My G518 trailer build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
My G518 trailer build

Since I actually did some work on it I figured I'd start the build thread
here's some info on the g518 trailers....
They were rated at 1 ton and designed to be pulled by duece and a half trucks so they share the same tires wheels. They have a 4x8 bed and the gate flips down to become a prop in the back
I wanted to build an adventure trailer but wanted a base a little bigger thane one of my m416s

here's how it came home:

pretty solid but had been molested
lunette ring was chopped off and a ball coupler had been welded on
brake handle was missing so I dunno what's there of the brakes
it had a flat on the original split ring rim, the original miitary wiring was hashed but the cats eye lights were still there and there was almost no rust so I figured it was easily worth the $250 I gave for it

tonight I fought the split ring Mankiller rim monster and put a new tube in so it's finally rollable!!

also cut off the farm tractor hookup rig that had been welded to the stalk from the lunette

and started making the 1/2 inch thick plate I'll weld in place to bolt the new lunette to

that's as far as I got this evenin
sorry if this post is f'd up. I did it all from my iPhone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 AM
JKO Addict!

I will be following this build thread!! Maybe when your done we can compare our builds. Either way I have to get over there and pic up my trailer from ya.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Made more progress today
Finished the hitch up, changed the original design a little
The original pintle mount was not designed to rotate to allow the trailer to articulate, it just had to positions 180 degrees off from each other- if you look at the bottom of the socket the hitch goes into, theres a flat bar on the bottom and a flat spot on the shaft to lock it form rotating..

I hit the flat spot with the grinder to allow about 45 degrees of rotation each way

then welded the plate to the old pintle and bolted the ring on and its officially towable!

Next was to try to overhaul the original military blackout lights

The lenses were pretty bad, they outside of the plastic was crusty and dried out
some sanding and polishing made them workable

Then used the jeep winch to stand it up so I could get to the underside

good news is this thing is SOLID, no rust!
one of the brakes is still functional and had the cable in place, the other cable is missing, gonna see what I can rig up..

worked on the lights a bit more, gonna retrofit the original housings to LEDs and the spider eye reflectors that had been painted over got cleaned up and thats where I quit for the night

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Rock God

Great write up so far Venom! You got your work cut out for you on this project, but it looks like you got a handle on it, it's looking great!

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #5 of 45 Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Good work, would love to build my own version, wish I had a shop like that,

Oh hey (second pic from top) is that tracer fire from a jk deck mounted .50 cal?
No kidding, the pic with the trailer verticle is making me miss my own farm house up in Indiana. Lord knows I could use the 2200 sq ft of shop space now..

Its about time you got to work on that thing Venom, looks good so far....

/

post #6 of 45 Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

More progress, I now have a usable trailer!
the hitch setup is all together and working, its wired - I installed cheapo harbor freight lights until I finish converting the military lights to LEDs
I built a self locking parking brake for the one working brake, and got a lead on possibly getting the parts to rebuild the other side.
Pulled the hubs and the bearings look freaking NEW!

Anyway, heres the brake handle setup, obviously not finished but the design works

it definitely articulates well, it had just barely started twisting the lunette in this pic and I ran out of floor jack - should have at least another 20-30 degrees

And if you've wondered about size in relation to the JK, here it is hooked up

Quote:
post #7 of 45 Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

update so far this weekend....
extended the foot on the prop leg so it went a little higher

pulled the spring pack apart and took 3 short leaves out - no need for 1 ton capacity

still probably gonna have way more capacity than I need

what do ya do with spare leaves?
add duct tape and make bouncy shoes!

Also threw a quick coat of paint on it - looks about a bazillion times better

Quote:
post #8 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Picked up new shorter bolts for the leaf mounts at lowes - 1/2" x 6" , pretty beefy pieces.
We put them on yesterday, went out tonight to work on it and the heads had popped off of 2 of them.

Anyway. we did some more painting and here's a mockup of what I'm shooting for!

still need to build the platform but thats how it should end up.
There will be a 5'x8' deck on top that will butterfly open to form a 10'x8' tent platform.
The whole thing will be hinged along the front as well so you can get to the gear stowed in the trailer, just tilt the whole platform up, tent and all.

Quote:
post #9 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
what do ya do with spare leaves?
add duct tape and make bouncy shoes!
Those look like anorexic snow shoes, that or you stole a midget's skies....that's just low..wait, you have to be low to steal from a midget uh?.....

Great stuff on the build..but as far as the used leaves, if you can heat them up and straighten them, you could reused them for building Jerry can holders...

/

post #10 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Rock God

I saw those in the Skymall catalog. How do you like them?
post #11 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I might have some centering pin bolts out in the garage, let me look. Trailer is looking good by the way, oh and if you run really fast in your new shoes you might be able to throw some sparks.

|
|
post #12 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

These work?

|
|
post #13 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the centering pins are ok i think, I just cut them down and left the nut off the top, the leaves lay together pretty good and the mounting plates will contain the centering bolts so they'll stay in place and still do the job of centering.

its the 4 big bolts on each side that mount the leaves to the axle - instead of u bolts, this uses 4 bolts and 2 plates per side.
I didnt think I torqued them THAT hard but maybe I did.

Gonna try to hit fastenall here in a few and see what they have thats stronger than Lowes crap

I'm inclined to think bad bolts since both broke at exactly the same spot with no load in the trailer, the heads just popped off.
Woulda been disastrous going down the road or on the trail if they had started popping - this thing is a spring under so the axle woulda just went on its merry way away from the trailer

Quote:
post #14 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
the centering pins are ok i think, I just cut them down and left the nut off the top, the leaves lay together pretty good and the mounting plates will contain the centering bolts so they'll stay in place and still do the job of centering.

its the 4 big bolts on each side that mount the leaves to the axle - instead of u bolts, this uses 4 bolts and 2 plates per side.
I didnt think I torqued them THAT hard but maybe I did.

Gonna try to hit fastenall here in a few and see what they have thats stronger than Lowes crap

I'm inclined to think bad bolts since both broke at exactly the same spot with no load in the trailer, the heads just popped off.
Woulda been disastrous going down the road or on the trail if they had started popping - this thing is a spring under so the axle woulda just went on its merry way away from the trailer
Ah ok I misread that

|
|
post #15 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

managed to get some grade 8's tonight and put them in
hope that fixes the issue

Quote:
post #16 of 45 Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I am digging this build Larry. Can't wait to get mine and get started on it. Keep shooting the good ideas on here,,,lol
post #17 of 45 Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

lots of chopping and welding on the steel for the platform
here it is partially welded and started mocking up the side supports

started the sheeting on the deck tonight

Quote:
post #18 of 45 Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So do the extension panels tri-fold in to meet in the center of the main panel and then the whole assembly lifts at the front like a tonneau cover? Just a thought as I look at the width of your main panel, have you given any thought to maybe widening the tub and square off the fenders kinda like a Sankey trailer?

Or you could build in custom boxes that would make the tub appear wider. I'm just thinking it would help support the hinge points of the extension panels if they are in fact hinged.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 04-09-2010 at 04:28 AM.
post #19 of 45 Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

yeah, the panels fold in to the center

I'm not going to build a new box or widen this one, if I was gonna go to that much trouble, I woulda just built the whole thing from scratch
Plus a full length wider body will be tougher to get through trails.

I'm not worried about the hinge points, I'm using plenty of steel tubing and some creative design
I also could have just bought a new 8x8 tent instead of the 8x10 I already have and then the platform would have fit the bed, but I like the extra room - I'm a big guy.

This whole project is budget driven to the extreme.
I should have less than $500 in the whole thing, including the original trailer purchase.
That number will probably double eventually when I put Eaton 472's and regular 35"s on it but for now, it should be about a prefect mix between utility and camping but retaining the military durability.

Quote:
post #20 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Lots of progress this weekend, thanks yet again to cjb321 - Chris does more work at my house on weekends than he does during the week at his real job
got the deck on, got the hinges all down the side and across the front.
Decided to make it so the wings dont fold all the way down because the heads on the hinge bolts interfere with eachother, so it will have a 10 degree gable roof when closed. Will build a little fence around it so we can lash gear to the top as well.
still gotta make the kickers that will run from the edge of the wings to the base of the box to support them and a gazillion other things, but its getting there!
Anyway, heres a bunch of pics - the dogs like it

Quote:
post #21 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Venom, it appears your project has officially gone to the dogs!....

Great build so far, I like how you have the folded panels close to form a peak for better water run off... I definitely get the budget build thing and trust me you'll come in over that $500 mark...especially if you add in any "expo" devices (inverters, charger, water tank, etc). Either way its looking great and not a overly common trailer to see used anyway so kudos on that in itself.

/

post #22 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nah, I'll hang in close to the $500 mark by making most everything myself

I've been scrounging steel from other stuff - took apart a couple of old awnings so the steel has been free, plus I used up a bunch of pieces I had lying around.

I've had to buy some hardware -hinges, fasteners, plywood, supplies and so on, but sub $500 for a very usable camping platform is very likely at this point.
Maybe a couple hundred more in amenities by the time its 'done'.
The deep cycle will put me over the $500 mark just a bit, since thats one of the things I just cant build already have a 2000w inverter for it
I have an old battery charger I'll be tearing apart to build into it, plus sinking some insulated terminals through the side to allow recharging via jumper cables in the field if needed.
Got a few other ideas up my sleeve for 'creature comforts'

I'm spending ingenuity instead of cash

Quote:
post #23 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Looking good Larry!! Not you the trailer
post #24 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks Zack
you plannin on coming this way anytime soon?
Chris picked up some spidertrax for his Jeep and we put them on last weekend, now he's jonesin for a lift

Quote:
post #25 of 45 Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
JKO Addict!

yeah maybe this weekend I can get over there. I will try. I have his shock extensions ready for him too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode