Viair 400H ( 400C) torture test - Small compressor > Big results - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Viair 400H ( 400C) torture test - Small compressor > Big results

Anybody who read my thread about the speed of the 400H and 400C compressors knows that I had a little torture testing that I've been wanting to do. Finally had some warmer weather today and I've completed the torture test.

Some back story, and why am I doing this? The 400H and 400C are the same compressor, other than the fact that the 400H has an integrated on off switch. These two compressors are very interesting for two reasons. First off they are among the fastest compressors that Viair offers, putting up to 2.56 CFM. The are also among the lease expensive compressors that Viair offers. Their size makes them a natural to install in the JK engine compartment.

Viair Compressor Speed Comparison Data:

For the price and size the 400C and 400H stand out as the speed leaders, in a big way.

The big question for these compressors is duty cylce. Rated at 33% duty cycle at 100 PSI, how would they do filling tires?

My first test was filling 8 tires, connected through an air manifold to 4 tires at a time. The first set of tires were 37's on 17" rims and they were followed by 35's on 15"rims. The fill time for all eight tires was 50 minutes. So with no more than a very short break the compressor did not overheat with a 50 minute run time. Of course, I wanted to know more so... I decided to torture this little compressor and here's what I did.

My goal was to see how long the compressor would run. These compressors are are equiped with thermo-protection and automatically shut down when they get too hot. I gathered up a 20 gallon air tank, 50 foot air hose, a high quality liquid filled Wika pressure gauge, infrared thermometer and a stop watch (later on, I had to find a 5 gallon water bucket - more on that later). I installed the pressure gauge on the air tank hooked one end of the air hose to the compressor and the other end to the air tank. I turned the compressor on and let it run, until the tank reached 30 PSI. I then opened the air tank drain valve and adjusted it, to where the pressure even. I didn't have a way to keep the pressure at a prefect 30 PSI, but it never dropped below 26 psi and never went above 34 PSI. Now these things get hot. REALLY HOT. After the compressor ran for a few minutes, I noticed that the air hose wasn't looking very good. The air coming out of the compressor was heating it and it looked like it was going to fail so I gathered up 5 gallon bucket of water. I emersed the quick connect fitting and a couple feet of hose to keep the air hose cool. This wouldn't effect the testing of the compressor in any way. Every ten minutes, from the 50 minute mark on, I checked the temp of the compressor head and outside cylindar wall.

Here is the data:

Here's the graph:

Results and Conclusion:

After the compressor filled the 20 Gallon tank, it ran for 2 hours 32 minutes, then shut down. After about 20 minutes if fired back up again.

On the tire fill testing the compressor filled four 37" tires from 9 PSI to 27 PSI in 16 minutes.

What have we learned from all this? First of all, we know that this is only a 33% duty cycle compressor. But two and a half hours at 30 PSI, that's friggin great. For filling tires, the 400C and 400H represent what I believe is by far the best value for compressor based onboard air systems.

5/16 update: Torture test part duex.

This one was a different and done for the guys who have been concerned about how the 400 series compressors will run after being in a hot engine compartment. For this test I really turned up the heat. Here's the test.

After a 2 hour drive from the desert.

I set out to repeat the following steps over and over again until the thermal protection kicked in on the compressor. Fill the 2 gallon tank to 145 PSI, drain the tank to zero and repeat. I figure this is the compressor running at an average of about 110 PSI, which should really kick it's butt. I defined success for this test if it would run continuously for 20 minutes in this manner. This given I was pleasantly surprised that it ran for a total of 54 minutes. Again, the 400 series compressor kicked ass. This is the same 400H that I've used for all of my testing.

As far as tires fills are concerned, I did gather one piece of data today. If I fill the tank to 145 PSI and turn the compressor off, the tank will fill one tire from 9 PSI to 18 PSI.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Great test with great results. I'll be ordering 400 in the future as soon as I get a bracket. Speaking of that, you ever get the bracket issue resolved?

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Great test with great results. I'll be ordering 400 in the future as soon as I get a bracket. Speaking of that, you ever get the bracket issue resolved?
Yup

The guys from Two Track Minds have started a new company (Sinister Fab Works) and they will be selling them.

They should be shipping next week.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Granite Guru

interesting data woods! I'm definitely thinking about ditching the 450 now...and getting a POWERPLANT! Hahahaahahhaaa.

You'll be hearing from me for a dual 400 setup in a few months...
post #5 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Garage

See you in 7 days Brashanic.

Edit: Perma gone now.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Good job those results are good to have when on the market for a compressor
post #7 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

You swing that hammer hitmoney

I might have to get me one of these. The price looks good

post #8 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM

how much that compressor cost you
post #9 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualy View Post
how much that compressor cost you
400H is $214 shipped
400C is $190 Shipped

LINK

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #10 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Dude, damm you I was trying to ban via my phone. Your quickness fucked that up
post #11 of 103 Old 03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Openly Hostile

I'll have one of these as soon as woods gets the brackets. It will be nice not to have to worry about filling my co2 tank anymore.

Those temps don't surprise me, I burned the shit out of my hand when we testing that day lol.
post #12 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Viair

I bought a Viair 450c and loved it till a friend bought a powerplant and is always waiting for me to finish my last tire, maybe the 400 was a better choice?
post #13 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford View Post
I bought a Viair 450c and loved it till a friend bought a powerplant and is always waiting for me to finish my last tire, maybe the 400 was a better choice?
We tested a 450 and a 400 on my 37's and the 400 was quite a bit faster.
post #14 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Anybody want to buy a 450c? lol
post #15 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Rock God

I went with the 400C due to the volume/speed, and love it. it does get hot!

Last edited by Slippery; 03-02-2010 at 04:05 PM.
post #16 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
I went with the 400C due to the volume/sped, and love it. it does get hot!
Yeah, I was shocked to see 300 degrees at one point.

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #17 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM

Is that because its mounted under the hood?
post #18 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Yeah, I was shocked to see 300 degrees at one point.
I want a way to hook up all 4 tires at one time for airing up, with possibly a cutoff regulator. Where do I get the right stuff?

post #19 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford View Post
Is that because its mounted under the hood?
No, it gets hot on a work bench. Compressing air makes heat, and this does it a lot in a small area.

post #20 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM

I have mine mounted behind the front bumper, so I dont normally feel or notice the heat.
post #21 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I want a way to hook up all 4 tires at one time for airing up, with possibly a cutoff regulator. Where do I get the right stuff?
I'm working on the four tire part of it. Nobody makes a cutoff regulator. The problem is that the regulator would need to be attached to one of the tires, as that's the only place where the correct pressure reading can be picked up.

Buy Woods Kits at:
post #22 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Where does the Dominion Offroad 2G Tank Mounting Kit mount the tank??

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=328020

Is this current...

Brackets before the tank is installed

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

Last edited by maverick; 03-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.
post #23 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Rock God

i want those brackets and that tank

when when when?
post #24 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I'm working on the four tire part of it. Nobody makes a cutoff regulator. The problem is that the regulator would need to be attached to one of the tires, as that's the only place where the correct pressure reading can be picked up.
OK, I'm game for a system with an in line indicator gauge that then splits 4 ways to clip-ons at the tires. I could also install an in-line pressure relief valve that blows when the desired pressure is reached. I only need to get the pressure close to head out. I could adjust the pressure manually at each tire then. Make a prototype?

Also, check out the manifold I build for the pressure relief valve, ARB system with regulator and switches, quick disconnect, etc. Changed it a little for the final install, but it fits nicely up against the firewall:

post #25 of 103 Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
OK, I'm game for a system with an in line indicator gauge that then splits 4 ways to clip-ons at the tires. I could also install an in-line pressure relief valve that blows when the desired pressure is reached. I only need to get the pressure close to head out. I could adjust the pressure manually at each tire then. Make a prototype?

Also, check out the manifold I build for the pressure relief valve, ARB system with regulator and switches, quick disconnect, etc. Changed it a little for the final install, but it fits nicely up against the firewall:
Very nice setup you got there.

I've been working on this for a while. Not sure about the pressure relief valve. I'll have to test it for a while before I would release anything like it.

Why do you use a regulator? I was thinking about going without, but maybe I'm missing something.

My kit will mount to an accessory plate that attaches to the compressor mount bracket and the whole assembly will fit between the compressor and the coolant tank/washer fluid area.

Buy Woods Kits at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode