Quick Shackle Fix - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quick Shackle Fix

I dont like to tighten down my shackles more than hand tight cause when I am in need of them I dont want to have to look for a damn wrench to loosen them. The problem I have with hand tight is they come loose and if I dont check them they end up almost falling off.

So I bought some 1/4 wire lock pins and pinned them down to prevent them from turning

I know its kind of lame but it works

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

how about a way to keep people from jacking them? i like the look of them on, but I've had enough stolen off my rig so I just leave them in my bag

I understand the Jeep thing
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

good idea. I use black zip ties. Just cut them loose with a pocket knife.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Great idea Joe. I hate having to retrieve a wrench every time I have to take them off to pull somebody.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Granite Guru

The only reason a shackle will loosen is if it is a mismatched pin and threaded ear and if that's the case you should throw it away. A shackle will never unscrew under load unless of course it's a mismatched pin in the threaded ear. Just thought id add what Iv learn at rigging seminares. What you have is a nice tool to help unscrew the pin easier, they can be stubborn and a simple hit with anothe shackel or what have you to the ear or bell of the shackle helps loosen them up as well if one does not have your fance pole pin. That is a pole pin right? Lol
post #6 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubicon View Post
The only reason a shackle will loosen is if it is a mismatched pin and threaded ear and if that's the case you should throw it away. A shackle will never unscrew under load unless of course it's a mismatched pin in the threaded ear.
Hanging from a bumper isn't "under load" so yeah it will loosen up as it rattles down the road. Good fix!
post #7 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
JKO Addict!

That is what I was thinking. I just leave a long carriage bolt the right size for the hole in my pin in the glovebox.

I keep it tight just to keep someone from "walking off" with my $35 shackles..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-27-2010 at 09:22 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to CallMeBooth Send a message via Skype™ to CallMeBooth

I painted mine with a rattle can that is a close match to my Red Rock and that seems to keep them pretty tight I have never had a problem with it losening. The paint in the thread seems to almost stick together a little bit to keep it nice and tight... But I can losen it and tighten it by hand...

2008 Red Rock 4 Door X
3" Teraflex Spring Lift
BFG KM2 35", LED Rock Lights
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
post #9 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Granite Guru

If my shackles where loosening from driving down the road I would take it as a hint that the threads in the ear are trashed and it belongs lost not to be used. I know this is popular with the shackles made in china.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Rock God

My Warn shackles NEVER come loose, but, I do leave them in the truck when not in use. People can take them and I don't need the clanks. Plus, people know that the truck is wheeled, don't need the shackles to prove it. I kid I kid!

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #11 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
If my shackles where loosening from driving down the road I would take it as a hint that the threads in the ear are trashed and it belongs lost not to be used. I know this is popular with the shackles made in china.
I used to run a rigging shop. Do yourselves all a favor, get a domestic shackle.

We imported TONS of wire rope, shackles, turnbuckles, etc.... I saw way too many instances of bad metallurgy, incorrect sizing, bad design, etc...

You're pulling and your $30,000 + rig is on the other end? Use Domestic.

My $.02

post #12 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulVento View Post
I used to run a rigging shop. Do yourselves all a favor, get a domestic shackle.

We imported TONS of wire rope, shackles, turnbuckles, etc.... I saw way too many instances of bad metallurgy, incorrect sizing, bad design, etc...

My $.02
Is there stamping on the location? I have to look at mine, got them from Tractor supply, 6 1/2 ton 3/4"s

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Nope, not always, if it isn't dogged down it can rattle loose over time. Shackles work loose on a lot of applications. Many marine applications are taped, tied or wired for this very reason.

Last edited by Jollydodger; 11-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulVento View Post

My $.02
on that note be advised there is now a chinese shackle maker called "made in usa" ensure you are using a true domestic shackle and if you dont mind spending a little extra buy alloy. for all of my load handling the company now has to have their name or trademark forged on the shackle. now you can mouse a shackle with mousing wire but that is not practicle for our application, tighten your shackles hand tight then back them off a quarter turn and use a ziptie to mouse them into place.

Also save yourself some coin on shackles and such call your local rigging shop and buy them. you are not paying the mark up of the offroad companies after they bought them from a rigger. if anyone wants to know more pm me and i will point you in a good direction for rigging supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode