Mopar Heated Seat Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mopar Heated Seat Install

I decided to install the Mopar front heated seat kit myself in April just because I could. This entire project was completed in a buddies garage over an afternoon with a case of beer and basic hand tools.

To start, you will have to purchase the kit from your trusty local Mopar part retailer. Part # 82211621. You will also require a complete socket set (metric sizes), cutting pliers, narrow-nose pliers, 1/2" torque wrench, utility knife (or dremel tool) and a few more misc tools for dash dis-assembly.

It is best if you have a clean and clutter free table to place the removed seats on while installing the heating pads; I was able to cover the dirty shop table with some cardboard to provide this. A better idea is to even bring the seats into the house for the work. (assuming you have permission)...ha

STEP 1. Remove the front seat from the vehicle by first removing the 4 bolts from the floor and disconnecting electrical lead on the underside of the seat. (**These bolts were quite hard to remove and required a leverage bar to break loose**)

STEP 2. Inclip the channel-type retainers from the front and sides of the seat to allow the cloth covering to be peeled back, no specific tools required here.

STEP 3. Cut the hog clips from around the front and 3 from each side to allow enough room to pull back the base of the seat. Cutting pliers are usefull here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

STEP 4. Place the heating pad (do not remove the backing yet) on the approximate position of function being sure to keep it square with equal spacing from the sides and front channel. (I chose to punch a hole with a screwdriver through the back of the foam to run the wires through and make a clean-looking install. The directions have no detail at all.) Once the wires are through the back, peel off the backing and stick down the heating pad to the foam.

STEP 5. For the time being, the seat bottom fabric can be left unattached while the seat back is installed. Remove the channel clips from the bottom of the back and peel up the fabric to access the foam.

STEP 6. Same as the base, position the pad, run the wires then remove the backing and securely stick on the pad.

STEP 7. Use the supplied zip-ties to secure the wires to the frameing of the seat. Roll the seat-back fabric back down. Feel free to secure the wiring in a similar way to the photos.

STEP 8. Now you are finished the install. Replace all the fabric on the seat, clip the channel retainers and use the supplied hog-ties to the seat in the same locations that were removed. I found that simple pliers were able to crimp the ties if I partially bent them prior to installing them around the 2 "rods".
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

STEP 9. It is best to route all the connections and switch prior to reinstalling the seat. I could not figure out how to properly remove the entire console, so I ran the wired along the underside, out of site and pulled up the connection just below the power output sockets. I installed the switch on the panel in the lower dash as suggested by the instructions. Simply measure out the center, place on the template and cut out a small notch to run the wire-strip through. Be sure the panel is cleaned and warmed up to ensure a quality bond. You will have to remove the center panel of the dash to install all the wireing properly. When I find instructions on how to remove the console without breaking something I plan to route the wire properly.

Now simply do the same to the other seat and you will be soothing your lower back in no time.

Good luck all.

PM if you have any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Ah.... I was thinking what the fuck when you said "April."
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

How much was the part from mopar...thx.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

Great writeup Matt. You don't have sideairbags in the seats, do you? I've had the seat heater kit for a while now, but am nervous about taking the seats out because of the airbags in them.

Anyone had any experience with the side airbags? I'm not sure what precautions I would need to take. Having an airbag go off would make for really expensive seat heaters!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepThing View Post
Great writeup Matt. You don't have sideairbags in the seats, do you? I've had the seat heater kit for a while now, but am nervous about taking the seats out because of the airbags in them.

Anyone had any experience with the side airbags? I'm not sure what precautions I would need to take. Having an airbag go off would make for really expensive seat heaters!
the only thing you need to do is disconnect the battery for 2minutes before you unplug the seats. I had mine out when I got my linex done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt08JK View Post
. When I find instructions on how to remove the console without breaking something I plan to route the wire properly.
if you need to know how to get the center console out here is link, it comes one VERY easy in about 5min.
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info tkob! I guess I don't have any more excuses, time to git 'er done!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the info, I won't a set of them.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Granite Guru

Got my seat heaters installed yesterday! Thanks for the writup Matt, it really helped. No airbag issues either ... thanks tkob.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the write up as well. Got mine installed tonight and now it is like sitting in a hot tub in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode