Daystar 1" Body Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Daystar 1" Body Lift

First, this is my first write-up so it might not be the best. It is kind of long, but I want to be thorough for anybody who is not used to working on vehicles but would like to install this kit (or a similar one) themselves. Second, please forgive the pictures. The install location changed due to rain and I forgot to bring my camera so I had to use my Blackberry. I wanted to do all of this work outside in my driveway to show that it could be done but it was raining so my friend let me use his garage.

The lift kit is a Daystar 1” body & 1.75” spring spacer lift. Thank you Phil D @ TrailDuty.com for getting it to me so fast.

The 1” Body Lift:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I can taste your meat from all the way up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Since this is a four door Jeep there are 6 mounts per side. From back to front:

1 at the back edge of the body

1 near the rear coil spring

1 in front of the rear wheel well

1 between the doors

1 behind the front wheel well

1 at the front end of the body

The front mount requires the grill to be removed to access it and is a little different than the others. Start by removing the grill first.

The grill is removed by unscrewing 6 plastic screws along the top of the grill first. After the screws are removed, pull the grill straight away from the vehicle to unfasten the clips that run along the bottom (I slid a hand behind the grill and pushed where each clip seemed to be to avoid cracking the grill). After that you only have to disconnect the blinkers on either side. I have a winch that had to be loosened in order to make room for the bottom clips to be unfastened.

Quote:
post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Next you will want to loosen (but not remove) all of the nuts and bolts that hold the body and mounts in place. Each mount has two nuts (16mm) and one body bolt (18mm). The front mount has a nut instead of a bolt. If you decide which side you want to do first, you can save time by removing the nuts and bolts from this side rather than just loosening them. The body bolts have retaining clip/washer on them so they will not simply fall out once they are loose.

After all the nuts and bolts are loose and one side has been removed, you will need to jack up the body on the side that has had the nuts and bolts removed. As this is a Jeep with some height to it already, a taller jack would be preferred. The instructions say to place a 4x4 or 4x6 board between the body and the frame. I also opted to place some jack stands underneath the factory rock sliders as well.

Remove the body mounts one at a time and install the stud extenders and spacers. Don't forget to include a few drops of Loctite (supplied with the kit) on the stud extenders.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

I placed the mounts in a vice to secure the stud extenders. There were no torque specs so I tightened them as tight as I could with a 5/8” wrench.

The front mount is just a bit different but it requires the same procedure.

With the stud extenders installed, place the spacer on the mount and replace it and move on to the next. I started the nuts put the retaining clips back on the bolts to help keep everything in place. When the side is complete, lower the body back down and let it rest on the spacers/mounts and repeat everything on the other side. Watch the front mounts as you are lowering the body, they need to line up properly for the studs to pass through their holes.

With everything in place, get all of the bolts started before torquing anything down. If you have an air ratchet it will greatly speed things up. Torque for the 16mm nuts is 40 ft-lbs and for the 18mm bolts it is 80 ft-lbs. Reinstall the grill by reversing the removal procedure.

Quote:
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

I had an issue with my rear bumper during the install. The bumper is an aftermarket Rancho w/rear tire carrier. Part of the bumper interfered with the rear two mount spacers. I simply cut the bumper to solve the problem.

Before the spacer was installed (I even had difficulty removing the mount):

I marked a line and used an 18 volt sawzall w/metal blade. I didn't have a grinder so I went with straight lines and cut by freehand.

Quote:
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Granite Guru

Nice write up.
I was considering doing the same or even the 1.25 BL

My only two concerns with the 1.25" BL was cutting the inners of the shift boot for my 6-spd and lifting my bumpers to lessen the gap created by the lift.

2008 Unlimited X - Steel Blue
- Slightly Modded
post #7 of 11 Old 03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice write up. I used it today while installing my RC 1.25" Body Lift.

The one thing I did different regarding the winch tho, is I didn't loosen it up.
That would have sucked!

What I did do, was remove the top row of plastic clips and poped out a few of the clips on either side of the winch on the bottom.

Then I pulled the side of the grille that I was working on away from the jeep, and inserted a 2x4 to keep it out of the way.

Again, thanks for the write up.

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Very nice write up, thanks this will help me a lot as I'm planning to the same. By any chance do you have before and after pictures to see the difference?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
fnc
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORANTE View Post
Very nice write up, thanks this will help me a lot as I'm planning to the same. By any chance do you have before and after pictures to see the difference?
I don't really have any good before pics. Here is a good after pic though:

Here is a bad before pic. It's the only shot I really have from this angle from before the install.

Quote:
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

BUMP! How about "after" pics?! I'm trying to make up my mind as to wether I like the look of a body lift or not.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Awesome! I am ready to do this to my JK with a 3.5" rubicon express lift on it!!! awesome write up!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode