Write-up: iPod install for RES - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Write-up: iPod install for RES

I was looking for a clean iPod install for the JK that wouldn't break the bank, look good, and most of all, easy to use.

Here is what it looks like when I finished.

Now for the writeup:

I'm using a cable from OEM Auto Sound. This cable will charge the iPod and has a line-out (bypasses the iPod's volume control). They didn't have one that went from the iPod connector to a 3.5mm Aux plug, so I also bought and RCA to 3.5mm jack splitter.

To hold the iPod in place, I bought a Ram Mount iPod cradle that sticks to the dash. It came with a swivel but I didn't use it in order to keep the iPod closer to the dash for a cleaner look.

Since I wanted a clean install, I didn't want an AUX plug sticking out of the front of the radio. So I installed a new AUX plug in the back of the radio. (CREDITS: eaglemikeo down the street for the original writeup. I could have never figured this out)
First step - Remove the Radio

Pop the top console plate off. Simply stick a screwdriver under the corner and lift. There are two tabs in the back that hold it in place. Lift up the back and slide forward, then lift.

Remove the bottom plate as well. You should be able to pull it outward from the top. There are two tabs at the top and two slide hooks on the bottom. Pull outward and up

Once these two pieces are removed, you will see 4 screws. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. Remove the 4 screws and then gently pull the front part of the console away from the dash. There are 3 tabs on each side of the panel.

Now you will see the 4 screws that hold the radio in place. Remove the screws, slide the radio out gently, disconnect the antenna(s) and the harness. All of the connections have a tab that needs to be depressed to slide the connector off. Pull the radio out.

Next, install new AUX port in the back of the radio.

Remove the front panel from the radio. There are 3 tabs on top. Simply lift them up and pull the front of the panel off. Go easy here and don't break the tabs.

Remove the 2 torx screws that hold the top panel of the radio on. Lift up from the end where the screws are and pull out. I had to tap the panel with a screwdriver to get it to budge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 03-23-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used one of the existing vent holes in the back of the radio to hold the new AUX port. The hole needed to be enlarge. I put tape on the inside of the radio to catch any metal shavings.

I bought ribbon type solid intercom wire and the 3.5mm jack at Radio Shack.

Next, solder 3 of the wires onto the AUX port and install into the hole you just drilled.

Now for the tricky part - soldering the wires onto the circuit board. The first thing I did was to heat up the connections and use a desolder vacuum to remove the solder from each connection. This allowed me to stick the wire into the hole where the pin from the AUX that was already sticking up through. I re-soldered each of the connections.

Clip the face of the radio back into place being careful of the new wires.

Test the front and rear AUX port to make sure they both work. I just attached the wiring harness and plugged in my iPod to each AUX port. I had a big smile on my face when both ports worked.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 03-23-2010 at 05:02 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Part 2 - connect the iPod harness to power and route the cable.

Find switched power. I decided to use the power and ground wire from the switched power port (cigarette lighter). Now you can say I got lazy here but the front dash panel isn't easily removed because of the Heater/AC Controls. Plus I didn't feel like spending an hour trying to remove the pins from the connector. I decided to use scotch-locks to tap into the power and ground. I've used them in the past and never had a failure.
Do I really need to tell you that the black wire is ground and the blue wire is hot? Yes, I did check them with my Fluke just to be sure. We are dealing with Chrysler here.

I taped the scotch-lock for the hot wire for extra protection.

I wrapped and tucked the excess cable to the right of the radio.
Plug the 3.5mm jack into the AUX port in the back of the radio, connect the wiring harness and antenna wire(s)

Slide the radio into its space and reinstall the 4 screws.

The next step is running the iPod connector cable out to the iPod. I took a 1/4" drill bit and bored a hole in the end of the crease of the dash panel - enough so the cable would fit in there. Then I stuffed the cable into the crease and ran it to the iPod. It is in there pretty snug but I might run a bead of black silicone along there to make sure it doesn't pop out. You cannot see the cable unless you lay down on the seat.

Snap the panel back into place and reinstall the 4 screws. Snap the top and bottom panels in place and you're done.

, Granite,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Nice clean install! thanks for the write up!

i wish i had the balls to add the aux port, my soldering skills are non existent so...

post #5 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

I believe my window switch is in that spot. But still nice mod.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Rock God

Nice job!

I have a few of questions for you.
  1. On the 3.5mm jack, what is "A", what is "B" and what is "C"?
  2. What is the exact part number for the jack from Radio Shack? Is it 274-0249?
  3. Why the need to jumper the two middle connections?
  4. Where did you find the info on the circuit board? How did you figure out where to solder the jack to the OEM circuit board?
  5. Do you know if it would be possible to solder a standard RCA cable instead of the 3.5mm jack? I guess I'm thinking of a cable that has female RCAs on one side and bare wires on the other. I'm not sure about this but I think it would be possible. Something like the below image but with a female connector.

Thanks.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 03-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Rock God

Yep, he didn't get the power windows. Wait it's a Rubicon, no power windows, I love mine when the doors are on. Which ain't much...

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #8 of 18 Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Nice job!

1. On the 3.5mm jack, what is "A", what is "B" and what is "C"?
  2. What is the exact part number for the jack from Radio Shack? Is it 274-0249?
  3. Why the need to jumper the two middle connections?
  4. Where did you find the info on the circuit board? How did you figure out where to solder the jack to the OEM circuit board?
  5. Do you know if it would be possible to solder a standard RCA cable instead of the 3.5mm jack? I guess I'm thinking of a cable that has female RCAs on one side and bare wires on the other. I'm not sure about this but I think it would be possible. Something like the below image but with a female connector.

Thanks.
A,B,C your standard headphone plug should have 3 wires. What I did to test it was cut a headphone plug and test continuity by plugging it into the AUX port. I can't remember which ones are which but if you have a volt meter you can easily find out.

******Edit**** I just noticed the OP has a small pic telling you which way to solder the AUX port ABC are listed. Good Job****END Edit***

When you take your radio apart you will see where the AUX port is soldered to. There are actually two different types of boards for the stock radio but they are very similar.

The jumper is to keep your AUX always on. The AUX usually only turns on if something is plugged in.

IMO it would be easier to solder the headphone jack and just us an adapter to convert it to RCA. My radio was a little tight to run 2 RCA cables into the deck, but it can be done.

I hooked up my portable Sirius radio that way. It has a lifetime subscription so I didn't see a point in paying for the deck subscription as well. Hope this helps. Good job on the photos. I get too lazy to snap while im working.

Last edited by WeGo4x4; 03-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great write up...

Only thing I would add, is well......move the thread to "Write-ups"....

Also shoot Gold Knight a PM and he'll add it to the Write-up index for ya. Again, great job!

/

post #10 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_A View Post
I believe my window switch is in that spot. But still nice mod.
I have half doors so power locks weren't available.
The other location I considered is attaching the iPod flex-mount on top of the dash above the speedo cluster near the center dash panel. But I didn't want it to be that noticable to thieves. I have to take a picture but when the iPod is not in the cradle, there is a label that says I SHOOT THIEVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Nice job!

1. On the 3.5mm jack, what is "A", what is "B" and what is "C"? That is the cooresponding places to wire the jack to the circuit board
  2. What is the exact part number for the jack from Radio Shack? Is it 274-0249? Sorry dude, threw the bag away. Just make sure you get a STEREO 3.5mm (1/8") port.
  3. Why the need to jumper the two middle connections? Without jumpering these two connections, the radio doesn't recognise that you have inserted a plug into the new AUX port. The only downside if you could call it that is each time you turn on the radio, it goes directly to AUX just as if you had a cable plugged in.
  4. Where did you find the info on the circuit board? How did you figure out where to solder the jack to the OEM circuit board? Big, big ups to eaglemikeo at the evil place down the street. Like I put in the credits above, I could have NEVER figured this out.
  5. Do you know if it would be possible to solder a standard RCA cable instead of the 3.5mm jack? I guess I'm thinking of a cable that has female RCAs on one side and bare wires on the other. I'm not sure about this but I think it would be possible. Something like the below image but with a female connector. You could add two female RCA connectors to the back of the radio and just plug those in. Where I soldered the green wire is let's call that the LEFT speaker (not sure if it's left or right), the red wire is the right side, and, I know for sure that where I soldered the black wire that is the common (ground).

Thanks.

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 03-23-2010 at 04:41 AM.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I put a better picture up of where the port terminals get wired to the circuit board.

, Granite,
post #12 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most OEM premium brand cars have them now. Infiniti is the top rated OEM radio for an iPod controller.

My '08 STi had an iPod integration but it was a HUGE PITA to operate the iPod through the factory radio.

That is one reason I like the AVIC Z110BT - it actually has a iPod wheel that pops up on the screen. The entire head unit is awesome but I didn't want to spend $800.

I used this in the JK today for the first time and it is awesome.

, Granite,
post #13 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Only problem I have is I get a hissing sound if the volume is around 20...not sure if everyone else gets the same, but I had it before the mod and used the AUX port.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Yes, and No. It's not the same thing that I was talking about. There are 2 ways that the iPod can be controlled. The iPod has a serial bus communication and a USB communication. The Infinity uses the serial communication on the iPod when you get that special harness. The serial communication does not contain the actual audio....it only allows you to control the functions on the iPod. So in addition to that serial communication, there are also analog audio outputs on the bottom of the iPod. So the Infinity system uses those analog audio outputs for the actual audio, and the serial communications to control the functions on the iPod. This is why you need that special cable for the Chrysler OEM radios that you have hanging out of your dash, because the USB cable that comes with the iPod does not make physical connections with the serial bus connections or analog outputs on the bottom connector of the iPod. This is why you can not directly plug your iPod into the MyGig USB connection on the front with the iPod supplied USB cable and be able to control it and hear the audio.

To be able to offer that type of functionality a special iPod interface chip has to be built into the radio and licensed from Apple.

The current Toyota vehicles offer that kind of functionality, thus why I know the next Chrysler vehicles are most likely going to pony up and offer the same type of functionality.
Ok, I get it now. But, with all the noise in a Jeep, what is the advantage. The AUX port has more than enough clean fidelity, at least to my ears.

, Granite,
post #15 of 18 Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Well, the benefit is the digital audio over analog for one. The real benefit is not having to buy a special cable and taking your dash apart to connect it. You basically use the iPod USB cable that comes with your iPod, plug it into a USB port on the front of the radio and it handles the communications, so the iPod can be controlled with the radio, it supplies power to the iPod via the USB cable, and also streams the audio digitally through the USB cable. So less wires.....less mess, more functionality, better quality, and less work to get that functionality.

Of course the next best thing is Blue Tooth communications, as found on the iPhone and iPod touch. So it's the same kind of thing....but no wires to connect. You put your iPod in your shirt pocket and leave it or throw it in your center console or glove box, it connects automatically via blue tooth wireless with the radio, and you can control your iPod. No wire connections needed.
I'd rather the USB port be in the glove box or console and not having to plug anything into the front of the radio. But sounds like the it will be the standard option in the future. Looking forward to it.

, Granite,
post #16 of 18 Old 12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

I must lose at life or something I bought everything from Radio Shack (the 3.5mm Aux, the ribbon solid wire, solder, etc.) and the cable from OEM Auto Sound.

The iPod will not charge and the stereo does not automatically go to AUX when the stereo is on.

I'm assuming my problem with the rear Aux port is that the soldered wires need to be re-soldered or that a wire may have snapped in putting it back together (?), but I have no idea as to why my phone wont charge; I thought it may have been because of my 4G but my old 3G wont even charge.

Need your help, and it's a 2010 if that helps.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRob View Post
I must lose at life or something I bought everything from Radio Shack (the 3.5mm Aux, the ribbon solid wire, solder, etc.) and the cable from OEM Auto Sound.

The iPod will not charge and the stereo does not automatically go to AUX when the stereo is on.

I'm assuming my problem with the rear Aux port is that the soldered wires need to be re-soldered or that a wire may have snapped in putting it back together (?), but I have no idea as to why my phone wont charge; I thought it may have been because of my 4G but my old 3G wont even charge.

Need your help, and it's a 2010 if that helps.
What are you using to charge the phone?

Make sure that you don't have any solder bleeding over from one connection the another.

Does the front AUX port work? If so, plug an AUX cable in the front and check the rear port for music. If that works, you don't have the wires jumpered properly.

, Granite,
post #18 of 18 Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
What are you using to charge the phone? The cable from OEM Auto Sound following this set-up:

Make sure that you don't have any solder bleeding over from one connection the another. I'll check this in the morning.

Does the front AUX port work? If so, plug an AUX cable in the front and check the rear port for music. If that works, you don't have the wires jumpered properly. The front AUX does work with and without the rear AUX plugged in. I followed the pic below wire by wire and must've dummy checked myself ten times. I'll definitely check the solder again to make sure none bled over one another.

Thanks for the quick response, it's a sweet set up, hope it works out in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode