Sway Bar wiring harness protection: The Barlow Boot - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Sway Bar wiring harness protection: The Barlow Boot

The JK's power sway bar unit evokes some very strong emotions--either the owners (like me) who make a big show of NOT getting out of their vehicle and getting dirty to disconnect, OR by the NON-Rubicon/JK owners who giggle with glee when we talk about flashing dash lights, obscure electrical problems, or engine fires relating to the power sway bar.

How our Jeeps are used is often considered more extreme than the average user, because our Jeep are rentals, and they spend all day every day off-pavement. When we bought our '09's Jeeps (after two years of an "interesting" learning curve with our 07-08 JK's) the modifications we do includes:

1. Rock protection for sway bar in the form of either a reinforced "stupid" bar (which then becomes known as the "smart" bar), OR an aftermarket bumper including sway bar motor protection.

2. Waterproof boot to keep dust, mud, water, etc. out of the irritatingly sensitive sway bar wiring harness.

Description of "The Boot": When our 09's came in, I knew it was time to take a proactive step in keeping the connections clean, so I started looking around for type of material we could use to wrap the unit. After trying a couple of things that didn't work so well (we had tried lots of different things including dielectric grease, plumbing tape, 3M seal, ziplock bags, etc.), Joey suggested motorcycle inner tubes. So I acquired some used ones from D&K Service in Cottonwood, for the mere cost of brownies.

We cut the motorcycle inner tubes in about 10-inch sections, then fold over one end and use Gorilla Glue to seal it up. Apply a little heavy-duty duct tape over the fold just for extra seal. Then we cut a 1-inch slit in the open end to allow for the rubber to better wrap around the wire coming out of the unit. Then use the heavy-duty duct tape to wrap and seal the whole end of the boot to the housing of the sway bar motor.

After a particularly wet and muddy week, we pulled a few off to inspect and they looked as clean and dry as the day they arrived. On our 07-08's, we usually had some sway bar malfunction within 5000 miles, and especially during mud season. After 6000 to 8000 dirty miles on our new Jeeps, we have had NO sway bar malfunction (not that was due to a wiring harness problem).

Picture of "The Barlow Boot":

Hope this helps someone else, too!

Happy trails,

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

thanks and great idea. i am sure with rentals you see alot of crap. i think i will do this over the weekend. what is the armor you use to protect it? i have a lod skid but it does not com that far back (cover to the frame bar just short of the swaybar box. thanks again.

2010 Rubicon unlimited / rock krawler long arm
ome +40 long travel lift / 17 spyderlocks / 38 bfg km2's/ 5.38 gears/ sleeves
poison spyder customs crusher flares/ body armor/ diff covers/rocker knockers
lod stubby ftont and rear/ evap skid/ coast driveshaft 1310/ rcv & superior axle shafts
warn powerplant / aev drag link flip/ currie tie rod/ reid knuckles, prosteer ball joints
c2 gussets and lca skids/ rock stars/ speed bumps/ rk tranny pan/ redneck ram hydro assist
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Granite Guru

i have been thinking about something like this. an inner tube is a great idea, probably can take a little abuse unlike a regular plastic bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

It's the cross member directly in front of the sway bar, with about 1/2" between the bar and the wiring harness that is the biggest problem. It sounds like you already have that stupid bar protected--LOD is a good bumper.

Nena Barlow

post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

I'd think that would be excellent protection from salt corrosion as well as mud.Cover the slit and wrap around the wire with 3M electrical tape and then paint with their rubber sealing goo and that puppy would be completely waterproof.

But Nena, they are really condoms. You should have them on the web site. "Get your very own set of Nena's home made condoms here!" Yes?

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
But Nena, they are really condoms. You should have them on the web site. "Get your very own set of Nena's home made condoms here!" Yes?
Yes, didn't you notice they are ribbed?

Nena Barlow

post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Just curious as to why you guys don't do the sway bar flip and seal it off. I'd imagine it to not give any fuss. Keep it out of harms way as well...but would be harder to disconnect/reconnect it if need be..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The flip doesn't keep the dust and mud out, but it does reduce the direct impact from rocks. I said "reduce", not eliminate, hence our need for reinforcing the stupid bar in front of the sway bar.

Nena Barlow

post #9 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Nena, thanks for this thread!
....Being new to the JEEP world, mods like this are cheap/ easy....not to mention one less thing to deal with while out on the trail!!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Now I just need to find a way to not hit it on rocks

I understand the Jeep thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode