LED Turn Signals and Side Markers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CDavisJK
LED Turn Signals and Side Markers

Background:
I've spent the past 3 months getting my LEDs setup properly, mostly due to Load Resistor issues. There are a few companies online selling automotive LEDS. SuperBrightLEDs and V-LEDs are two of the more popular ones. I went with V-LED because they are superior products in terms of brightness and features, however, these things are expensive. Not as expensive as full replacement LED tail lights. Plus, I prefer the OEM light housing and the OEM reflection look over the 4x4 Grid of full LED replacements.

LED Information:
LEDs can be much brighter than OEM bulbs, especially the higher quality ones with many diodes. Furthermore, they offer this brightness with less power. Most importantly, they achieve full brightness quickly. Compare LED lights to stock in the tail light video, the OEM light looks broken in comparison. This gives the driver behind you an extra split-second to see you braking before they might rear end you. LEDs also last longer, but the initial high cost might not save you any money in the long run. If you want to save money, do the rears first for safety. The fronts are mostly for looks.
Load Resistor Information:
The load resistors add resistance and draw more power. This eliminates the benefit of the power-savings from LEDs, but they make the electronic flasher work properly. Too bad Chrysler didn't want to spend the extra $300 to give us LED lights from the get go. The load resistors will get very hot so they need to be away from other wires and attached to a metal surface. Most LED 3157 'bulbs' will require a 6 ohm 50watt resistor.

Osram Bulb Replacement Guide: http://www.sylvania.com/sylvania/Tem...ACHEHINT=Guest

My Setup:
Front Turn Signals: TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING HID 6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 3157 with 3 ohm 50 watt load resistors on each LED. (I originally tried the 92 diode version, but they were too long for the turn signal housing, the 60 fit with a little room to spare. Took me forever to realize that 3 ohms was needed. The SRT8 Cherokee guys differ between 1.2, 1.5, and 3 ohms, and I tried the other 2 first. They will make your signals blink inconsistently or not at all. Even with 3ohms my blinker flashes white in between ambers, but it should not do this and does not on most other cars.)

YouTube - v-led switchback

Rear Turn Signals: V-LEDS RED 92 M-SMT TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 3157 with 6 ohm 50 watt load resistor on each LED. (Barely fit inside the rear taillight housing. But they are bright. No video of this yet).
OR V-LEDS RED V-STAR M-SMT TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT BULBS 3157 (Look better and are brighter because they face the rear, but they get caught up on the inside of the taillight housing when you turn them to lock them im place. Mine broken doing this, an expensive mistake).

V-Stars that I am no longer using:
YouTube - Jeep JK V-LED taillights

Front Side Markers: 2 AMBER SMT X5 HIGH POWER LED LIGHT BULBS 194 with no load resistor. (This faces outward which is correct, do not get a side firing LED)

License Plate: 2 HID WHITE 6 ANGLED LED FLANK BULBS 194 without load resistors. (These lights are angled but could be flat also).

Installation of LEDS and Load Resistors:
Just like regular bulbs. Twist the bulbs wiring harness and the lights will come out. LEDs only work in one direction so if they don't light up, turn them around. For the front turn signal load resistors, attach them to the ground wire and to the outside (not center) power wire. For the rear, attach the load resistor to ground and to the brake light wire (as opposed to the running light wire). I forget which one this is, but I think there was an indication on the plastic and I remember it being the odd-wire-out. I will try to snap a picture later. I used quick splices to tap into the wires. Make sure you have long wires to mount to load resistors as they get hot and will need to be mounted to metal. For the front turn signals mine are sitting in this metal half-cup thing directly behind the turn signal and the tail light load resistors are sitting on the body behind the tail light. With these load resistors I have stopped hyper-blinking and every thing appears to be working normally.

Last edited by CDavisJK; 03-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 AM
JKO Addict!

great information! thanks
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been looking to do this for a real long time... Thanks for being the guinea pig... Looks Great!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update: Here is a video of the 92 diode cylindrical style LEDs and you can also see the license plate light.

YouTube - Jeep JK V-LED 92 diode SMT
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavisJK View Post
Update: Here is a video of the 92 diode cylindrical style LEDs and you can also see the license plate light.

YouTube - Jeep JK V-LED 92 diode SMT
Do you have a link to the ones you got?

Thanks
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

can u post up all the links to what u need to get this working? im very interested in using this.. just the front turn singals..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

bump

post #8 of 8 Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

http://www.v-leds.com/3157-3156-LED/...91-1-2//page/1

These are the ones I got. Again, 92 diode cylinder-style will fit in the tails and the 60 diode cylinder-style will fit in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode