Got my AEV Hood back from paint! (Pics) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thumbs up Got my AEV Hood back from paint! (Pics)

Form or function? Both?!!

I've been building Jeeps and other custom motor sports things for 25+ years and one universal truth is that heat is NOT your friend. Two simple things I have learned about keeping mechanical things alive. 1) Keep it clean 2) Keep it running cool.

Even with the little 3.8L motor the JK is starting to get a reputation for heat related issues. It would seem most are related to the auto trans at this point and that cooling issues may be related to the tow rating also. Once I add a trans cooler the additional cooling from the hood vents should make it that much more effective.

There are a ton of things I need and want to do to the JK. (like a rear tire carrier but waiting to see the finished Aberle Offroad unit to decide) So I figured I would take a moment to do a cool looking "supporting" mod first.

At some point I want to due a Hemi or at least a supercharger, both of which could greatly benefit from additional cooling capacity. I figure, get the hood on now and it will make some of those other additions easier later on. It will also give me the cooling to keep the 3.8L running strong until I decide.

One really nice thing about the AEV hood is that it is all steel, real steel, not that flimsy stuff the stock hood is made out of. MUCH thicker!! No more hood flapping in the wind. Even with my Daystar hood latches the hood sheet metal would buckle up and down with the stock hood. I can't imagine the AEV hood doing that.

Anyway, got it back from paint today. Still need to put new Rubicon decals on it. Want a "factory" type look, even though this hood has a much more aggressive stance to it than the plain stock on.

I will get more pics with the decals on later, here it is for now.

Here is the Jeep with the stock hood first for reference.

Now with the AEV Hood.

More detail.

Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Love it! that hood is sweet! with all the rain here in FL I would be concerned about the top vent though

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #3 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Love it! that hood is sweet! with all the rain here in FL I would be concerned about the top vent though
I have never been too concerned about any modern engine getting wet with all the new connectors types. The older stuff that could get water in the connectors could leave you stranded for sure.

However, I can certainly see the concern. You get way more rain than we get snow. 90% of our snowfall seems to come at night while my Jeep is in the garage too.

Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Knew sooner or later that this would happen.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

I wish that hood would work with the Avenger kit.

Cole, great looking functional mod.
post #6 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Real nice, mine is at the painter as we speak. I had the vents powder coated in mat black.

2014 Rubicon on the build!

Last edited by RODICON; 02-04-2010 at 07:04 AM.
post #7 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Very cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #8 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

very nice, looks good, im picking up mine tomorrow in dallas. looking at this makes me miss my jeep.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #9 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks great i love mine

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Rock God

ive been thinking about getting one as well

did you get it painted while on the jeep

or painted then installed, if seperately how is the color match???
post #11 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

example:

I have stainless steel hood hinges so, you could paint it separetely

However,

if you have factory hinges, i would think you would paint them with the hood so can seal the edges around the hinges to give it that factory look.

The paint code on you driver door should be fine to color match. (PPG)

post #12 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
example:

I have stainless steel hood hinges so, you could paint it separetely

However,

if you have factory hinges, i would think you would paint them with the hood so can seal the edges around the hinges to give it that factory look.

The paint code on you driver door should be fine to color match. (PPG)

mine was painted off the jeep and i must say Clackey did a hell of a job

the color is perfect

www.jeepasylum.com
post #13 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Rock God

That hood looks great! Very nice photos too! What camera and lens do you shoot with?

Last edited by axsys; 05-09-2011 at 12:31 AM.
post #14 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
mine was painted off the jeep and i must say Clackey did a hell of a job

the color is perfect
EXACTLY!

Just find a painter that can mix their own paint because - they look up the paint code, and mix it precisely.

post #15 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Looks great!
post #16 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I wish that hood would work with the Avenger kit.

Cole, great looking functional mod.

I agree. Clifton at Poison Spyder had one of the early Avenger kits (pre production) and had to give up his AEV hood to use it. Actually had to cut a hole in the factory hood and add a scoop to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
Real nice, mine is at the painter as we speak. I had the vents powder coated in mat black
That should look sweet on a yellow Jeep. I really wanted the vents to contrast on the black so chose to leave them silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post
did you get it painted while on the jeep

or painted then installed, if seperately how is the color match???
Paint shop did the hood off the Jeep. They took my VIN number and got the color code that way. It is a perfect match. The only thing you might see in these pics is that the rest of the Jeep is dirty and the hood went on clean this morning.

I took off my stock hood and drove over to the paint shop this morning and they installed the hood for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
That hood looks great! Very nice photos too! What camera and lens do you shoot with?
I shot that with a Nikon D90 with the kit lens on it today. (18-105). Just an easy all around lens for day to day.

post #17 of 46 Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Granite Guru

i know you were trying to keep the jeep light, how much more does this hood weigh than the stock?
post #18 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeye View Post
i know you were trying to keep the jeep light, how much more does this hood weigh than the stock?

I put a bunch of thought into that. The AEV hood is heavier, but adds function. I spent some time trying to figure out what was going to be more valuable in this situation the airflow (and style) or the light weight.

The AEV hood feels heavier lifting it up, but surprisingly did not feel all that much different putting it on vs. taking the old one off. I'll see if I can figure out the real weight difference.

The AEV hood is thicker steel, but eliminates steel in some spots the stock one has it.

I would really be interested to know. I think one of the important things is that since I saved weight on the bumper, and winch cable I can reasonably add some and still be lighter than other rigs. Always going to be a bit of compromise. Better than just saying "screw it" and adding heavy everything.

post #19 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Looks great Cole! I can't decide between Burnsville's and AEV's, I like the AEV's better but don't want water on my engine all the time(I'm particularly neat for a Jeep guy).

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #20 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I agree. Clifton at Poison Spyder had one of the early Avenger kits (pre production) and had to give up his AEV hood to use it. Actually had to cut a hole in the factory hood and add a scoop to make it work.
Since it is steel, I wonder how far off that buldge is and how hard would it be to extend it.
post #21 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I dont know the exact difference but I know it is "significant" because the Hoodlift hood struts cant handle AEV hoods.
post #22 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Looks great Cole! I can't decide between Burnsville's and AEV's, I like the AEV's better but don't want water on my engine all the time(I'm particularly neat for a Jeep guy).
I wash my engine every time I wash the Jeep. Have done this on all my Jeeps for years. Dirt attracts oil and grease which hold in heat and eat away at seals. Much easier to get a good running high mileage motor just by keeping it clean. So this really should be no different.

post #23 of 46 Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Copycat

Great shots of your hood, you're learning your way around that new Nikon. Nice build that you have going on there Cole. Looking forward to the pics of the Hemi build later on. Get some Rubi stickers made that are about an inch or two shorter, fits much better. The stock stickers go right up the the edge of the hood vent and trailing edge of the hood. Looks too tight.

I'm with you, I wash the motor and trany every few weeks.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #24 of 46 Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I wash my engine every time I wash the Jeep. Have done this on all my Jeeps for years. Dirt attracts oil and grease which hold in heat and eat away at seals. Much easier to get a good running high mileage motor just by keeping it clean. So this really should be no different.
Haha, I thought I was bad doing it once or twice a month, every was is nuts! Props to you bud! Thanks for that thought, I never really thought about it that way!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #25 of 46 Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I dont know the exact difference but I know it is "significant" because the Hoodlift hood struts cant handle AEV hoods.
I got an answer back from AEV today. Stock hood is 0.67mm thick. The AEV hood is 1mm thick. They estimate it is a 45lb difference in weight.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode