Baja Designs Squadron Sport - Mini Review. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Baja Designs Squadron Sport - Mini Review.

First and foremost, a HUGE shout out to Marcus at RiverCityOffroad! He hooked a Brother up big time!

There hasn't been a whole lot of info and review of these on here. I know Doc grabbed a pair and sang a lot of praise for these, but that was a while ago. So without further delay.

First impression, they are gorgeous! The raw aluminum retaining ring is nice looking for sure, but, I had another picture in my head about how I wanted them to look. So I wasted no time in modifying them. I wanted to body key the ring to match the Jeep, luckily, I found a VHT engine paint that nearly matches perfectly. They turned out great!

I just received them between last week and today so I have not installed them, but I will this weekend. So far the initial impression of light output is very good! The color temperature is 5k which is a nicer, whiter light over the 6k that my Rigid lights put out. The throw is more focused from what little comparison I have seen. I took a quick and dirty comparison photo in the garage from about 20-25 feet and the difference is obvious. When I have installed output shots, i'll add them here.

Initial output and color comparison.

More pictures and impression to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 04-15-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Sure are pretty... where did you mount them ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Wheeler

What kind of watch is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Sure are pretty... where did you mount them ?
On the A pillar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conejo View Post
What kind of watch is that?
The first gen Galaxy Gear.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 04-15-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Damn those look sweet, Chris... the lights themselves but especially with the colored rings. They look color-matched to me. Glad you didn't go with the DuPont Vaginal Burgundy.

Manly-assed timepiece too!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I like what you did with the color matching! Nice touch!

That fan isn't going to do anything for you this summer. Just want you to know. LOL

Thank you again brother!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-11-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Damn those look sweet, Chris... the lights themselves but especially with the colored rings. They look color-matched to me. Glad you didn't go with the DuPont Vaginal Burgundy.

Manly-assed timepiece too!

Thank you Stubpintler! I was a coin toss away from laying down the glossy nipple mauve on those rings, but I was worried about theft. (The color totally makes ambiguous dudes flip, literally.) You see that frickin meat hook, I have to wear 48 to 50 millimeter bezel watches to not feel like Tootsie. (Damn i'm getting old.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I like what you did with the color matching! Nice touch!

That fan isn't going to do anything for you this summer. Just want you to know. LOL

Thank you again brother!

Marcus
No, thank you Marcus! That fan has been sitting on that shelf since we moved in along with a cartridge water filter assembly and various other crap that has been filed under "Yeah, sure, get right on that." LoL

It may not keep me cool, but my new RCO t-shirt drenched with cold water will do just fine Brother! I'll wear it with pride.

Thank you again. The Gra-bars are pretty sweet too! I dig having a permanent place to grasp when getting in and out now.

Lights:

I left one D1 and one BD Sport on the vehicle and I will take some comparison shots tomorrow night behind my local wheelin' spot, Target Greatland.

Quote:
post #8 of 16 Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Okay, so I mounted one light up last night and got it aimed vaguely. I took the Jeep out and checked the differences between the Baja Designs and the Rigid D1 spot. First impression, a noticeable difference in light pattern and focus. The BD has a nice secondary flood effect and a very daylight tone to the temperature. The Rigid has a similar overall hotspot, but very little halo lighting like the BD. The color has a blue hue akin to 6K temperature. I took a couple of pictures to display the differences including a couple with each light covered.

Both at 30 feet.

Driver side displaying halo effect. (bonus flood)

Passenger side.

Driver side with D1 covered up.

Passenger side with BD covered.

I am impressed, so much so that I ordered a BD Sport Flood for the rear to replace the D1 Floods back there currently.

Another noteworthy fact, the BD is more compact and much lighter.

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 04-15-2015 at 10:37 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

I forget if you mentioned it, did you get your BD in Spot or Driving pattern?

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You know, I don't think I did!? These are the spots. I will also be putting the flood version up against the D1 Flood sometime next week.

Quote:
post #11 of 16 Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

Nice painting job! Makes me really want a pair of these color matched haha
post #12 of 16 Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Added a single flood to the rear, these are light enough to hang in unusual places. I chose the license plate mount. Fit perfectly! The output of this one light is close to the two D1's I had mounted about the spare and this allowed me to clean up the back of the Jeep a little more.

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 04-15-2015 at 10:38 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

damn all these pics are gone? I was thinking of ordering a set
post #14 of 16 Old 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Fixed the links, damn you Photobucket!

Quote:
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Granite Guru

Just found this looks great. Wondering what mounts you used for the A Pillars?? Thanks.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-05-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Those are Smittybilt brackets, I chose them because they sit really low.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode