TBP's tail gate antenna bracket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
TBP's tail gate antenna bracket

Gen 2 is on the next page if you want a diff style

well i finally got a cb for the jeep and that means i needed a mount for the antenna i didn't feel like buying one so me and my dad made one.it bolts directly on to the stock tire carrier but if you don't use that because you have a swing out then you could probably bolt it onto the tailgate it self i don't know cause that's not how im using it.

1 go to your local hardware store and get a flattened metal i believe it was aluminum. we got a 2 ft piece in case for mess ups.

2 when you go into the store bring in one of the tire carrier bolts you plan putting it on and there should be a chart to measure the thread count and size.

3 get the type bolts that it says. you want it to be about a half inch longer than the stock one to accommodate the bracket as the carrier has a little lip.

4 put a 90 degree bend near the top of the metal bar by placing it in a vice.

5 place next to the two bolts on either side of the carrier and mark the center of the bolt.

6 place the metal back in the vice and cut off the unneeded metal using a hack saw.

7 our bolts were 5/16 so we started with a smaller titanium drill bit so the big bit wouldn't walk. you can use a punch but we didn't have one on hand.

8 we used a 3/8 drill bit so the bracket would bind with the threads and its on a little angle so it works out nicely.

9 measure out the width of your cb mount ours was a 1/2 inch we put it as close to the bend without it not being fully flush. and it barely touches the 285 75 r16 on the sidewall.

10 we rounded out the edges on the bracket so it wouldnt be sharp so we put a belt sander upside down in our vice.

11 bolt it back on to either side of the tire carriers two bolts and then hookup the antenna.

12 admire

pics time
looking in from in between spokes

looking down on it

ill get some better pics of it in the daylight tommorow and ill take the spare off too.

we put on a spring with the firestick and the bracket flexes some so it would take a really sturdy branch or something to break or bend it.

it sits inside of the 16 inch stock steel wheel with about and inch until it would actually contact the wheel.

it sits in the perfect position on the right side to where you can run your cox in between the holes on the carrier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 03-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-09-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

hope you guys like it

post #3 of 42 Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

Nice and easy, well done! Always more satisfaction when doing it yourself, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thx and yes it definetly does

post #5 of 42 Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

better pics
that is a 3ft antenna for comparison in how much it will stick above the roof line.

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 03-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good Corey. Great job.

08 Silver Unlimited
3.5" RE Superflex
35" Pro Comp X Muds
5.13 Superiors
Rampage front
Rancho rear
Tabor 9K
Spidertrax and stockers
Line-x
post #7 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

You and your dad did some nice work there- looks very good!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #8 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thx guys

post #9 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Nice work! I was looking in there the other day thinking ... I'm gonna have to drill a little hole in the tire mount to the the antenna to mount..

not anymore!
I'm going to be doing this to mine!

TBP...

wait.. your only 18..

~ Clam
post #10 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work. Good idea for a simple clean install!

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 42 Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
Nice work! I was looking in there the other day thinking ... I'm gonna have to drill a little hole in the tire mount to the the antenna to mount..

not anymore!
I'm going to be doing this to mine!

TBP...

wait.. your only 18..
scratch that....16
root

very nice looks good

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #12 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Great job.. Root

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-12-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

im rly glad you guys like it and i got it in so you didnt have to drill a hole in your carrier

just make sure the bolt is really tight because it is still holding a tire on there

post #14 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

I did close to same and I needed to grind a bit off one of the tire carrier braces for a flush fit.

Not many young uns learn(or want to learn) how to build stuff on their rig. WTG

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #15 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Rock God

Wish I would have seen this thread yesterday. I ordered the TF mount for mine. Nice job on yours.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #16 of 42 Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
I did close to same and I needed to grind a bit off one of the tire carrier braces for a flush fit.

Not many young uns learn(or want to learn) how to build stuff on their rig. WTG
i like building stuff i was a big knex man

post #17 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i like building stuff i was a big knex man
I you sure it is a WAS....?????

I thought you still had the knex set!!

Good job!

I got a surprise for you DIY crowd coming soon too!

post #18 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
I you sure it is a WAS....?????

I thought you still had the knex set!!

Good job!

I got a surprise for you DIY crowd coming soon too!
ahh i need to change it to i dont i as i have a ton of knex

cant wait on the surprise

post #19 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Sweet. Nice Job. I am headed to Lowes this weekend. Thanks for savin me money.

Póg mo thóin!
post #20 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

post #21 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Granite Guru

If you want to give that aluminum a nice finish, mix up some Drano crystals in a bucket of water and soak the bracket in it for a little while. It will get a nice matte finish. Watch how long you do it for though. You could almost dissolve it if you mix a lot of the drano in with the water.

Be careful, because it's a caustic solution.
post #22 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJiK hat View Post
If you want to give that aluminum a nice finish, mix up some Drano crystals in a bucket of water and soak the bracket in it for a little while. It will get a nice matte finish. Watch how long you do it for though. You could almost dissolve it if you mix a lot of the drano in with the water.

Be careful, because it's a caustic solution.
i like the color of it im not a big fan of really shiny

post #23 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Great job on the write-up Corey!! And kudos to you and your dad for the DIY it came out great!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #24 of 42 Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

Looks good!
post #25 of 42 Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i like the color of it im not a big fan of really shiny
No, the lye and water bath gives it a nice satin finish! No shiny

This guy uses that method to strip anodizing off of aluminum parts. Just don't leave it in too long, you would only want a light bath: [scroll down his page about halfway]
http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

I think you'll like it. Try it out on a piece of aluminum for kicks. I did it on some small aluminum parts I machined and it was a cheap way to clean them up.

Nice job BTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode