My M416 build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
My M416 build

Ok so a little back story as I try to catch everyone up. About a month ago I was thumbing through CL as I always do and came across an ad for simply "A used 4x6 trailer for $300"....click....and to my surprise its a M416, a very worn out M416, but still a M416. So with a bit of doubt on its availability I call the number anyway. Surprise, its still available he says and after about 5 minutes I realize that this guy has no clue as to what he has in his possession...

So we make a time to meet up and to shorten the story a bit....I inform him that even a decent M416 will usually only fetch $600-$900 and that's being generous so I'll give ya $150 cash right here, right now!....SOLD!...

And here is what my $150 got me....

The Good Side!

The Not-so-good Side

The Ugly Truth

The Tail Gate (ish thingy)

So to be honest with ya, if it wasn't for the fact that the $150 wasn't that big of a deal to me, I could have just built from scratch at this point. But hey, I consider it a light weight base to start from.

Build pics to follow.....Oh and if there are any diehards out there that are convinced they can do something with this old tub, let me know, I still have it at my buddy's shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Loki646; 02-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok back with some more pics of the tear down and show just how bad this tub ended up being.

Here you can see the full extent of the numerous holes in the bottom as well as the whole passenger front corner. With no working landing the trailer was obviously left with the tongue lowered allowing water to pool.

At least the fenders are still good, just need to cut them and extend them once I get the new tires. Speaking of tires, these had a ton of tread left, too bad the sidewalls are all cracked from dry rot. Some people just don't know how to take care of a trailer when storing it.

I wanted to save the tongue, but it had been to hacked on and triple welded that I finally had to say F-it and build a whole new one. Oh and including the original Mil-spec green, I counted no less than 7 different colors having been used on this poor thing. I'd almost swear the paint job on this alone weighs more than most....

/

Last edited by Loki646; 02-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 122 Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Not bad for 150 i guess if the frame is still in good shape.
My favorite part about the M416 is the shape though, sucks the tub was shot.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I guess you can just build a new tub and the fact you have the frame and axle is a head start.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 122 Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

too bad youre so far away, I have a Willys MBT tub/frame sitting here in pretty good shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 122 Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
too bad youre so far away, I have a Willys MBT tub/frame sitting here in pretty good shape
Figures....after I already build a new tub.......and I'm going to be passing through Tx or at least part of it in July on my way to CO. Oh well.

And yes the axle was good, but still 5 on 5.5 with all the brake components either cut or rusted up and seized. The spring packs were just one good flex short of popping their rusted bindings. So I have a set of Rancho front springs for a CJ3 on order and I'm pricing out a re-fab of this axle to 5 on 5 or possibly just a whole axle replacement since I don't need a braking system at all on this.

I have more pics but if you don't want to wait for me to post them, I've started storing them on Photobucket, just click the link in my sig. Oh did I mention this is my first welding job....ever and I'm only using flux wire...(too lazy to get a tank)!

/

Last edited by Loki646; 02-09-2010 at 01:09 AM.
post #7 of 122 Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm by no means a pro at welding, but you may want to turn your heat up, it doesnt look like youre getting really good penetration. (thats also what she said by the way )

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 122 Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
I'm by no means a pro at welding, but you may want to turn your heat up, it doesnt look like youre getting really good penetration. (thats also what she said by the way )
I've been keeping it on the highest two settings until I got to the 16 gauge sheet work dropped to the 3rd highest and still getting some burn through. Its only a 110 welder so I'm limited a bit. My welds aren't pretty, but I'll be damned if they break....... I think the Flux wire is just to messy by nature to get the nice "stacked dime" finish. Eventually I'll break down and buy myself a tank and switch to full MIG, but for now just self edumacating, this is fine. I'm considering this build as my practice before I get to doing any welding on my Jeep.

Thanks for the insight though, it doesn't fall on deaf ear with me.

/

post #9 of 122 Old 02-11-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok , taking in a bit of reader opinion!

Does anyone else think as bad as the old tub is that I should go ahead and scrap it by trying to cut off and recycle the tie down hooks and the corner handles?

/

Last edited by Loki646; 02-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
post #10 of 122 Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great news...getting a 3500# axle with JK (5 on 5) hubs for right around $200 complete and bolt in ready, but doubtful on it being ready by the time the rest of the suspension gets here this weekend.

I took Saturday off from workin of the trailer to go spend the day wheelin up at one of the local ORV parks here in Florida...Hardrock ORV in Ocala. Sunday was spent mainly just doing some odds and end items on the trailer as I wasn't really in the mood to tear out a bunch of tools and spend a day of it like I did the weekend before. Maybe once the new parts arrive I'll be newly refreshed and motivated to spend another 12-14 hrs in the garage welding and grinding steel...

The framed in tailgate area:

My added corner armour:

The freshly painted spring plates & bump stops.

/

post #11 of 122 Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Looking good!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #12 of 122 Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok got the correct springs in today:
Front Leaf Spring for 10-Layer for Jeep
Products Model: 18201.02
Manufacturer: Omix-Ada
Fits Vehicle: 1941-53 Jeep MB Jeep CJ

Spent about 3 hours seeing if I truly could polish a turd...What do ya think?..

The stock shackles and pivot sleeves should arrive tomorrow and hopefully by Monday or Tuesday I'll have the new axle. From there if it will mount without a spacer I'll use my Jeep's spare as a guide tire for mounting the fender flares and deciding how much to extend them.

/

post #13 of 122 Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

On a happier note.....I got my axle.....I got my axle.....

and upon arriving home with it, what do I find on my door step...but these little beauties.....

So being the eternal kid on Christmas morning....I decide to breakout the wrenches and go to town....Only problem is I got just a wee bit ahead of myself when it came to those nice new shackles and I failed to check where that right threaded one was and where it was suppose to end up. Wouldn't you know I had it going into the trailer mount and not into the spring....

Fortunately with a little extra effort I was able to get it back out of the spring, though it was now striped of its outer threads. So I simply picked the best of the old stock and used it.:victory:

Once I got everything lined up I checked with little hope that the U-bolts that came with the new axle would work....Negative Ghost Rider! They were both too short for the 10 layer spring pack and too big in diameter to fit through the original spring plates. Solution: Pep Boys here I come! I picked up their only three and reused the one I was keeping as a sample and will replace it when I get another one.

And here is what it all looks like with the additional 2 inches in axle width. (estimate it will end up around 4-6 inches less than the Jeep's width.)

With the fender(held with magnets)

/

post #14 of 122 Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Looks great what width axle did you use? Hub face to hub face

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #15 of 122 Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Looks great what width axle did you use? Hub face to hub face

Jason
face to face measured out at 60.5"

/

post #16 of 122 Old 02-21-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Today was spent mainly finishing the interior welds of the sides to the floor and the remaining side rail.

Then while indulging in my bad habit of enjoying a smoke, I got motivated to pop these puppies on and get them set up for the tail gate that I have been avoiding due to trying to decide if I wanted a drop gate or swing gate. I gotta credit the River Raider thread for the idea for this part though I had considered using standard JK tailgate hinges and making it a swing out style.

First I set my marks at a quarter the gate opening and marked for the center of each hinge.

Next I shaved the excess metal and created a "tab" insert out of the Jeep JK hinges that I bought from a Jeep club member.

After creating the slots using a cutting wheel & the grinder, I inserted the "tabs".

I won't actually be welding them in until the tailgate is constructed and set in place as the tabs can still be adjusted to the thickness and final fit of the tailgate. Once that is done, a quick weld and cutting of the excess tab material. Best part, the hinges match the tow vehicle...

/

post #17 of 122 Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Man, I gotta tell you, I have never before enjoyed reading a thread regarding the building and fabrication of a f***ing TRAILER before, but I have NOW!

Subscribed, and anxious to see how this things turns out!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #18 of 122 Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
face to face measured out at 60.5"
Looks good, I am using a 65" axle for my project, for some reason I do not think I went wide enough.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #19 of 122 Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Looks good, I am using a 65" axle for my project, for some reason I do not think I went wide enough.

Jason
Nah, 65" face to face?...sounds fine, but it really comes down to backspacing and how wide the tires you use are in relation to the sides of the trailer and verticle wheel travel, my biggest problem at the moment is trying to invision future 35 or 37' while currently running 32s and getting the fenders in the right place while considering future upgrades. I wanted more side board space so I extended the axle width and therefore will extend the fenders. Right now I'm having a issue with wheels. Stock rubi's won't fit the Dexter axle due to the hub diameter. I picked up a pair of 1.5 adapters from here on the forum and after they arrived yesterday, it turns out they won't work either without machining them first.

I'm also waiting on my T-Latch for the tailgate to arrive, once I get it and determine the minimum thickness of the tailgate itself in relation to the latch, I'll start constructing it. I'm also still working out the electronics side of the build as I'm trying to consider what all I want for this, keeping in mind I only have till July to finish this and would prefer to have it by May for a run up to River Rock to test everything out and then just fine tune for the July Expedition Run.

And thanks for all the compliments, I'm just sharing the info as there isn't too many trailer write-ups on JKO, there are tons out there, just not in here and I'm trying to share the info that was the hardest for me to find in relation to using a JK as the TV.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 02-26-2010 at 02:22 AM.
post #20 of 122 Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Cool, my trailer is a bit wider 50" so even with spacers on the near 6" BS wheels I am running might be a tight fit.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #21 of 122 Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yesterday I finally decided to install the rear 2" receiver. I had previously bought a used hitch kit and was simply going to mount it as both the rear support frame and receiver, however at the last moment I chose not to. So this whole time it has been sitting on the floor in my way.

First step was to separate the beams from the actual receiver. Once that was done, I simply measured to the center of the trailer, made my marks and then proceeded to break out the saw-zaw.

Once that was completed it was as simple as welding it into place, grind to finish, and whaa-la. (will insert pic here when I get back home tonight)

Now tonight's plan is to take the remaining two beam ends and fab up a spare tire mount and start framing a basic temp lid for the whole trailer.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 03-01-2010 at 01:58 AM.
post #22 of 122 Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

The start of the rear tire rack/Hi-lift mount. (shown fully extended at 13" so the tire may end up mounted between upright and the tailgate.)

/

Last edited by Loki646; 03-02-2010 at 02:43 AM.
post #23 of 122 Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Sweet project
post #24 of 122 Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

A quick update before I go grab some lunch. I'm officially out of tubing so until I get some more 1"square I'm kinda halted on the lid. I did get the tail lights dry fitted. I'm re-using the ones that came with the original since they are already LEDs. I simply hole drilled 4" holes and sandwiched the sheet metal between the lens and the LED housing. This way once I fine some 4" rounds I like, its a simple swap out.

Recycling a pair of 150lb gate hinges that I've had hanging up in the garage for the last 3 yrs. I also have a bit of a tech surprise in the works for the lid. I have to display a touch of my geeky side even with the trailer for now just know its something you don't see everyday for these things.

/

post #25 of 122 Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Looking good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode