CB RADIO w/ FIRESTIK INSTALL (Glove Box Mounted) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
CB RADIO w/ FIRESTIK INSTALL (Glove Box Mounted)

I know CB installs have been covered in the past but here's my set up. I have basic knowledge of wiring, cbs, and tools so I don't claim to have the PERFECT or BEST set up out there. If you see something that could be improved please let me know....

PARTS:
Cobra 18 WX ST II (~$65 amazon)
3' Firestik using (~$25 amazon)
Teraflex Tailgate Mount (~$20 used)
18' Astatic Coax (~$16 ebay)
Astatic SWR/POWER meter with 3' jumper cable (~$20 ebay)
Firestik Heavy Duty Stud Mount (~$13 amazon)
10' of 3/8" plastic wire Conduit (~$8 auto parts store)
30 Amp In-Line water "proof" Fuse using 10Amp fuse however (~$4)
12 guage wire, connectors for cb mount ground, power to battery, cb ground, etc. (~$15 car parts store)
(OPTIONAL: Switch and Relay setup add another ~$10 for parts)
EXTERNAL SPEAKER OPTION: add $10-$20 for having a speaker in sound bar or under dash for example
TOTAL PROJECT COSTS (estimated): $186

tools needed: sockets, wire crimper, circuit tester
electric grinder or Dremel tool for cutting plastic and metal around glove box

To get power from the battery to the CB run a wire clothes hanger through the firewall using the hole with foam behind it. Once you're through then tightly tape your wire to the hanger and pull back through. MAKE SURE TO put plastic wire Conduit around your wire that touches any metal to protect it from wearing through the wire coating:

Eventhough your CB probably will have fuse(s) inline from the box it is a good measure to put an in-line fuse right off of the battery and before the firewall for easy access to kill power to the CB if needed or to prevent overheating and fire through your wiring...i used:

Now since CB's are different sizes and shapes its up to you on where and how to mount it. I chose to hide mine in the glove box. It was a bit of a pain to get it to fit right. I did have to cut part of the bottom of the box out. I also had to cut some metal bracing to clear the wires on the bottom and the top.
I still have room for a few things in the box on top of the CB. It can be locked up and unseen by anyone passing by when my doors/top are off. I just used velcro on the CB mount and the box to keep it from sliding around.

Hold off connecting the power to the CB until you have your antenna mounted and installed to your Coax so you don't "burn" it up.

Run your quality COAX cable to the back of the Jeep under the carpet is easiet. 18' was a pre-cut length I could buy and worked out just fine. Again protect any parts of the wire that may be close to rubbing on any seat mounts with the plastic wire conduit. Make sure to not have any harsh bends in the wire because that can affect it's performance. So keep it in "smooth" bends around things. I try to avoid speaker wires as much as possible too so you dont get any "feedback"

If using a spare tire cb antenna mount, remove the spare and install the mount. Here's my teraflex mount. Notice the heavy duty antenna stud mount. I scraped a small portion of the mount's coating off of the bottom side (NOT THE TOP OF THE MOUNT) and then a bit off of the bottom bolt so I could attach a ground wire:

Once you have the mount on I would test the continuity with a circuit tester. The continuity should match this: CONTINUITY FOR CB ANTENNA MOUNT

Use the metal hanger and tape trick again that was used for running wires through the firewall for feeding the coax through the tailgate and out of the hole already there in the tailgate:

Run your ground wire and COAX through the stock tail gate wiring space. The black cover just pops out with a little pinching on the top and bottom. Cover wire in conduit that wire tire to stock wires (the 2nd pic shows the green GROUND wire and i did not keep it Tight like it looks....it should be loose enough to move freely when the door opens and closes):

Reinstall the rubber grommet on the tail gate. Cut an X in the center and then shove the COAX and Ground wire through it. Then pop the grommet back onto the tailgate. Reinstall the plastic wire cover on the inside of the tailgate once you have the wires ran and secured.

Connect the Ground Wire to the nearest grounding location. I used the cargo tie down mount nearest the tailgate hinge. I just ground off a little of the paint to gain a good ground.

Connect the ground and COAX to the antenna mount. Install antenna.

Tuning in your antenna is VERY important and will make your CB last longer and you'll hear and talk further. Using an SWR meter will make this happen!

The following was found on offroaders.com

Equipment needed: SWR meter, short jumper coax 3 foot.

Procedure: The SWR meter needs to be placed in line between the antenna and the CB. Connect the antenna (normally connected to the back of the CB ) to the connector marked "Antenna" or "Ant" on your SWR Meter. Connect one end of the short jumper coax to the "transmit" or "Xmit" on the SWR meter. Connect the other end of your jumper coax to the CB.

Assuming you have a standard SWR meter the switches should read as follows: REF or SWR, FWD, and there should be a slide switch marked "set" or "Adjust". If different consult your meter's owners manual.

With the radio on the lowest channel (1 on CB) and the SWR meters switch in the Forward (FWD) position, depress the transmit switch (key up) located on the microphone. While holding the unit in this transmit mode, adjust the meter needle to the set position using the Set or Adjust knob on the meter. As soon as the needle is in alignment with the corresponding mark on the meter face, flip the switch to the Reference (REF) position. The meter is now showing your SWR on channel one. Note the value and quickly release the microphone switch. Record this reading.

Repeat the previous step on channels 19 and 40.

How to read your results: If SWR on channels 1, 19 & 40 is below 2.0, your radio can be operated safely.

If SWR on all channels is above 2.0 but not in the "red zone" (normally over 3.0), you may be experiencing coaxial cable reaction (bad quality, wrong length, etc.), insufficient ground plane, or have an ungrounded antenna mount.

If SWR is in the "red zone" on all channels, you probably have an electrical short in your coax connectors, or your mounting stud was installed incorrectly and is shorted. Do not operate your radio until the problem is found, serious damage can occur to your radio.

If SWR on the lowest channel is higher than it is on the highest channel, your antenna system appears to be electrically short. Your antenna length may need to be increased.

If the SWR on channel 40 is greater than that on channel 1, your antenna is considered to be "LONG" and reduction of physical height and/or conductor length will correct this situation.

more info on this at: SWR READING

MORE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I chose to run an External Speaker since I will have the CB on but closed up in the Glove Box. I chose a small Radio Shack model for it's size and price. I cut away some foam padding. The speaker stays put by the tight fit with the foam. It is PLENTY loud right next to my ear if i need it to be:

I used a Zip tie to mount the SWR meter so I can have it ready for when I take the top off and re-tune my Firestik:

EXTRA PICS:
18' Astatic Coax Cable:
3' Black Firestik:
Cobra 18 WX ST II:
Astatic SWR Meter with 3' Jumper Cable:
Teraflex CB Antenna Mount:

Hidden Away:

|
|

Last edited by IndianaJeep; 03-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Rock God

nice! does it have a PA function? you could connect it to your speaker next to your ear to remind yourself stuff..

2013 rubi axles. 2.5in RK max travel. coast front DS.. rockhard oil pan and tranny skid plate. xrc 8 comp winch mounted on RR XHD

south lake tahoe california.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

Im getting ready to do a cb install inmy jeep and yours is the first install I've seen that left the SWR meter on for re adjustment for when the hard top comes off. Is this really necessary? Does the hardtop affect the SWR that much to require readjustment to safely operate the radio?

BAREFOOT. The "REAL" way to drive a Jeep!!

*******KEEP CALM & CHIVE ON!!!*******
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice... I'm interested too... do you need to adjust to readjust after the hard top is off?... I got a cobra 75 for Christmas and haven't installed it yet... soon.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

why is my firestick not attaching to the coax OR mounting to the teraflex antenna mount..... close up of the antenna attachment please and also parts used! Thanks!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #7 of 11 Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
why is my firestick not attaching to the coax OR mounting to the teraflex antenna mount..... close up of the antenna attachment please and also parts used! Thanks!
Wondering if you have added the stud that connect your antenna to the coax. Check with your local CB shop and ask them for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Wondering if you have added the stud that connect your antenna to the coax. Check with your local CB shop and ask them for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup... went there and they had one.... wow i felt like an idiot lol

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice install! I may go that route when I put mine in.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

can you post close up pistures of where and how you mounted the SWR meter??? also how do you use it down there? do you have a cable run to it at all times? im a noob cb'er and used mine for the first time at a bar-b-que last night! haha

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice install!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode