeed. I think of all the brands, LoD should be the simplest, however. I am looking at E1 or AEV rear bumpers.

Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I would think that just about any bumper would work if the top surface is at or below the top surface of the factory bumper.

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #10 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Sweet rack and nice writeup/install-On my list with about 10 other things....
post #11 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenallwine View Post
I would think that just about any bumper would work if the top surface is at or below the top surface of the factory bumper.
The problem isn't the height of the bumper. In fact, there are a few threads floating around out there where people are running this rack with stubby rears. The problem is where the bumper mounts to the frame conflicting with the mounting location of the GOBI rack.

Old style bracket. Note the single side support arm.

E1 Rear:

AEV Rear:

LoD Rear:

post #12 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
TrailDuty.com

Nice write up and pics

FWIW The Gobi Wind Deflector will help with wind noise and if you don't mount lights the Gobi Mini Wind Deflectors will help even more.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Nice write up and pics

FWIW The Gobi Wind Deflector will help with wind noise and if you don't mount lights the Gobi Mini Wind Deflectors will help even more.
Thanks. I am researching my options.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ATH3N View Post
Very nice! I had a couple of parts missing as well. Have you had the chance to take the Jeep up above 55MPH yet? I am wondering how much of the sound the hard top isolates. With the soft top or topless the sound is essentially unbearable.

I HAD the Gobi rack and sold it for primarily two reasons. One, I decided I was in the market for a camper trailer instead of a rack and two, the road noise was pretty severe; even with my hard top. I used to cruise around town with my freedom panels off but that changed when I got the Gobi rack.

In Gobi's defense I don't believe the noise issue was specific to them but more so to the type of product, regardless of manufacturer. Some people are more sensitive to the additional noise then others but I believe that if you ask the question then you fall into the sensitive category. I would try and find someone in your area that has an after market rack installed, regardless of brand, and take it for a drive with and without the top. The additional noise may be loud enough for you to think twice.

As fas as the quality goes I feel that the Gobi product is by far the best rack on the market; both in aesthetics and build. If you can get past the noise then Gobi's rack is the best you can get.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
I HAD the Gobi rack and sold it for primarily two reasons. One, I decided I was in the market for a camper trailer instead of a rack and two, the road noise was pretty severe; even with my hard top. I used to cruise around town with my freedom panels off but that changed when I got the Gobi rack.....
Good luck.
I just installed the fairing and it cut down on noise substantially. I've been driving around with the freedom panels out for a full week. I can't talk on the cell phone on the highway, but it's reasonable with the top off. Man this weather is nice!

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #16 of 19 Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post

Good luck.
Thanks for the insight! I am going to try the wind deflector and see how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiZealot View Post
I just installed the fairing and it cut down on noise substantially. I've been driving around with the freedom panels out for a full week. I can't talk on the cell phone on the highway, but it's reasonable with the top off. Man this weather is nice!
That's good to hear. You shouldn't be talking on the cell phone on the interstate anyway. Just so you know, I have decided that if I ever become terminally ill, I am going to go on a killing spree and people on cell phones on the interstate will be my primary targets.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to MBATF Send a message via Yahoo to MBATF Send a message via Skype™ to MBATF

Great write up Ken. I hope you will enjoy the rack as much as we do here!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Office: 214-7363398

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Dave! I'm going to start my fab work on my 10lb propane tank soon as well! Lovin' the rack so far. Still need to get my lights wired too.

Ken Allwine
2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
post #19 of 19 Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the write-up with photos - they were a big help to me when I installed my Gobi last weekend. Hope to install the ladder and wind deflector this afternoon. The weather has not cooperated with me too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode