Install write-up ~ Poison Spyder Crusher flares - REAR - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Install write-up ~ Poison Spyder Crusher flares - REAR

To start, the installation of both the front and rear Poison Spyder Customs Crusher flares (http://www.poisonspyder.com/prod-jkr...sherflares.php) is something that can be tackled by even a novice Jeeper who has access to basic hand tools along with a little time and patience.

My suggestion is to first install the flares as they come, in bare steel, so that you can ensure a proper fit before you paint or powdercoated them. I chose to have mine powdercoated flame red to match my PSC Rocker Knockers with Sliders as well as my other suspension components. Powder coating isn't as expensive as you may think and is probably 1/3rd the cost of painting them professionally with automotive paint. You can of course use regular rattle can spray paint yourself, which will allow for easy touch ups after you've hit the trail. We don't really get any rust out here in Arizona so I'm not worried about exposed scrapes to the flares and think the powder coat will endure for as long as I need it to.

This installation for me is going to be a replacement to a set of Xenon narrow flat panel flares (1.5" narrower than stock). The Xenon's have worked great for me and I get a lot of compliments about them but I think the PSC steel flares are a part that take the Jeep to the next level. It is also nice to know that Poison Spyder spends a lot of time ensuring that their products meet high quality construction standards and ease of installation while at the same time as a company, providing excellent customer service support.

Currently PSC only sells the Crusher flares in stock width which in my opinion combined with being a flat panel flare, actually 'appears' narrower than they really are, while still providing OEM tire coverage. The pics below show a comparison of the front Xenon flare (passenger side) vs. the PSC Crusher flare (driver's side) as well as a side comparison of the two. The pic below that is a height comparison of the Xenon vs. Crusher flare. You'll notice that the outermost edge of the Crusher flare is higher than the Xenon narrow flare though the taper of the Crusher flare is more compact.

Poison Spyder is also working on an inner support brace kit for the rear Crusher flares that will most likely be available for order by the time you read this. This write-up will not initially include the install of the brace kit but check back for an update when I do. Poison Spyder has commented that even as-is without the brace kit, the rear Crusher flare has more than enough strength to hold up during abuse without crushing in the rear sheetmetal. Of course there is always a scenario where something goes horribly wrong and no flare could prevent body damage.

So let's start the rear Crusher flare installation!

As I mentioned before, I am replacing a set of Xenon narrow flat panel flares. The PSC Crusher flares install very similar to the Xenon flares and both use a majority of the same mounting holes in the OEM sheet metal. The Xenon flares use 1/4" mounting hardware along with nutserts. So if you are like me, you will first need to remove the Xenon nutserts to make way for the PSC nutserts which utilize 3/8" hardware. Here's a comparison pic of one of the Xenon nutserts (left) vs. a PSC nutserts (right).

You'll want to hold the PSC Crusher flare up against the body (with the help of a 2nd person) and locate and then mark each of the mounting holes found along the inner top of the flare. There should be at least 7 holes that line up with existing holes in the body. If there isn't already a hole in the sheet metal where you need it, you'll have to drill one during that step as outlined below.

To get the Xenon nutserts out, I first started with a small diameter drill bit just larger than the screw hole in the nutsert. The idea is to eat enough of the inner material away in order to get a larger diameter drill bit to pop the nutsert out.

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Once you have removed all of the nutserts (7 of them), you need to drill the sheet metal out to about 3/8" in order to accept the new PSC nutserts. Here is also where you'll need to create new 3/8" holes if they don't already exist where you need them.

I found that it was useful to thread the nutsert onto the nutsert install tool (included with the flare hardware pack) and then use a small mallet to push the nutsert into the hole. Once the nutsert is in the hole, you'll use a 5/8" wrench on the lower part of the nutsert install tool and a 13mm wrench on the end of the nutsert tool's bolt.

The idea is to hold the 5/8" wrench still as you screw the nutsert tool's bolt into the nutsert using the 13mm wrench. Now they make specialty tools for this procedure and unfortunately, I do not have one (so sad). So use patience and a lot of force to screw each one as tight as possible until the 13mm wrench cannot turn anymore - and then try to turn it some more. You'll then switch direction on the 13mm wrench and back out the nutsert tool's bolt from the nutsert. This should leave the nutsert seated into the sheet metal. If you notice the nutsert is still able to turn at all, you need to go back and tighten it until it won't. If you don't, when you go to install the flare's mounting bolt, the nutsert will just spin and things will never tighten. You'll do this for each of the 7 nutserts.

Once the nutserts are all installed, it's really as simple as holding the flare against the body (again with the help of a 2nd person) and then insert each bolt and tighten! Done!

The PSC Crusher flares are also designed to allow you to cut a bit of sheet metal off the back of the fender opening in order to allow fitment of larger tires. I'm currently running 40x15.50 tires on 20x10 wheels with 4.5" backspacing plus 1.25" wheel spacers. So when I stuff the rear tire into the fender well, I always hit the sheet metal in the back.

I will add to this thread once I cut the rear sheet metal to show you the benefit it creates with large tires as well as to show some in action off road pics of this kick azz set up!

~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Great write up Dave. The Crusher Flares look awesome on your Jeep.

Larry McRae

951-849-5911
Connect with us on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock God

I hate them... just kidding I really wish I could have gotten those they look awsome!!! And look easy to put on too!!!

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #5 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Rock God

looks awesome

congrats, i love the look and will most likely be getting a set myself sooner then later, just need to see couple of sets of the rear on different wheel combos to see how far the tires will stick out, the 5-0 in this area hate us jeepers with big tires
post #6 of 13 Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Rock God

nice job on the write up ! .. now i need some flares to go with my rocker knockers and armor ... looks awesome
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice write-up JPTwinz!

Looking forward to seeing those trail shots!
post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Nice write-up JPTwinz!

Looking forward to seeing those trail shots!
She'll be back on the trail soon. I'm having some mechanical problems right now that I'm trying to get cleared up so soon enough.

Until then, here's a few daylight pics of the flares installed!!!

~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
post #9 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Wow man...I do believe you have almost perfected that bad boy!

I would still like to see that Jeep with some chrome wheels under it. I don't know what makes me thing that it would look good, but something about all that red with a splash of shine would really top the charts.

Nice sir, very nice.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks great man!

Very, very nice indeed!
post #11 of 13 Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

What did you do with your Xenon flares?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcologne25 View Post
What did you do with your Xenon flares?
They were sold a while ago even before the front flares ever came in.

~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
post #13 of 13 Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

Great Write-up. I have the Xenon flares and was wondering what the conversion would be like to the PS flares..... now I know.... THANKS

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode