Transmission Cooler Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Transmission Cooler Install

Here's another auxiliary cooler install. I followed PhilD's writeup with a couple of subtle changes.

I got this Hayden Imperial Maxi-Kool XL cooler from Advance Auto along with the hose barb kit, extra clamps and another three feet of hose.

Notice this is the 243012 it's pretty big at 11 x 11 3/8 x 3/4 thick (the only one they had in stock).

I drilled and tapped two holes in the cross bar for L-brackets.

Set it in place in the center with just enough room to clear the hood lock. I shot everything with a light coat of flat black grill paint to make it disappear. The Hayden cooler comes in a gloss black finish.

There is an existing plastic tab on both sides that lined up perfectly. I bent the upper brackets in the vice from some larger L-brackets I had laying around.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Next I routed the hoses as you see. I cut out an oval hole in that shield on the right and installed a heater core firewall grommet I scavenged from a 2002 Toyota Tacoma:grin:.

Hoses connected to the upper line. from existing cooler to bottom of new cooler, from top of new cooler to transmission. It helps to remove the coolant overflow when routing the lines. Just unclip the overflow hose from the shroud and lift straight up and back toward the engine. There is plenty of hose to set it out of the way without disconnecting anything.

There has been some confusion lately about which line is the return. I confirmed the top one is the return line (at least on my 2008 JK Unlimited) by starting the Jeep cold, idling in drive for ten seconds and checking for the coolest line per the Hayden instructions.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good and yeah I used the same line you did.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

Can someone tell me if this is right? Or are my auxillary lines mixed up? I am a little confused where the new lines connect in.

post #5 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0341 View Post
Can someone tell me if this is right? Or are my auxillary lines mixed up? I am a little confused where the new lines connect in.

looks correct to me

|
|
post #6 of 23 Old 04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
TrailDuty.com

Nice install, looks very neat and tidy
post #7 of 23 Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks pro.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice write up. My next project.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 23 Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks guys, I seriously owe it to the others before mine. I've had PhilD and KerryP's write-ups bookmarked forever. Just before the install I printed Phil's and put it in the box with the cooler.

Quote:
post #10 of 23 Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Granite Guru

I did this mod today using the same parts. It was simple, quick and effective! I ended up fabricating some brackets using a steel landscape retainer... that took longer than the actual mod itself...lol. Thanks, man!
post #11 of 23 Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

I just picked up the parts from Oreilly. When I looked things over the only angst appears to be that I'll have to pull the Powerplant off to remove the grille. That'll probably take longer than the cooler installation.

OP, can I assume the hose barb splices needed for the factory lines are 3/8"? Hope so that's what I got!
post #12 of 23 Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
I just picked up the parts from Oreilly. When I looked things over the only angst appears to be that I'll have to pull the Powerplant off to remove the grille. That'll probably take longer than the cooler installation.

OP, can I assume the hose barb splices needed for the factory lines are 3/8"? Hope so that's what I got!
Yep 3/8 it is.

Quote:
post #13 of 23 Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Thanks. FWIW, I found out from the instructions that Hayden makes an install adapter kit P# 392 for this. Checking it out online it is just two 3/8" brass inline splices.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Thanks. FWIW, I found out from the instructions that Hayden makes an install adapter kit P# 392 for this. Checking it out online it is just two 3/8" brass inline splices.
Yeah that's it, same ones I got and they were hanging on the rack next to the trans cooler. They were zinc plated steel FWIW.

The one thing I did find odd (and rather annoying) is there was a precut length of hose by hayden there also. The package just said cooler hose. When I got ready to install I realized everything was 3/8 and it was 5/16 Luckily I hadn't already cut the stock line. So it just took a quick trip to Autozone to finish up.

Quote:
post #15 of 23 Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

I'm installing a cooler today. I read through all of the search results but there seems to be conflicting info as too which line is the return line.

Top or bottom?

I want mine to flow from the tranny, to the factory cooler in the rad, to the aux cooler, and back to the tranny.

Let me know which line.

Thanks
post #16 of 23 Old 02-05-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
I'm installing a cooler today. I read through all of the search results but there seems to be conflicting info as too which line is the return line.

Top or bottom?

I want mine to flow from the tranny, to the factory cooler in the rad, to the aux cooler, and back to the tranny.

Let me know which line.

Thanks
pm sent...VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
There has been some confusion lately about which line is the return. I confirmed the top one is the return line (at least on my 2008 JK Unlimited) by starting the Jeep cold, idling in drive for ten seconds and checking for the coolest line per the Hayden instructions.

Quote:
post #17 of 23 Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Is it possible or necessary to put a cooler on a manual transmission?
post #18 of 23 Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
pm sent...VVVV
Thank You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssJK View Post
Is it possible or necessary to put a cooler on a manual transmission?
Not needed. You could put one on your power steering if you just have to have one
post #19 of 23 Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post

Not needed. You could put one on your power steering if you just have to have one
Thanks, I think I'll be alright, no need to add unnecessary modifications to the never ending jeep to do list.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Did mine today. Write up here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...postcount=3469

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #21 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0341 View Post

Could someone help me with direction of flow. I know to cut the top line.

The fluid needs to enter at the bottom of the aux cooler and exit thru the top. Is this diagram correct for that flow?

Thanks
Dom

2008 Rescue Green JKU Sahara
post #22 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Very nice writeup and a job well done--

Mines different--I haven't honored TSB30, for the "Hot Oil" CPU reflash, cause I don't want my engine shutting down, at random heats--

I installed my aux coolers (2) and completely cut the stock (warmer) outta the circuit--

My auto temp never gets over 200 f--even towing up hills, off-road-

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #23 of 23 Old 10-20-2012, 05:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJK View Post
Could someone help me with direction of flow. I know to cut the top line.

The fluid needs to enter at the bottom of the aux cooler and exit thru the top. Is this diagram correct for that flow?

Thanks
Dom
This diagram is correct.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode