OR-Fab Tire carrier Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

OR-Fab Tire carrier Install

I was making sure some of my write-ups were in the index when i noticed this one was missing. It is an old write-up but will come in handy when installing an Or-fab tire carrier.
I ordered my OR-Fab tire carrier from David at Northridge4x4. Got a great deal and Free shipping.
I bought my rear bumper (with no tire carrier) back when no one was reporting any problems with a 35 in their factory mounts. WELL after 10,000 miles on my JK a couple times while off roading and on un-level positions I noticed that my door was sliding across the back bumper as I closed it. I figured it was just a matter of time before it started rubbing every time I closed it.
Enter my OR-Fab tire carrier. This thing was packed and shipped completely entombed in some type of foam that absolutely kept it from moving and or being damaged in shipping.

Unpacked

I began by completely removing the old tire carrier and 3rd brake light assembly.

this is the plug inside the tailgate for the 3rd brake light.

Next I removed both tail lights and the foam insulation at the bottom of the holes.
Next I wedged some of the cardboard shipping box in under the gap between the door and bumper to help hold it up and then removed the hinge T50 Torx bolts.

next I needed to grind out clearance for a boxed end wrench onto the factory tailgate hinges. I used a small drill bit and gradually increased the bit size until I make a big hole then I used a grinder to widen the hole.

Next I needed to re-mount the hinges with the supplies bolts and tapered washers. The tapered washers would not just slide down the bolt and I did not want to pound on them so I pushed them into place by threading the bolt and washer into its hold and using the bold to force its way through the washer.

Now all the bolts and washer are ready for install. Bolts on the left are the factory ones I removed.

I placed the small square spacers under the hinge plate bracket and bolted the hinge in place. I then placed the tailgate hinge spacers on the door and tightened them up with the 4 supplied bolts and tapered washers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Now you have to drill holes near the tailgate latch to mount the landing block bracket/support beam inside the fender. The directions say to use the attached template but my instructions did not have it. They did however say drill the 2 holes 3.25 inches and 10.25 inches from the bottom of the door jam "x axis". By looking at the beam I could tell approximately where the holes needed to be on the "y" axis so I drilled really small holes incase I was not right. Well neither hole was right on but both were very close. With the support beam in its correct position I used the drill bit to mark the relative position of my holes you can see the marks on the beam just on the edge of the mounting holes in this picture.

Then I drilled new holes adjusted based on the marks on the beam.

Once I widened the 2nd holes they engulfed the original holes so the fact that I had to drill 4 holes really wasn't a big deal.

Next I hit the point of no return....DRILLING THROUGH THE BODY!!!
I used a flexible extension for my drill that allowed me to put the extension into the taillight socked from the rear of the jeep, turn 180*, and drill back out of the body in the correct position according to the hole in the landing block mounting bracket. I then taped over the hole to catch metal shavings I was about to create as I drilled a 1" hole in my sheet metal.

Now for the real damage...

NOTICE I ONLY drilled through the 1st layer of sheet metal you have 2 layers right here.

Next the instructions said to place the 1/2 inch spacer on the bolt while mounting the mounting block BUT I did not have a 1/2 inch of space between my 2 layers of sheet metal. I only had about 1/4 of an inch so I used 2 washers on the bolt instead of the spacer and the mounting block sat flush with the outer body of the jeep. I have since learned that the 1/2 inch is so that the block does not rest on the body....I wanted mine flush and after 2 years it is still fine. I have added some silicone to keep the scratches down and personally prefer it sitting flush.

I put silicone under this block to keep out water. I also spray painted ALL holes I drilled in the Jeep with both a primer and high quality spray paint.
Here is the only pic I have of the "block" forgot to take on before I mounted the rack itself. The block is the piece between the taillight and the door.

This is a pic of the back side of the same "block"

Next I needed to put the other bolts into the landing block bracket. By the way this landing block bracket is VERY solid and will definitely keep the rack from damaging the body. This is a pic looking in through the tail light and down towards the bottom of the bracket.

Last edited by brent_f70; 03-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Next I had to move to the passenger side of the jeep and mount the Hinge support brackets. This pic is from the inside of the fender and shows how one of the supports mounts to the top hinge.

This is the other end of that same bracket. It mounts through the top of the body and comes out near the roll bar.

This is the top half of that bolt. I had to drill this hole as well. I marked the location for this hole AFTER I had mounted the other end of the bracket to the backside of the hinge.

Next I mounted the rack to the hinge plate bracket with the supplied bolts, washers, spacers and wavy washers.

To allow for latch clearance and taillight mounting I had to trim both tail light guards.

This rubber stopper was shaped like a dome and would have pushed in on and possibly dented the tailgate so I used my grinder to flatten it out.

ALMOST DONE!!!!

Next I installed the locking bar and mounted the spare tire on the rack. There is a piece of black rubber\plastic between this metal plate and the surface of my wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Now a few final pics....

I also have to brag on the customer service and technical support provided by both David at Northridge and OR-Fab. I even received an e-mail with PERSONAL CELL PHONE NUMBERS for technical advisors with OR-Fab over the 4 DAY WEEKEND!!!

2 Years later and still holding a VERY HEAVY 37
post #5 of 21 Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Awesome write up
post #6 of 21 Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

Im looking at his carrier for my 35s... is there any 3rd break light mods that go with this, or is it eliminated entirely?

Thanks
post #7 of 21 Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yes, They have an optional 3rd brake light. A lot of people just use red led ones inside the wheel or even modify the factory one to shine through the spokes on the wheel.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

looks good! and damn i love those wheels!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ive never seen those tires what are they?

looks awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #10 of 21 Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet right up!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #11 of 21 Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
Maxxis Trepadors I think

2012 JKUR Bright White
EVO Enforcer 4" w King 2.0's
37" Toyo Open Country MT's
post #12 of 21 Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
looks good! and damn i love those wheels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post

looks awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roklimo View Post
Maxxis Trepadors I think
Hey sorry for the delay in responding.....Still in Afghanistan and don't get much time to surf. Thanks for the compliments on the wheels. They are Hutchinson Beadlocks and the tires are indeed Maxxis Trepadors (competition Compound) I got a steal on them and as little as I am able to drive my JK no real wear issues so far. I do have my Krawlers still in the garage but I like these tires A LOT more!!!
post #13 of 21 Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

nice

Very good write-up. Helpful and well detailed. Thank you, sir.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to stevedolce Send a message via Skype™ to stevedolce

i put tht carrier on about a month ago--it was a beast to put on..ALOT of details to worry about--you need hands like plastic-man. i followed brents write up to a T and it was a great help.

it is rock solid tho..it's never coming off

Steve
post #15 of 21 Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

Great write up!

Nice job!

I don't think we can top it, but we can add to it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PerfAuto.../5/ZbW-yS4f0To

And thanks for serving!

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #16 of 21 Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

I installed mine last weekend, thanks for the excellent write up! Didn't much like drilling a one inch hole in my sheet metal but it's done now and solid as a rock...
post #17 of 21 Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno-Storm View Post
I installed mine last weekend, thanks for the excellent write up! Didn't much like drilling a one inch hole in my sheet metal but it's done now and solid as a rock...
Great job.....but if no pic it didn't happen!!!
post #18 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Got mine put on this weekend, it was difficult with just me, but if you follow the instructions its not too bad. Hardest part for me was getting the actual carrier mounted with all the spacers and washers with just two hands.

I thought the drilling was going to be the worst part because all of my drills are large, but I bought a 90 degree attachment for my dremel for $30 and it worked like a charm except on the hole for the latching block, I was off center and had to "modify" the hole a bit (dremel got a lot of use yesterday) .

It is definitely not going anywhere. This is before I put the nuts on the hinge bolts, but everything else is done.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #19 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I put mine on myself too....guess I should have mentioned a bar stool makes a great second set of hands when putting the carrier on and lining up the holes.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just finished my install, and man - what a PITA! I bought this because of the good reveiws - and those extra brackets that stiffen it up inside the rear corners. Boy - that was touch. But you can literally lift the end of the Jeep with it. Solid!

If only they made an aluminum one with the same beefy bracketry.

I'm a happy customer though. You won't be sorry.

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
post #21 of 21 Old 10-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Hello. What ammo can is that on your OR Fab carrier? How did you mount it the the lip made for jerry can? Thanks for your time and great write up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode