River Raider Roll Cage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
River Raider Roll Cage

River Raider DIY Weld in Roll cage.

Parts needed MIG welder (preferably and would potentially cut down total time by 1 to 3 hours), grinder, sander, time, and patience…
Total Time: 14 hours (however Mig welder was down so we used a TiG the whole time.
Things to be aware of- pieces may not be the size or fit you would prefer, relocation to un-optimal listening position of the front tweeters are needed, and supplied measurements may need to be adjusted to fit your preferred application.
Also choose a good time of the year to do this as in time and temperature it was 30 to 38 degrees the whole two days of install
Step 1: disconnect battery and remove sound bar, front tweeters, dash sides, plastic surrounds on windshield then fold down windshield, and fold down rear seats. (If you run with the roll bar padding and cover you will need to remove but I don’t so that was already done for me)
Step 2: Use provided templates to cut dash….I found that the templates are a little off and will need a dremal with cutting disc and/or utility knife to clean up and adjusted.
Step 3: Grind aluminum gusset as shown in RR instructions

Step 4: Fit dash bracket then weld bracket together. Then Install…

Step 5: Weld dash bar to windshield hoop, test fit to dash brackets (preferably with windshield folded up), Weld in place (make sure that the bars are far enough from the windshield to not vibrate on the windshield and cause cracking or breaking)

Step 6: This step will very per application as River Raider supplies brackets to tie windshield hoop to bolts on the folding windshield but the brackets I was supplied with did not come close to the fitment so we skipped this step in the River Raider instructions and are currently fabbing something that we feel would improve the setup for us, in either case you need to fold up the windshield and find the center of the center tab Jeep installed as the 2 center front braces will have to be measured from this point. River Raider states the bars should be 9 in. apart so we originally measured 4.5 in each way from the center, placed the bars then measure the distance from each other to verify (by personal choice I moved the bars slightly closer together to 7 and 3/8’s). Prep both sides of the front section for welding using the sander. My front center bars were about different lengths and each needed to be trimmed by at least 1in each. Be very carefully when tacking in place as one slide slipped off center by about 1/8th of an in and now causes problems with passenger side visor (honestly, doesn’t even matter as the visors are useless due to roll bar positioning so but a good pair of sunglasses) *Tip before welding center bars in place as the rear portion weld to the squared beam I recommend hitting end of tubing with a brass hammer on an anvil to provide max fitment.
Step 7: Skip to step 19 of the River Raider instructions and install the vertical rear support bars. (Easiest part of the whole install)

Step 10: Place and measure the rear bars and River Raider Logo, Mark and sand and weld into place, (I recommend just tacking the logo sign and then using some filler so not to break welds through rough vibrations and to allow better paint application, however I did not do this as I did not think the situation all the way through before welding)
Step 11: Place the rear half center bars and prep weld areas *notice that the bars should angle at about a 25 degrees outward angle toward the rear to match front bars with the very rear bars, also that the rear portion of the bars should almost line up with the two center holes in the very rear cross bar as you can see best on the River Raider instructions. Then weld in place
Step 12: Install grab handles
Step 13: You will find items will need to be either trimmed or discarded when putting everything back in place all wind shield surrounds most likely should be throw out as the pretty much become useless even after heavy trimming the end product is less then desirably, the dash side panels need a good bit of trimming to get around the new dash brackets, and lastly the sound bar needs trimming * how you do this is completely up to you. But these are the adjustments I have done…
*You will notice that I have completely removed the rear light and replaced with a single super high output LED and this will also be the solution for the front as I work out wiring and if I want to run 2 in the front.

Further note the front tweeter’s are not only positioned in a poor listening location but are super difficult to wire back up due to wire length but also due to no rear screw location the tweeters easily fall out of place…My new drill bit and some screws will fix this but still worth the mention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by d'sjk; 03-07-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Photo's

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae223/dlepski/

post #3 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Rock God

Sounds like it didn't go very well, sorry to hear that! Nice write up though! How are you going to paint it all? Pull it out or try to mask as much as possible and go from there?

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Sounds like it didn't go very well, sorry to hear that! Nice write up though! How are you going to paint it all? Pull it out or try to mask as much as possible and go from there?
I did not go quite as good as I thought it would have...but now that all the things are out I hope my feedback and experience helps others as the product is really great and honestly you will feel so much safer!

So I have and had to deal with a few inperfections what part doesn't have any...

post #5 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Oh as far as the bars go now that it is welded in I am going to mask the hell out of it and paint to match body color but originally I was going to line-x
post #6 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

that thing is sick looking im glad someone near me has it id like to see it when were out on a trail ride or meet and greet.

i didnt know this was a weld in i thought it was a bolt in it makes me appreciate a lot more as its much stronger. how hard do you think it would be to tie it into the floor like the poly cage?

looks sweet dude

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
that thing is sick looking im glad someone near me has it id like to see it when were out on a trail ride or meet and greet.

i didnt know this was a weld in i thought it was a bolt in it makes me appreciate a lot more as its much stronger. how hard do you think it would be to tie it into the floor like the poly cage?

looks sweet dude

The RR setup is already tied into the floor in the rear but to tie the floor in in the front would probably not be a problem in fact Kenny would prob. be willing to mock something up for you.

Kenny at River Raider is a super nice and supportative guy and he even took a call from me on sat when trying to figure out a few things on the cage.

I also have to state that the T-shirt he sent was super sweet! Thanks Kenny!

post #8 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great Derrick. When did you finish up? How did the top work out for you?
post #9 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Rock God

I am glad you are happy with the cage. Your welds look nice.
I wish I could have walked you through some of those steps a little more so that your fit and finish could have been maybe a little better. All the factory trim pieces can be retained for a clean finish. The pictures below are of our actual production kits installed.

RIVER RAIDER OFF-ROAD

post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Looks great Derrick. When did you finish up? How did the top work out for you?
Hard top is working out great! In fact it down poured all last night and not even one leak!

Thanks!
Just glad that after my mom ran over the front sections that nothing was damaged.

post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I wish I could have walked you through some of those steps a little more so that your fit and finish could have been maybe a little better. All the factory trim pieces can be retained for a clean finish.
When installing the factory pieces back in there seemed to be little or no room to get the pieces back into position and putting the pieces on before folding the windshield created some difficult closing the windsheild. So I decieded to chunk the plastic pieces I could always get some new ones.

As far as the dash side pieces go maybe the brackets that bolt in to the frame were a little off when we placed them in but on my fitment the side pieces had to be trimed which was A OK with me.

The rear sound bar I cut a lot as it was my own choice because I want to get rid of that horrible center light and go with LED...I tried putting an LED bulb in the fixture but it still stinks so in the future look for me to do a complete custom sound bar and new interior LED lighting setup.

post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

im glad to hear that it would be easy to tie it in im not looking for a cage right now but when after i get a bunch of other stuff it would be cool to get one.

glad the peices didnt mess up after being run over

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #13 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
Hard top is working out great! In fact it down poured all last night and not even one leak!

Thanks!
Just glad that after my mom ran over the front sections that nothing was damaged.
Good to hear. I still can't believe your mom ran the front panels over right after you put the cash in my hand. I felt horrible. Sure am glad and surprised that they held up.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just realized the my photobucket links had some error so the photos are not viewable any more so I will be posting new photos soon.

Though my write up may have a hint of buyer remorse in it this is only an attempt to remain unbias to the product and the company and to give everyone who is interested in buy the product a great resource of material to consider.

After having this cage now for a good bit of time honestly I couldn't be happier, all the people that ride in my jeep love it especially he grab handles in the front, I have notice a better stiffness to the ride, and best part about it I feel so much safer when I have my month old in the back for my trail rides(my exhaust noise puts him right to sleep).

Look for future post as the cage gets painted and I attempt to make some DIY additions to the setup to better work for my rig, expectations, and prefrences.

post #15 of 20 Old 02-24-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I wish I could have walked you through some of those steps a little more so that your fit and finish could have been maybe a little better. All the factory trim pieces can be retained for a clean finish. The pictures below are of our actual production kits installed.
Kenny, after running the cage in ruff form for a couple of weeks I have found I like not having the plastic around the wind shield better and my addition cuts to provide a fit for my jeep were partially due to this being a time crunched install and due to variences in jeeps, measurements, fitments, and prefrences. I look to be adding a couple of small modifications to exemplify your product and to better suit my Rig (hint: primarily with the frront speakers due to the relocation)

Seeing as though I have always rode with no jeep bar padding or covering the additions I look to be making will be for those of us that run our jeeps this way.

post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Saw a guy in the modified section looking for this so just bumping it.

post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Nice write up, amigo. Thinking of running this kit. Looks like it was fairly straight-forward, with a bit of make-it-up-as-you-go shenanigans

Anyone running this with a Trektop? Would love to know, as a cage is definitely in my top 5 mods right now- thanks! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #18 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Wheeler

I will have a trektop on mine in a week.

I will try to post up some pics. Did you have any requested info or pictures?
post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I want to know (of course) if it'll fit with the Trektop. Beyond that, can you see out the top of the windshield when sitting at a stoplight? I'm 6', and sit in granny position, and it's bad enough stock! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I want to know (of course) if it'll fit with the Trektop. Beyond that, can you see out the top of the windshield when sitting at a stoplight? I'm 6', and sit in granny position, and it's bad enough stock! Mark W.
Should have no problem fitting a trek top as far as the traffic light issue I am 6'2 and lean a ways back most of the time and I do not find that it obstructs or makes it harder to see the traffic lights than it did with out the cage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode