Installing River Raider Limb Risers - PART ! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo
Installing River Raider Limb Risers - PART !

I know a number of folks are not familiar with Limb Risers. They are used to keep tree limbs from scraping on your Hood and Windshield. There have been kits for TJs and YJs but until recently there hasn't been a JK solution. Thanks to Kenny at River Raider you can now easily protect your JK.

You don't need many tools for this install. You will need:
1) A 1/8 inch drill bit
2) A pop rivet gun (borrow one from someone)
3) A pair of pliers (for pulling and holding the cable)
4) Four cable clamps (optional)
5) Heat shrink tubing (optional)

Here is what comes in the River Raider Limb Riser kit:

Unlatch the Hood Catch:

Remove the two bolts you find under the hood. You need a 10mm socket or wrench:

Clean the surface before you proceed to the next step:

Place the new plate onto the hood surface:

Reattach the hood latch:

Now take the upper brackets and prepare for the only part of the process that is a little more difficult:

Place a bracket on the edge of the windshield so that the upper edge of the bracket is touching the rubber. Make small marker dots in the center of the three holes:

Remove the bracket and make sure the small marker dots are visible. Then use a center punch to make an indent on each dot:

Okay, that is the end of PART 1

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Inexperience. This is the first write up I have done. The system told me I had too many pictures. I thought about trying to do a reply but wasn't sure if that would work so I posted it in parts. Perhaps Gold night can put them together for me.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •
post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
PART 2 of River Raider Limb Riser

Using a 1/8 inch bit, carefully drill the top hole:

If you happen to have clecos then use one to hold the bracket in place and then drill out the other two holes. On the lower two holes you will need to drill through the outer sheet metal and then drill through a second piece of sheet metal inside:

Then using the supplied stainless steel pop rivets attach the bracket:

You can now close the door with your new upper bracket in place:

Now you can begin putting together the cable assembly. Start with one of the supplied bolts with a hole drilled in it:

I decided to enhance the kit a little. I wanted to create a cleaner way of anchoring the cable. The normal method is to simply put the steel cable through the hole in the bolt and when you tighten down the bolt it will hold the cable taught. I chose to use a cable clamp:

Part of my approach to a cleaner cable was to use a bit of shrink-tube. I decided to use yellow so that it matched my Jeep:

To get the cable ready you first slide a piece of shrink-tube on it. Next thread the cable through one side of the cable clamp. Then put a washer on the and bolt and thread the cable through the hole in the bolt:

Bend the cable back around the bolt, feed it through the other side of the clamp. Crimp the clamp (I smacked it with a hammer a few times). Then slide the shrink-tube over the pieces and heat it to shrink it up:

End of Part 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
PART 3 of River Raider Limb Riser

Then place the finished end in the upper bracket and do the same thing to the other end of the cable. However, before fastening the other end you should place the bolt in the lower bracket. Pull the cable taught. Bend it around the bolt and thread it back through the clamp. Take the assembly off the Jeep and crimp the clamp. Heat the shrink-tube and you have a completed cable. Now attach it back to the two brackets and screw it down:

Repeat the process on the other side and you will now have a great set of Limb Risers on your Jeep. They be easily removed by simply unbolting the cables when you're not on the trail:

Enjoy your pretty paint job while your Limb Risers do what they do best - keep those limbs off your Jeep.

Thanks again to Kenny at River Raider for making a great kit that is easy to install.

Roger "Hemo" Kasten

post #5 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Banned

Those look great! What'll these set ya back?

post #6 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looking good

nice yj back there too
post #7 of 15 Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Those look great! What'll these set ya back?
They set me back $69. If they do their job, and I see no reason they wouldn't, it will be money well spent.

post #8 of 15 Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

man i was looking around for this and just pmed hitmoney, who i thought was the only one with these.

thanks for the writeup, now i think i really want these too

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #9 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM

Thank you!

Awesome write up! I have actually been waiting for about 5 months because I wasn't sure how it all pieced together. I had some guy from another forum tell me the only way he would get these is if he lived in the jungles of Brazil.

I digress,
I really appreciate it, I can visualize it now!!!
post #10 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Nice write up... i was thinking about making a set of these for my Jeep, but Kenny's product, as usual, looks top notch!

any idea if there would be any issues installing this set up if there is a snorkel already in place? I have the AEV snorkel with the dust bowl filter. Kenny, if you happen to read this could you chime in?

post #11 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Wheeler

Sweet. I could never tell from River Raiders pics if the windshield brackets extended over the top of the Jeep but I'm glad to see they don't; I'm avoiding clearance issues with my building's garage. Thanks for a great write up.

Now I just have to find out if my snorkel is in the way of the top brackets.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Wheeler

You know when I first seen this on a jeep I thought it was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. After reading this and seeing what the cable is actually for It Clicked and now I kinda like it. haha. I always just rolled down my window and used my hand to keep the limbs from grabbing my winshield mounted light. But this looks much easier! I mean I wouldnt even have to put down my beverage!

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

oooOOOOoooOOOOooooOOOOOOOOOOOO......

I didnt know thats what they were called or for.... when ever i saw them i always said man that is either a crappy way to hold their hood down or an even crappier way to hold their windshield up! hahaha nicely done!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

love mine

they work well and i think they look badass

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #15 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM

dtcc687,
Any issues using them with the snorkel ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode