STOP The softop leak! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

STOP The softop leak!

Well I got another request for my old soft top leak fix write up that I had on JK-F. When I got banned over there... one of the 3 times they also deleted all my posts... even the handful of helpful ones. So without further a due:

I FIXED MY FUCKING LEAKING TOP!!!!

Fuck... I deleted the pics in photobucket.... will take new ones and finish this tonight

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Well I got another request for my old soft top leak fix write up that I had on JK-F. When I got banned over there... one of the 3 times they also deleted all my posts... even the handful of helpful ones. So without further a due:

I FIXED MY FUCKING LEAKING TOP!!!!

Fuck... I deleted the pics in photobucket.... will take new ones and finish this tonight
That was exactly how I fixed mine...LOL

Flick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Gecko Rubi Unlimited
post #3 of 37 Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Amphib I'll host your write-up pics for you until you get them setup on your end...

AMPHIBIOUS SOFTOP FIX
Use this weatherstripping from Lowes, pull all factory foam weather stripping off except for what you can see in the pics. Cut weather stripping to fit spots where foam was. Put a piece if DUCT TAPE where the rubber flange meets the door sill guard. Also put a piece in the door jam area. Works like a charm. Rained here a tons last month not one leak!!

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 11-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Wheeler

with weatherstripping that thick it better not leak! ... gonna give this a go myself since the rain will soon be upon us
post #5 of 37 Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

thanks SAS work has been hell! try to get it done this weekend

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #6 of 37 Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 AM
JKO Addict!

i'm going to try this today.... thanks for the pics
post #7 of 37 Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Wheeler

Had my first real leak yesterday. If I don't see that I screwed up putting on the top somehow, I'll be doing this. Thanks!

-Brian
post #8 of 37 Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

All those pictures are from when I did my leak fix. Greenamphibious helped me out back on JK-F before he got banned . They deleted his threads so I decided to post some pics of my install according to his directions, figured I could help others out too. Anyways it works like a charm and all credit goes to GreenAmphibious for the mod!
post #9 of 37 Old 03-13-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0341 View Post
All those pictures are from when I did my leak fix. Greenamphibious helped me out back on JK-F before he got banned . They deleted his threads so I decided to post some pics of my install according to his directions, figured I could help others out too. Anyways it works like a charm and all credit goes to GreenAmphibious for the mod!
ya those are your pics Chrysler beeter pay up!

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #10 of 37 Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

would this work for the door sills as well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #11 of 37 Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

yes I you put a 2" piece where the op fold.... nice to have dry seatbelts

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #12 of 37 Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Perfect timing on finding this post - it has been raining since Thursday in NJ, and isn't supposed to stop until Tuesday. My top/door is leaking like crazy on the pass side!

I'm headed to Lowes to pick up the weather stripping in a few!

Thanks for the write up.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #13 of 37 Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

I wish those MF'ers would pay up. We could split the dough man, you for the write-up and me for the pics. If I ever see my LSU hat in any pic they use for water leaks, I am going to nail those bitches!
post #14 of 37 Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I need to do something similar to fix my damn wind noise since the sport cage moved the door sills around a little bit. Sucker whistles on both sides from 30mph on!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 37 Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
Perfect timing on finding this post - it has been raining since Thursday in NJ, and isn't supposed to stop until Tuesday. My top/door is leaking like crazy on the pass side!
Haha, I think that storm claimed my dry-ness too. Since then (including today's rain) has resulted in leaks on both sides. I actually had water on my dash and a foot-bath on the drivers side. Will be trying this one out.

Thanks for the writeup

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #16 of 37 Old 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Dash water leak is the header seal failing above the windshield, they'll change that provided your under warranty. My last visit they finally got it fixed and I will be doing Jason's writeup that I posted here if it leaks again.
I am well out of warranty mileage unfortunately. It's mainly door leaks over the locks, but, when we had crazy wind-driven rain, it was coming down the a-pillar, out the molding and onto the dash behind the little speaker. I think from the corners of the door opening where the stuff is getting placed in the pics above. Maybe I'll look into getting a new strip of crap for the top of the windshield too.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #17 of 37 Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

man i tried this mod and my drivers side is good but it was pooring all day and i guess the weather stripping i used was to think in spots and it caused my passenger side to leak even worse, i had so much water i had to pull the drains on that side. glad i bedlined the tub the other day

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #18 of 37 Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Rock God

I remember some dude posting about his top leaking cause of the rear flaps not being put on correctly. So make sure you got that part right for sure...

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #19 of 37 Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

The leak issue is really freaking weird. Can go 5-10 rains storms and no leak, then the next one it will leak, then not leak for the following one. This is with out taking the top down or moving it. What can I say....ONLY IN A JEEP

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #20 of 37 Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

well after all the rain we have had... not a drop to report

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #21 of 37 Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via MSN to interceptor_1972 Send a message via Yahoo to interceptor_1972

Any pics yet? The ones that SASQUATCH posted don't seem to be showing up either
post #22 of 37 Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

send the pics to me, ill host them on my site. i never delete pics off there. lol

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #23 of 37 Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All I did was buy the cheap weather stripping at Lowes and cut it to cover the entire length where the soft top clips in to the door surrounds. I have a bunch of strips cut to size and the weather stripping has sticky shit on the back side. I just stick it on across the top, shut the door and it stays put. Take it off as necessary for putting the top on, and often theres enough sticky sgit left to stick it back on again. I have used the same roll for 2 years and it was like $6. I still have enough left to replace each side once (5 ft or so). No leaks and it's cheap and effective. And when I say no leaks, I mean none, not even that little shit that used to drip straight on to where the handle is.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #24 of 37 Old 05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Wheeler

I cant seem to see any pictures.
post #25 of 37 Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Well.. I finally got around to doing mine yesterday... Got tired of the leaks.. So I kind of followed the write up..

First - You need to rip off this piece of shit they call a seal.. You see a small piece of the weather stripping I used.. I just put the weather stripping in place of that seal..

Here is a pic of the left over roll..

It survived a major rain storm last night.. So I know this fix worked.. And glad.. Got sick of having a wet floor and carpet.. Even though I am thinking of ripping out the carpet and going bed liner..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode