Total control lockers for Rubicons - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Total control lockers for Rubicons

OK so I spent this afternoon making it so I don't have to be in 4lo to play with my lockers. With little rock crawling and more muddy trails with extreme holes I was finding the need to have the rear locker selectable while in 4HI. While I was doing it I figured I might as well do the front too
So the research started and a quick trip to Canadian Tire was in order.

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
I bought 2 switches with flip up covers
1 pack of female spade ends
1 pack of... red wire splicer clip things that rock
and 7 feet of dual wire
Zap Straps

TOOLS NEEDED
10mm wrench
10mm socket and extention
Pliers
Drill with any size bit
Sharp Knife
Phillips screwdriver

Here is how it came together.

1) Use you 10mm wrench to undo the battery clamps
2) Use your ratchet extention and 10mm socket to pull the bolt from the battery hold down in front of the battery
3) Remove the battery

4) The locker solonoids are the two little black boxes hanging beside the battery on the passenger side. Use youe Phillips screwdriver to remove the little screw holding the 2 locker solonoids in place. When you remove the screw be sure to also remove the plastic clip it goes into so you don't loose it.

5) Pull off or carefully cut off the plastic wrapping that is on the wires under the solonoids. You will notice the solonoids do not move too far from there original location so it is a little awkward but it can be done. you need to remove enough so that you can get one of those snazzy red slicerclips in there, so about 2 Inches

This is the snazzy splicer clip thing..

6) Each solonoid has a purple wire and 3 yellow wires.. the purple wires are the ones you want. the front locker is a purple with blue line and the rear locker is purple with a green line. Set one snazzy red clip thing onto both purple wires. Seperate your dual wire a little bit.. about 4" down but don't strip the ends.

7) Stick the ends of your dual wire into the its spot in the snazzy red clip. 1 wire for the front locker 1 wire for the rear locker. Use your pliers to close he clips and then reinstall the solonoids using the plasic holder and philips screw. Then reinstall your battery.

8) Run your wires across the back of your firewall to the rubber gromet on the drivers side. Poke a hole in the grommet and run your wires through into the cab. Zap strap your wires along the way under the hood so they can't move around while wheeling.

9) Take off your drivers door for easier access and pull off your side pannel of the dash. No tool is required jus pull on it.

10) Mark where you want to put the switches and use your drill to hollow out a hole the right size. Take your time and keep checking fitment.. you can always drill more out but it is hard to put some back.

11) If you like it so far.. drill another one right beside it and repeat step 10

12) Take a piece of your dual wire about 8" long off the end of your 7' chunck. Put the female spade ends on both wires comming out of the firewall and both wires at one end of the 8" chuck then strip the other two ends of the small chunk about 1" and twist them together.

13) Plug your spade ends from the solonoids to the top of your switches and plug the spade ends of the 8" chunk into the bottom of your switches.

14) Take you 10mm socket and remove one bolt from the firewall behind the dash, this is a good ground, take the ends of the wire that are twisted together and put behind the bolt and retighten the bolt down snug.

15) Put the panel back on the side of the dash and enjoy the freedom to use your lockers when you want.

When the switch is on the locker light will blink and never actually go steady but the locker will engage. when the switch is off everything will work as normal.

I don't recommend going fast while your locker is engaged but if you are like me and need the traction and the wheel speed but not the 4:1 Low range this is for you.

I have my ESP completely disabled so I don't know how those will work together, I would disengage it before you switched your lockers in while in 4HI.

Happy Wheeling Ladies and Gents!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Awesome write up!

Thanks for posting dude
post #3 of 52 Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

no problem, I have been using these for over a year with no problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Rock God

I've done something close to this, however without all the fancy stuff you did. Did you have any lights or anything when you did this? I've got low voltage at the rear dif and my abs lights and others are on.

Thanks

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 52 Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWREVER View Post
I've done something close to this, however without all the fancy stuff you did. Did you have any lights or anything when you did this? I've got low voltage at the rear dif and my abs lights and others are on.

Thanks
wow man you screwed something up... all that should coe on is your selected locker light... and it should blink and never go steady.... your not running 12v power TO the relay are you?? this is a switched ground only.... no power.
post #6 of 52 Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Very nice writeup, now I have a project for the weekend

Just a couple questions; how do you permanently disable the ESP? Where's a good place to pick up the switches and everything?

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 52 Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I got my switches and junk from an autoparts store.

ESP is simple too but I have an 08 so I was able to disable it with a quick steering wheel dance.
post #8 of 52 Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

Great write up

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

post #9 of 52 Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Nice write up! I'm bookmarking this for a future project. Now..... Tell us about how you disabled ESP?

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 52 Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

on 08's and above there is a writeup in you owners manual to turn off BAS and ESP.. otherwise you have to tap into the main esp wire under the center console and put an interupter switch in
post #11 of 52 Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Yes, great write up! I'll definately be using this information.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #12 of 52 Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Granite Guru

Thumbs up

bump

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

post #13 of 52 Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Thumbs up

I have sent this write up via email to four different customers of mine with JK's and only one of them have heard of JKowners. Who knows thanks to your detailed thread you might have got us a few new members.

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

post #14 of 52 Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

nice write up. this is one of the first things i did to my rubicon. my only suggestion would be to use heat shrink connectors as opposed to scotch locks for tying into the factory wiring. the scotch locks are horrible about coroding and being right below the battery sure wont help either.
post #15 of 52 Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM

I'm planning to do this to my '08 JK Rubi, just haven't yet. But a slight change I will do is when using the red (or blue) in-line taps, I usually pack the thing with silicon grease before I snap it shut - this seems to seal up the innards, and I just got some liquid electrical tape to coat the outside so it is sealed completely. Then the splice should never have any corrosion issues.... Just my 2˘ worth for what it matters.
post #16 of 52 Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

I must be dumb, can you clarify steps 12 and 13? Maybe a diagram?

I understand the one wire from the solonoids but the attaching of the other piece is trowing me off.

Thanks,

greg

08 Flame Red Rubi
Not much done yet!
post #17 of 52 Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM

I think what you are needing to understand is the wires from the solenoid plug into the N.O. (normally open) side of the switch, then plug a short peice and plug into the other terminal and connect those wires to a nearby ground so when you flip the switch, you "turn-on" the ground curcuit. System works by going "to" ground to activate the needed solenoid. Any better??? Kinda-sorta-maybe???
post #18 of 52 Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrat View Post
I think what you are needing to understand is the wires from the solenoid plug into the N.O. (normally open) side of the switch, then plug a short peice and plug into the other terminal and connect those wires to a nearby ground so when you flip the switch, you "turn-on" the ground curcuit. System works by going "to" ground to activate the needed solenoid. Any better??? Kinda-sorta-maybe???
I understand what you are saying but cant visualize. a diagram would be greatly appreciated.

08 Flame Red Rubi
Not much done yet!
post #19 of 52 Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, great write up, I have the Spod, so would i run one wire (+) for the front locker (purple/blue line) since the the system is powered, grounded, relay'd, and fused.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #20 of 52 Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Ok, great write up, I have the Spod, so would i run one wire (+) for the front locker (purple/blue line) since the the system is powered, grounded, relay'd, and fused.
^This....

I'll order my S-Pod tomorrow, but I'm electricaly wee Todd Ed. Look for a bangin' write-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #21 of 52 Old 08-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
The "one wire" is from the solenoid - to the switch - thru the switch - to the ground. There is no "+" wire - as there is NO Battery "+" involved. All thats being done is adding your own manual path to ground. The Solenoid is already "HOT", and it only needs specified wire to go to ground to activate the the Solenoid which "turns-on" the locker. Do not in any way ADD a Battery "+" wire into the mix. There are separate wires for front and rear lockers - color codes listed above somewhere. **** At least this is my take on it. ****
post #22 of 52 Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok now I'm abit confused.

I know it's one wire..But? Which color coded wire..

Last edited by andrelopez99; 04-11-2011 at 08:40 PM.
post #23 of 52 Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Hummmm.... Well, I know nothing about "spod" - whatever that is. My system is as pictured at the top of this thread. Perhaps I too have it, but am not aware of it. I undrestand whats illustrated above completely. But.... I would think the above info would be right IF you have the realys located as they are shown at the start of this thread, and "tap-into" the listed wires coming out of the relays as shown. That way, you are dealing with the ground circut, and not a "hot" circuit that needs fused. Makes more sense to me anyway. If you don't have the relays located where shown above, well, then good luck. I've only had my '08 JK Rubi - well about 90 days I think, and is the only thing I have for reference. And have both Dana's out from under it, beefin' up the front housing, and have 5.38's to install and new Ultimate Axles for the front. Plus new drive shafts.
post #24 of 52 Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Wait... Wait... Wait... I looked up the "spod" - so it's a switch panel. Nice one at that it looks like. BUT - you still DON'T want anything -But- the switch to route thru. NO power at all. If it can be connected that way. Otherwise - will have to do as illistrated above. You are needing to "pass-thru" the switch to ground. If they are only a 12v switched source, and can't be changed - you can't use them - unless you add "another" relay - which would be un-needed if done as listed. Think - Simple-Is-Better...
post #25 of 52 Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks testrat, Got what I need...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode