Front Bumper Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Front Bumper Build

After looking around at all of the bumpers on the market, I couldn't find one that was exactly what I wanted. I liked the Red Rock Pre-Runner bumper but the bumper was a little to long and as you know, are no longer selling their bumpers. I decided to build one exactly to what I wanted and save some $$$ at the same time. I ordered some shackle mounts from AtoZfabrication, bought some 1/4" - 9" flat bar, 6" flat bar, 5" flat bar and 2" flat bar and started piecing it together.

I first cut some plates to bolt to the frame, which I cut a hole in for the shackle mounts and welded them to the plate on the front and back. I didnít get a picture of them but I used his shackle mounts and this design:
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=275&page=1

After that, I started the bumper and cut some holes for the shackle mounts to protrude through and I ended up with this:

After getting everything tacked in, I welded it all together, cut some holes for the factory fog lights and grinded everything smooth. Building bumpers is when I REALLY wish I had a mig welder instead of my stick welder:

Here it is after the test fit on the Jeep:

As I said, I like the red rock pre-runner bumper so I wanted the tube work similar. After getting the front main tube mocked up, I wasnít sure if I wanted to do some plate on the down tubes with dimple die holes or use tube like the redrock bumper so I will go back and add either one at a later date:

I plan to add some plate to the down tubes at an angle to the bumper with some dimple die holes in it at a later date. After that, it got painted and mounted and it was done:

2008 Unlimited X
2" Synergy Hybrid Lift, 5.13's and 37's on 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

looks pretty good, what was your total price and time spent on it?

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #3 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Fire View Post
looks pretty good, what was your total price and time spent on it?
x2?? Awesome bumper!

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks! Price was $75 for the flat plate,$25 for the shackle mounts and $30 in 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The pipe I got from a subcontractor at work so $130 total in the bumper. I have about 16 hours into building it.

2008 Unlimited X
post #5 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

I think that's the plan then, build my own... My only problem is that I am going to have to learn to weld... And bend pipe... And do any metal work whatsoever... This could be a long build... NICE JOB!

Boomer (aka Chris)
'07 X 2Dr, Steel Blue Metallic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5" BB, Black wheels & 33's...
post #6 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Rock God

That looks awesome.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #7 of 34 Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Rock God

That came out very nice......I'm in the same boat, I can't really find just one bumper that stands out to me, if I see one that I kinda like it is always very expensive..so, with the help of a very good friend who has all the equipment, we are gonna build one for my JK. I think it will be very similar to yours but I want to have my winch recessed down into it but also reuse factory lights?!?!!? We will see..

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #8 of 34 Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Granite Guru

Love the bumper.. Looks a lot like mine I did last year.. Just didn't include light holes and made mine a little bigger cause we're gonna mount a winch INSIDE with an access panel on top... Also used square tubing for hoop and grill gaurd... Cause it's hip to be square, except when it comes to headlights!
post #9 of 34 Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba08 View Post
Thanks! Price was $75 for the flat plate,$25 for the shackle mounts and $30 in 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The pipe I got from a subcontractor at work so $130 total in the bumper. I have about 16 hours into building it.
Damn dude.... thats awesome and I am jealous!
post #10 of 34 Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice DIY, only suggestion or "IMO" would be I would have added additional support to the bar (gusset) just in the case you would ever put any excessive pressure on it.

Either way, its a great looking bumper for a fraction of the cost....

/

post #11 of 34 Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work!

What are the odds of Thomas Mfg having this in their "line" of quality bumpers
post #12 of 34 Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Nice DIY, only suggestion or "IMO" would be I would have added additional support to the bar (gusset) just in the case you would ever put any excessive pressure on it.

Either way, its a great looking bumper for a fraction of the cost....
Read above, I plan to add some support to the tube but I haven't decided to use plate or tube yet.

2008 Unlimited X
post #13 of 34 Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice Job... I like it better than my RR!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The weather is getting a little more bareable outside so I decided to go ahead and add the much need support plates for the front hoop. I was thinkning of adding tube but I am glad I decided on the plate with speed holes instead. Bumper is now complete until I get a winch!

2008 Unlimited X
post #15 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Granite Guru

That looks really good!!

Gus

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
CONFIDENCE is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
post #16 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice addition. Gotta love speed holes.
post #17 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

awesome looking bumper, let me know if you get the urge to build another one. I had a buddy back in MD that was starting to teach me the beginnings of fabricating before I moved and I'd love to keep learning and building.

WSOffroad listed a winch for sale, but looks like there's 1 person in line for it. looks like a good deal though

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #18 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyB View Post
awesome looking bumper, let me know if you get the urge to build another one. I had a buddy back in MD that was starting to teach me the beginnings of fabricating before I moved and I'd love to keep learning and building.

WSOffroad listed a winch for sale, but looks like there's 1 person in line for it. looks like a good deal though

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39544
I am not in the market for the winch right now so I would have to pass anyway. I can help you out with any questions you might have if you are getting into fabricating. Shoot me a PM!

2008 Unlimited X
post #19 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

love the plate and speed holes you added, looks sick!!

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #20 of 34 Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dude ...great work!!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #21 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

Nice looking bumper! Nice work man

NRA Member!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

2007 Rubicon

post #22 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

dang man. thats some great welding for a stick welder. im still in booger welding school with mine lol

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #23 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
dang man. thats some great welding for a stick welder. im still in booger welding school with mine lol
Thanks. It is all about practice and using the right rod. I bought some new 7018 rod to add these onto my bumper and I had forgotten how good a rod burns in when it is brand new and moisture free.

2008 Unlimited X
post #24 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hmmm maybe i need to go get some new rod. mine has been sitting in the shop for going on 2 years now.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #25 of 34 Old 11-05-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
hmmm maybe i need to go get some new rod. mine has been sitting in the shop for going on 2 years now.
Depends on the rod but yes you either need new rods or you need to set your oven on about 200 degrees and bake them until warm (less than 10 minutes) to get the moisture out.

2008 Unlimited X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode