Here we go... Dana 60 swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 04-01-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here we go... Ultimate Dana 60 swap

My JK was in an accident (Animal strike) so that was my excuse to start this whole project.

I know for a fact that a stock brake with 37's will not stop. That is a big part of my decision to go this way.

And here they are - Ultimate Dana 60's showed today.

44 laying near for comparison.
Attached Images

cody48 likes this.

Last edited by CO JK; 04-16-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Resize pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

And more pics.

Well I guess not. Says I'm over my limit.
post #3 of 54 Old 04-01-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I'm kind of new at this posting but I will get more pics and the rest of the story as we go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Supposedly the rear TB bracket is raised....it doesn't really look like it is in your pics. Is that just an illusion from the angle the picture is taken?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Supposedly the rear TB bracket is raised....it doesn't really look like it is in your pics. Is that just an illusion from the angle the picture is taken?
It is raised some but not as much as i would have liked. I will get some measurements tonight and let you know how much.
post #6 of 54 Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Kudos!
They look so beefy compared to the D44.
Subscribed.
post #7 of 54 Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

You can use photobucket to host your images. Then, no limit.

Also it is hard to tell from the pics but I though the diff on these was supposed to be cocked like Currie for more clearance. Is that not the case or I just cant see it from the pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 54 Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You can use photobucket to host your images. Then, no limit.

Also it is hard to tell from the pics but I though the diff on these was supposed to be cocked like Currie for more clearance. Is that not the case or I just cant see it from the pics?
The front is but not the rear. Will get some better pics to show different things as we go along here.
post #9 of 54 Old 04-03-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Side view of front housing.
Attached Images

post #10 of 54 Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just more pics
Attached Images

Last edited by CO JK; 06-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #11 of 54 Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

One more - mock up to see how it all fits. Still a lot more pieces to find and a few still in the box. All looks pretty good. The stock tie rod and drag ling would work if you wanted to use them. I had a Terraflex drag link flip on my 44 but the knuckle end is raised enough on the new knuckle that I may have to go back to an underslung link as shown here to get enough up travel on the passenger side.
Looks like the trac bar lowering bracket and brace may have to go as well. There will be a ram attached to the tie rod soon so I'm hoping there will be less force on the steering box and trac bar. Not sure on that one yet but will know pretty soon.
Attached Images

post #12 of 54 Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you order these axles through the dealer or somewhere else?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #13 of 54 Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unlimited Off Road had the best deal and have been good to work with. Call Mike ext 206.
post #14 of 54 Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry guys no progress to brag on today. Too many other things going on.
post #15 of 54 Old 04-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Granite Guru

It looks like your lift is on the casters. Those are supposed to be just for moving the lift around, not when you have a vehicle on it.
post #16 of 54 Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

What control arms are you using? Did you have a lift before these axles or are you installing one at the same time? Looks like a good project.
post #17 of 54 Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegs View Post
It looks like your lift is on the casters. Those are supposed to be just for moving the lift around, not when you have a vehicle on it.
You can move just the lift or move it with a vehicle on it in a certain down position. Or so I was lead to believe.
post #18 of 54 Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
What control arms are you using? Did you have a lift before these axles or are you installing one at the same time? Looks like a good project.
When I bought the Jeep it had a 4"or 5" Teraflex lift on it with very limited travel and questionable handling so that is the setup on it now. I have a set of Metalcloak arms, 3.5 springs and trac bars headed this way. Haven't settled on the tie rod, bump stops, shocks or other small items yet. There will be a lot of mock up and testing before I decide on the final parts to get as much travel as I can.

Call it dual sport or whatever but I'm building it to try and have good street manners and lots of off road ability as well. There is also a set of JKS Control Arm Correction Brackets sitting nearby that I may experiment with.

Almost forgot but there will be 1350 drivelines built once I figure out where everything will end up. The Dana 60's come with 1350 yokes so why not.
post #19 of 54 Old 04-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO JK View Post
When I bought the Jeep it had a 4"or 5" Teraflex lift on it with very limited travel and questionable handling so that is the setup on it now. I have a set of Metalcloak arms, 3.5 springs and trac bars headed this way. Haven't settled on the tie rod, bump stops, shocks or other small items yet. There will be a lot of mock up and testing before I decide on the final parts to get as much travel as I can.

Call it dual sport or whatever but I'm building it to try and have good street manners and lots of off road ability as well. There is also a set of JKS Control Arm Correction Brackets sitting nearby that I may experiment with.

Almost forgot but there will be 1350 drivelines built once I figure out where everything will end up. The Dana 60's come with 1350 yokes so why not.
The higher you go the more the steering gets outa whack. You said the previous lift had a lowered track bar mount on the frame side? Was this the front or rear?was the axle side raised as well? You just need to make certain your track bar and drag link are perfectly parallel. Were the old track bars not adjustable? Good plan to wait to order shocks and bump stops. Did you order all 4 arms or just lowers? I don't see why you would need the control arm correction brackets if you have adjustable lowers, but I would think about raising shock mounts and maybe even raising lower control arm brackets just to get them up outa the rocks.
Are you sticking with the 37's?
Which way is the taper for the drag link end? Is it supposed to go in from the bottom?
post #20 of 54 Old 04-08-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
The higher you go the more the steering gets outa whack. You said the previous lift had a lowered track bar mount on the frame side? Was this the front or rear?was the axle side raised as well? You just need to make certain your track bar and drag link are perfectly parallel. Were the old track bars not adjustable? Good plan to wait to order shocks and bump stops. Did you order all 4 arms or just lowers? I don't see why you would need the control arm correction brackets if you have adjustable lowers, but I would think about raising shock mounts and maybe even raising lower control arm brackets just to get them up outa the rocks.
Are you sticking with the 37's?
Which way is the taper for the drag link end? Is it supposed to go in from the bottom?
Thanks for the info.

The previous lift had a lowered trac bar mount on the front frame side and stock height on the axle end.

Rear trac bar is stock and was raised at the axle and rubs on the spring because the lower spring mounts point to the rear because of the rotated axle etc.

The front trac bar was a monster Teraflex that doesn't have the clearance for the new axle housing and up travel I'm looking for. I have a JKS on now for the mock up as it has the forward curve at the diff for extra clearance but there will be a metalcloak one here soon with that package I bought. Will just see what looks better and go from there.

All new control arms headed this way as well with the kit I ordered from Metalcloak and I will play plenty with all that when it gets here before we start cutting and welding.

37's for now but would like to go just a little bigger if it all works.

Taper on the new axle for the drag link is set up to come from the bottom which I will leave to get enough up travel and the new setup is raised some anyway.
From what it looks like so far the raised trac bar mount on the new front axle will have my trac bar and drag link right on the money.

There will be plenty of testing and checking before we finalize the project. One thing I do really appreciate is all those who have gone before me with this kind of project. Also how many there are and that there is a wealth of information and great products out there.

Thanks to all who have gone down this road before me. It will save me a lot of experimentation and aggravation.
post #21 of 54 Old 04-16-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Back at it again. Metalcloak trac bar on The UD60. (Ultimate Dana 60). As you can see this combo may not work but have a JKS trac bar to try as well.

Everything else going together very well. All the Metalcloak parts are very well made.

I will have to get you some pics but I'm going to run the lower front control arms switched around (the jam nut forward) to protect the nuts a little more. Talked to Metalcloak about it and they said it would be ok.
Attached Images

post #22 of 54 Old 04-17-2015, 03:44 AM
Granite Guru

sorry maybe i missed it, but you said steering issues and it looks like your drag link is stock? Since you already have it all apart, go ahead and do a drag link flip and that shoudl alleviate at least some steering issues. Just order the drag link from a RHD jeep over the internet, i'v found some for $75 and as low as 45 from iffy companies though.
post #23 of 54 Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Back at it. Had to raise the axle bracket 2 inches and 1/2 an inch to the left to get the metalcloack trac bar to work. Was worth it though as now I have maximized my up travel.
Attached Images

post #24 of 54 Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kly5953 View Post
sorry maybe i missed it, but you said steering issues and it looks like your drag link is stock? Since you already have it all apart, go ahead and do a drag link flip and that shoudl alleviate at least some steering issues. Just order the drag link from a RHD jeep over the internet, i'v found some for $75 and as low as 45 from iffy companies though.
As I want to maximize wheel travel I am going to leave the under slung drag link to get maximum up travel.
post #25 of 54 Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We are gaining. First time off the lift since we started this project. All the work is starting to pay off. Lots of flex - all the mock ups have been worth it.

Last edited by CO JK; 06-15-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode