Trektop Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Trektop Install

I am aware that many of the members on this forum have the trektop, either the first version or the final version. I have purchased the last version ( I believe) and will probably wait till it is warm before putting it on.

I am aware its very simple to install, but I will bite the bullet and ask anyone who has it installed to please post pics of the cursed screws they use to attach the windshield channel. I am kinda confused on how it attaches.

Also, use this thread to suggest any tips or tricks to make it easier to install it.

few tips i learned are:
1. do the install when it is super warm 73 or warmer

2. if you cannot wait, either place the top in a room with a heater in it to get the material to stretch so it makes it easier to install; once its warm, you and your buddy run outside with it and try to put it on as fast as you can.

3. Have a buddy give you a hand with the channel screws......(read that one on the forum, cannot elaborate from experience)

4. the rear windows can be rolled, and so can the rear windshield if you want to offroad with them rolled up......(my buddy does this and says he has no trouble with it)

5. use tent sealer at all the seams to insure a dry seat

Hope this is helpful and I hope everyone contributes from their own experiences!!!!!

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

Crossfit-Forging Elite Fitness

Last edited by John Smith; 03-10-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK, here is a new mod I did to the trektop to turn it into a bikini top.

ok, so what I did after the top has been fully installed.
Items needed:
4 ball bungee cords or 2 buckle straps
4 pieces of 1' long double sided velcro (velcro that can bind to itself)

Step 1, open rear doors
Step 2, unhook rear window from J channel and unzip it
Step 3, Open tailgate
Step 4, roll rear windshield down with a towel to protect the window from damage. (I placed the towel on the inside and rolled it)
Step 5, use 2 velcro straps to secure the rolled rear windshield on the tailgate bar
Step 6, pull the little plastic tabs off the body so that the rear side windows are hanging
Step 7, use 1 ball bungee cord and slide it over the pole that runs across the rear. have the plastic portion hanging, then loop the other bungee ball over the roll bar in front of the cross member, then hook the hanging ball through the loop of that bungee cord

Name:  IMG_2398.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  662.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2399.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  631.9 KB

Step 8, repeat step 6 and 7 on the opposite side.
Step 9, make sure that the rear portion of the top is secure and wont slide off or snap off. If the bungee cords you have don't come with limiting sliders, I suggest you use twist ties to secure them.
Step 10, similar to the rear windshield, use a small towel (I used microfiber towels) and place them on the inside of the window then roll it up nice and tight.
Step 11, you will notice its not a straight roll and it kinda twists to the rear section of the jeep, so follow its normal lines and let it twist to the inside of the cargo area and using the velcro secure it to the roll bar.
Step 12, repeat step 11 on the opposite side
Step 13, enjoy the final product and your new bikini top that can be turned back in less than 10 mins to a trektop.

Name:  IMG_2400.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  665.7 KB
Note: in this picture I do not have the rear window rolled and secured, I just let it go under the jack and I left it like that for a while.

Note: I kept the bungee balls on, even with the trektop fully installed.
This has been done to a 4dr and I am not sure how it works or looks on a 2dr...sorry 2dr guys, someone can try it and post.
I will try to redo this and take more pictures that detail every step.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

post #3 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

holy hell i need a microscope to see those tiny pictures looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the bikini-top tip John. Will have to try it.

My 2 cents on the Trektop that I installed last week (will do a dedicated thread soon with pics)....

1. The included hardware for the windshield channel is a complete joke and I wouldn't even recomend using it. 4 out of the 8 bolts broke with very minimal torque. Do yourself a favor and take the bolt to your local hardware store and buy some quality ones.

2. The top itself and the stitching are well done.

3. I installed the top when it was 80 degrees out and got it pretty tight. I left the Jeep oustside yesterday when it was 90 and sunny and at lunch I was able to make it a lot tighter.

4. Gave it a good water test with the hose yesterday and it did pretty well. Will have to see how it does in a South Florida tropical storm with 30 mph winds. We will start getting those conditions soon every afternoon.

5. I have not had a chance to mess with it but I still get a lot of wind noise at both A-Pillars. When you look at the design I can see why but don't know how to fix it yet.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Moose
Not to be rude, but my kit only came with 2 bolt for the header channel, there were alot of bolts for the door surrounds.
Mine holds up great in the rain, but i am thinking of still hitting it with a waterproof spray once i take it off for the winter.
Its great to have 80 degree weather.....we are having super winds here!

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

post #6 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

rotcyboi
Yeah i know they are small
but i didnt know how to make them smaller, so i attached them as i took them.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

post #7 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Here you go.. Resized them...
Attached Images

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
Moose
Not to be rude, but my kit only came with 2 bolt for the header channel, there were alot of bolts for the door surrounds.
We may not be talking about the same thing. When I did my install I had to attach the two brackets to the header (4 bolts each). These are the brackets that the two knobs attach to when securing the header channel to the windshield frame. These 8 bolts are the ones that are total shit.

I got those changed out but need to resolve the wind noise now.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Benmar2000-thanks man, sorry about the huge enormous pictures. I appreciate you resizing them. I am going to take more pictures but i will make sure to make them smaller before posting them.

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM

Greetings! Did anyone have problems with installing the Windsheild Header with the 2 knobs? Mine don't seem to want to align correctly, unless I get another person to push down on the header plate....Can someone post a pic of how the header is assembled to make sure I have mine correct? Thanks!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperpd View Post
Greetings! Did anyone have problems with installing the Windsheild Header with the 2 knobs? Mine don't seem to want to align correctly, unless I get another person to push down on the header plate....Can someone post a pic of how the header is assembled to make sure I have mine correct? Thanks!
If it takes two people to get the knobs into the header then you installed it correctly...

As the header sits on the jeep the brackets should be facing the windshield.

Only thing I can say is it does get easier when it is warmer, last week it only took me 5 minutes to get the header on by myself, and 3 minutes for the rest of the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Wheeler

I get my header to seal up tight every time pretty easy. I just get one side started but not snugged, then start the other side. Push up and forward hard on the rear lip of the header as you tighten the knob and it gets pushed up to the front of the seal as you tighten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode