River Raider Full corner kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

River Raider Full corner kit

Well i finally got home yesterday and got to open my box of new toys. I orderd the full skins and tubes pre-bent and the skins for the fender top from http://www.riverraider.com/. Everything was great except since i was not home to take care of my new stuff someone spilled water in the box and i got some surface rust, no biggie flap wheel took care of it.

Before i go any farther i have to say im a wood worker and this steel stuff in some what new to me. So my welds are not the best but i can say i got good penatration and discolor on the other side using a 110 flux cored up to 1/4" steel. Besides who doesnt get that great feeling of satisfaction when you build something that you can call your own. Well at least half of it...

Everything layed out. There are 2 tabs that you cant see that get welded center of the tubes to the skins. This helps keep the tubes even down the side while you tack weld everything in place.

I already did the fender chop so the iner fender well was cut. You can find that mod in the forum. You can see some carnage on the side. 1 was last spring i slid into a tree during a muddy side hill at the wheel in. The other is well lets just say a night run.

OK this hurt for a second. The template is easy to use and i cut the hole with a angle grinder. There is a couple of spots that you need to cut about an inch in so if your wheel wont make it you can use a jig saw or ricipricating saw.

I was home alone and i got to tell you its not easy to get this beast up by yourself. Once i did and got it all lined up i clamped it down and marked the holes for the nut-serts. Then took it off again ahhhhhhhhhhh. Drilled 1/2" holes and you have to use a hammer to get the nuts to go in, tight fit! Well since I dont have the special tool, Kenny said i could use another bolt with a larger nut that will slide over the bolt. Then you use 2 wrenches 1 on the nut and 1 on the bolt to suck the nut-sert in. This didnt work out for me to well. So i took out the trusty 110 and tacked the nut serts in place so they wouldnt spin and then the bolt trick worked. OK so its a bit ugly but i flap wheeled and rattle caned it afterwards.

If you weld have a fire ext handy!!!! The insulation on the inside between the walls got a little hot. I didnt have my carpet in so it was easy to put out. no worries no damage

The skin back on and tacked the tube and fender skin on in place. This will help keep the main skin the contour of the jeep.

After I tack welded it I took it off finished welding it and gave it a few coats of rattle can.

Last edited by slacktide; 03-31-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

On to the other side. I cut the hole in the back and clamped the skin in place to mark the 1/2 holes to be drilled.

Then i took it off drilled the holes and inserted the nuts. This time i just tacked all of them in place. Took a impact to the bolt and used a wrench to hold the extra larger nut to suck them up tight "much easier" Then a little rattle can for cover up. It looks a bit ugly but hopefully it will prevent some rust down the road

Placed the skin back on and tacked the tube and fender skin in place

Finish welding it and the LED lights should be in Monday
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Rock God

Looks Awesome!!! Congrats for having the NUTS it took to make that 1st cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Rock God

Looks good man.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

You got Skills!!!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Rock God

nice mod dude
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys,

The lights came in last night so i went out to the garage like a little kid at Christmas and installed them. They came with some really cool heat shrink that has solder built in to it. The only thing that didnt work out was the bolts went right thru the holes of the fender. So i looked around for some 1/4" nuts and washers and reached up thru the fender and put them on the back side. Easy fix....

The gas cover needed to be trimed a bit. I cut the tabs off and took a little lithium grease and put it around the seal so it would slide on the fuel neck tube much easier. Once its around the tube its on good i dont see anything wrong with it.

All done and ready to wheel!!!!!!!!! The one thing that wasnt quite right was the driver side corner didnt fit really tight at the top, above the tail light. It had about 1/2" gap. I used a tube of roofing caulk and filled in the gap. At first i didnt really like it but once it was all done i think it looks really good and it will keep the water and dirt out.

Last edited by slacktide; 04-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New addition to the fenders...........

Since the lights cost a bit of money i made 4 tabs to go above and below the lights
This is what i came up with.

post #9 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very nice!!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Rock God

looks great... awesome job
post #11 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Looks very good, but I think you should have trimmed the inner portion as much as possible... at least back to the body panels. If you decide to go larger tires you'll be reworking. IMHO, I think it would have looked better if you had trimmed back to the body panels.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #12 of 12 Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Looks very good, but I think you should have trimmed the inner portion as much as possible... at least back to the body panels. If you decide to go larger tires you'll be reworking. IMHO, I think it would have looked better if you had trimmed back to the body panels.
Yeah i thought of that, but it matches the the inner wheel well and if i cut it it would show the body panel. It will fit 37s for now, But in time if i ever get to 40s i will cut it back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in