Bestop Element doors uppers and lowers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Bestop Element doors uppers and lowers

Trying to add some threads on this site so this is a write up and review from a while back.. pix are of my old JK. If you read all the way through you will read when I tested these doors through a 3500 mile trip and through a heavy blizzard.

I got my Bestop Highrock Element door combo.

Element- front - 51796-35
Rear - 51800-35

Enclosure - front - 51792-01
Rear - 51804-01

Uppers - front - 51805-35
Rear - 51806-35

I sold my full doors for these doors so I want them to be as functional as possible in cold and warm weather. One of the main reasons I wanted these are so I don't have to carry my full doors into the house and so I can have half doors. I figured when I want no doors I can throw the lowers into the back... WRONG! ... stupid me didn't think it through all the way and it turns out the lowers are pretty heavy and somewhat fragile after I paint them.

I just finished doing the lower part of the front passanger door. it took a good 2 - 3 hours to get the the pockets, element doors and cover together. Should be much quicker with the rest though. The hardest part was to put the cover on. And TRUST me, if you expect to easily remove it and throw it back on, you will be dissapointed. I don't think I will ever remmove the cover. Then I put the door on the Jeep. The first thing I noticed is that the locking device ain't perfect. You have to push it in (from the outside), or pull it (from the inside), just a little for the locking device to work. I tried everything and it's not getting better. But it's no big deal. Next thing I noticed is that these things are SOLID! The door does not shake even the slightest. They stay on just as good as the factory doors. That is better than I expected. I put the seal strip on but I can tell you that from all around there is about a 1-2mm gap that light shines through. At the front (especially were the door pins are) there are LARGE gaps, anywhere from 1 cm - 1 inch. I solved this by getting some Automotive weatherseals at Lowes from $7 (per door). I glued the seals onto the bestop seals and it PERFECT. at the pins I had to make 3 layes of seals at one portion but all around it came out great. No light shines through anywhere and the rubber doesn't budge at all when the door is closed.

The other 3 doors took 20-30 min after you get the hang of it.

Than I put all the lowers onto the Jeep and used extra rubber sealant bought at Lowes to seal EVERYTHING... some portions took 3 layers of seals.

Than I painted the doors. I used duplicolor with clear coat. The colors don't match perfectly but it was cheap ($70). and it will always be covered in mud so who cares?

Than the uppers... you have to fit them on the highway. Put the uppers on and get on the interstate and go 70 mph. in 10 min stop again and bend and fit the uppers again. After 5-10 times they should be on perfect. It won't look symetric and perfect on the outside but it works. And I have no rain getting inside at ALL.

The door handles don't work great. The driver door needs to be jerked 2-4 times from the outside to open. The passanger door needs to be pushed in a little to open. The rears work fine. They all open from the inside with no problems. Note that due to the "handle" on the inside, it will be unconftorable for some passangers to open the doors. little kids probably won't have the strength to open the doors. My mother can't really even open the door ffrom the inside. That is not a error... that's how the handles are. *** I fixes all the locks and NOW they open from 1 try... still a little strength required.

Front of one door

back of the door... notice that it mounts to door frame by (1)mirror mounts (2) Door locks (3) 2 tabs on the lower portion.

You can see tie-down here that go around the rollbar... read furthur for the reason behind this..

I drove from Orange County to San Francisco than to NY. I drove through the blizzard and had the I80 close on me. I also drove through a storm full of tornados. I saw 2 trucks fall on their sides soley due to wind in right in front of me. (they were weaving so hard that I didn't pass them and just waited for them to get off the I70.... but they kept going until they both fell on their sides). I also saw parts of houses on the interstate. The weather was BAD!!!! I drove through ice, snow and hard rain that lasted for 5 hours at a time. Also drove though winds they say (and I believe) were from 45 -75 MPH.

These doors were tested!!!

In the end result they are still on. I did not have one drop of rain inside the Jeep. If put on correctly they are weather PROOF!!!!

They are louder than full metal doors (expected). it's like having the soft top all around. But it's bearable and you can still talk on you cell phone.

The weather inside the jeep is not noticeably different than with full metal doors. I drove through 20 degree weather and moost of the time through 36 - 45 degree weather. It may be a 4 degree difference in comparison to full metal doors.

The uppers will flap in the wind only at 70 + mph. Simple solution is to get small tie down things and wrap them through the upper frame of the soft uppers closer to the rear. When you get inside, just attach them to the rollbar (takes 2 seconds per door). I put the tie down things at the rear and front part of the soft door but only used the fronts when the wind was over 35 mph from my side.... and I did not see the front flap without the tie downs... just reassurance.

The windows stretched noticeably due to the high winds. They are still find and functianal just look more bubbly. That pisses me off! The soft top windows are as good as new so these should be too. will try to get them replaced. But again... that is only due to 40 mph winds which most of yuo won't drive through so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Another thing..... rust!!! WTF!!!! I did not expect rus to be on parts of the door that Bestop painted. The rust showed up only after 5 days of use. So put some rust preventer prior to installing these doors. Put the preventer on the inside of the ddoors as well!!!****** I fixed the rust issue.... make sure you paint EVERYTHING... including the metal parts of the uppers!!!!

Alright.... now my opinion....

These doors are not for everyone. I love them and will keep working on them to make them perfect for my use. I plan to build some kind of cage to hold the lowers in the rear and take them off when I get to the trail and throw them in the back. They are somewhat fragile so you want something holding them so they ddon't get dinged up when in the back.

These doors are for someone who want the ability to take apart your doors easily. To throw the uppers in the back and the lowers as well with some protection.

As you can see that they are great in ALL weather. For me they are my all season doors.

These doors are NOT for you if you can't maintain them (rust and some adjustments). They are not for you if you want looks (in my opinion at least), because I bet in a year they won't look as goodd as now with moderate abuse). They are not for you if you want ccomfort and ease when inside the jeep, as they are hard to open and are louder than full doors.

But for those that expect a little noise, a little maintanance, and the ability to have doors like a lego (easily taken apart to fit you needs), than these doors are probably as good as it will get.

In the end, I guess I love them... after some more work they are perfect for me and much more functional compared to my full metal doors.

Plus individually each piece is not that expensive to replace.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com

Last edited by OlegRock; 02-15-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Nice write up - bad stickers!
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write up!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

Are you still running these as a year round door? I am seriously considering doing the same thing.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
Are you still running these as a year round door? I am seriously considering doing the same thing.
Yes I am.... but if I where you id wait to see the quality of the new rugged rigde doors that were presented st sema

post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I've been receiving a few questions on these doors... so here is an update...

I still run these doors as my only doors. The lowers have been run often in the last few years. However due to the great weather in CALI and the fact that I don't even own any top (soft or hard)... I haven't run the uppers much. Maybe 20 days a year max... and only with a bestop safari top. Everything still works and looks as good as it did when I just got the doors. Every so often when I clean the lowers I touch up the bedliner but that's due to the fact that I painted the doors myself. I am sure that if you use the uppers 300 days a year you'll want to replace them every 3 years due to stretching. But the stock uppers aren't any better.

These are still my #1 choice in doors even with everything else out there. However my reasoning for this is simple... the steel enclosure is sold for under $100 a piece... therefore when I put the JK on it's side and dent the enclosure it will be VERY cheap to replace it.

Most people don't expect to beat their JK like I do. Therefore the only competitor in the price range is Rugged Ridge with the new doors they showed at Sema. RR makes awesome doors but they are above the price range of these doors. If I was currently looking for half doors I would consider waiting until the RR doors are released and check out their quality.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Oleg, I like your setup. I'm giving it some serious consideration. Thanks for the writeup. I'm sure that River Raider doors will be top quality but I like the idea of relatively inexpensive replacement option. I'd use my full doors for DD use and the half doors for wheelin.

Last edited by rubirobv; 11-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the response.

My doors take a beating (mostly on the passenger side), and I am seriously considering replacing my full doors with these. I had originally considered the full soft doors, but I think these would be a bit better for full time use.

How much would a set of used full doors sell for?
post #9 of 10 Old 11-13-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
Thanks for the response.

How much would a set of used full doors sell for?
IDK.... Previously I sold my 4 full doors for around $2700 on ebay... they had manual windows.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Update..... these doors and much better then I thought. These are tough mofo's. I planned to roll on these doors and figured it's cheap to replace the outer shell. However I had most of my jeep on a rock resting on the front door. The outer shell has no damage... just some paint touch ups. The only thing is that the locking handle broke. A new one is $15 from bestop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode