Savvy front bumper install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Savvy front bumper install

I stumbled onto this site while looking for info on the Savvy bumpers. It was so helpful I registered so I could add my 2 cents.

I couldn't figure out a good way to make the Rubicon swaybar work with this bumper. I'm not sure how to do a swaybar "flip" but it didn't take long to realize it still wouldn't fit with it positioned with its smallest side pointing just right. I thought about making some 1" spacers to lower the whole swaybar. This would still require some clearancing of the winch plate AND the cast aluminum swaybar housing would be hanging REALLY low..like 7" without the crossmember in the pic being there since it has to be removed to install. I might never hit it on anything but since the whole idea of this bumper is for clearance I decided to put a stock swaybar on it until I spring for an Antirock.

I also used a Superwinch Talon 12.5 with the Warn Zeon bumper skin. The winch bolted right to the plate...but it was over an inch too far passenger to center it between the framerails and for the skin to fit. No biggie, I drilled new holes (drilled two holes close together and die grinded the centers out so they would be slotted like the originals). The holes in the aluminum cover were placed to clear the winch bolts in the original "Warn" location so I made new ones with a 1" hole saw. I should have used a 3/4" but a 1" is what I had.

The bumper skin needs a minimal amount of trimming but it is actually on right now without trimming it.I really like the bumper and the design. Once I move my solonoid box none of the winch will even come close to protruding over the grille opening and now there us so much clearance up front with the crossmember removed I don't own a jack tall enough to get nearly as tall as the bumper with 35"s and a 3 1/2" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Granite Guru

Nice, Savvy makes nice stuff. Check out there 1/2 doors.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Savvy bumper sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I noticed the same issue with the Rubicon sway bar and ordered the front Antirock. I have a 2013 so the vacuum pump will also have to be relocated.

2013 JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doormandan View Post
Nice, Savvy makes nice stuff. Check out there 1/2 doors.
I had 2 TJs before I got the JK and they make some nice, well thought out stuff. I have heard nothing but good about their 1/2 doors. I am in the sun 10 hours a day so it is pretty far down my list of mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve578 View Post
I have the Savvy bumper sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I noticed the same issue with the Rubicon sway bar and ordered the front Antirock. I have a 2013 so the vacuum pump will also have to be relocated.
it was in the way on my 2012 also. I trimmed the factory bracket but didn't use it. For now I ran some bolts through the winchplate(one of the holes was already there. Not sure what it is for) and used 3 nuts on each. One against the plate to keep the bolt tight, one under the pump bushing and one above to keep it tight and off of the winch plate. It wasn't until after we mounted it that I realized it was upside down. Honestly I'm not sure what it's for but I haven't had any issues so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode