Bikini top in January and a few other mods - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bikini top in January and a few other mods

It was so toasty out today , I decided to try out the new bestop bikini top that I got from santa.
Not much of a write up here, just some pictures and a little mod I did to the top because it was flapping like crazy.

I'm not going to go into the steps of hooking up the top because it's really simple.
The front half of the top is secured really well but for some reason they weren't too worried about securing the rear. I went for a quick drive up to about 60mph and the rear looked like it was about to rip off.
Heres my solution:
1 1/2"x 1/8" steel flat stock bent around the roll bar at each end. (nice and tight)

I used 2 Framing square stair clamps to secure the top to the steel bow.

close up of clamp, these are a few bucks at any hardware store

nice

New half-ass bumper out of big L-metal complete with mandatory Thrasher sticker

Kragen cheapie turbo muffler, nice and short

Finally, relocated evap

2-door, locked, 5.13's, 37's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
jct
Wheeler

Ya know seeing this write-up in the middle of Jan. when I been shoveling white stuff everyday for a month just doesn't seem rightJ
post #3 of 4 Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Rock God

i think im going to get one for my 4door... looks like a cool thing to have when its NOT snowing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
The Flower Guy

Bikini top anti flap bar

I had the same flapping problem with my bikini top I solved it in a slightly different way. I started with a 3/4 X 1 1/2" aluminum channel and cut the wings and rolled the ends to fit over the padded roll bars. Then I roughed the flat top and fibreglassed a strip of 1 1/2" velcro along the channel. Then I drilled holes for clevis pins at each end and made a tightening device in the middle. (the same bolt used for keeping counter top corners together) A 3/4 " strap holds it to the bar real snug. The matching velcro is stitched along the under edge of the top. (thanks to a local tent & awning shop). Presto no more flap. It's winter here but the photos show the fastenings and the center tensioner inside my hardtop. Oh..I'm lucky, my jk is black so it was easy to paint it to match. What do you think?
Attached Images

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode