Better Angle for Rear Seat Unlimited - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Better Angle for Rear Seat Unlimited

Got this idea from another site but it works well. I simply made spacers (7 total) from 1" X 1/4" bar stock 3' long ($8.00) from Lowes. You install the spacers under the seat brackets so the bottoms lift up in the front and the backs tilt back just a little. It really doesn't look like much, but the difference is very noticeable. If you have spent any time in the back you would know the seats sit too straight up to be comfortable on longer trips.

18mm socket and breaker bar
These suckers are in there tight. Did I say : These bolts are in there tight. You will need a breaker bar and some serious muscle to get these out.

Unbolt the 4 feet and move the bottoms up with bungee cords to keep them out of the way. I took my rear doors off to get in and out better also.

The next part was hard to understand without looking at the seats and the brackets underneath. You need to take out the 3 bolts on the bottom section of the L brackets that hold the upright portion of the seat. The bottoms of the L brackets will move the seats back just a little but it really makes a difference. I loosened the 3 bolts on the top of the L bracket to make sliding the stock under them easier. Cut the stock 2 1/2" long, drilled holes for the bolts, painted them, and installed them. The bolts are more than long enough to do this without worry but if your concerned don't do it.

Next cut 4 pieces 2 1/2" long, drilled holes for the bolts, painted them to prevent rust, and installed them under the four feet in the front. (Pictured)This lifts the bottoms so they support your legs better. You don't have to do this part but it does help and you have to take out the bolts to get to the bolts for the back anyway. I left this one a little long so you could see it under the foot. -Maybe is was just longer than the rest - you decide.

All done and it does feel better for the rear passengers. Of course this doesn't do me any good. Was this worth all the work? ....

Yes, if you ask someone that sits in the back most of the time!

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-23-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question

Couldn't you just use washers
post #3 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

[QUOTE=4x4x4;298327]Got this idea from another site but it works well. I simply made spacers (7 total) from 1" X 1/4" bar stock 3' long ($8.00) from Lowes. You install the spacers under the seat brackets so the bottoms lift up in the front and the backs tilt back just a little. It really doesn't look like much, but the difference is very noticeable. If you have spent any time in the back you would know the seats sit too straight up to be comfortable on longer trips.

Bet you didn't think this thread would end up being about Redheads.

Thanks a lot for the post though pretty sure I will be doing this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Couldn't you just use washers
Yes, you could just use washers. It would be easier to use them instead of the steel bar. I like the idea of keeping the shims with more surface area when raising the attachment plates.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 12-23-2009 at 05:48 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Rock God

GREAT IDEA and GOOD JOB 4X4X4. For long trips this should make for a more comforable ride for the rear passangers. Awsome. I am going to do this so the ride down to JEEP BEACH doesn't bring the suck. THANKS

Póg mo thóin!
post #6 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good Idea! Thanks

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work. I remember reading about this mod way back. I'll have to add this to my cheap to-do list.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Good Info!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #9 of 28 Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the Idea!

post #10 of 28 Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Looks like a great idea and I already have 1/4" stock laying around

Question: is it a noticble when you fold the seats down? I'd like to keep them as flat as possible for when I haul stuff....i wouldn't think it would make much if any difference but just wanted to ask someone that already has done it and can offer their opinions. Thanks

|
|
post #11 of 28 Old 01-01-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJeep View Post
Looks like a great idea and I already have 1/4" stock laying around

Question: is it a noticble when you fold the seats down? I'd like to keep them as flat as possible for when I haul stuff....i wouldn't think it would make much if any difference but just wanted to ask someone that already has done it and can offer their opinions. Thanks
It makes no difference with the seats down.
post #12 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the post!

I ended up using a 1/2" stack of fender washers to get even more recline.

The stock bolts have plenty of engagement and the seats still fold flat.

post #13 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

Great idea! I will try a small adjustment with washers.

On topic: has anyone come up with a fix for the sagging middle seat? There is nothing but foam holding it up, and I was just thinking about sliding a piece of 1x8 under it, but thought it might be fun to see if anyone has come up with some less..."redneck" than my current thought.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #14 of 28 Old 04-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post

On topic: has anyone come up with a fix for the sagging middle seat? There is nothing but foam holding it up, and I was just thinking about sliding a piece of 1x8 under it, but thought it might be fun to see if anyone has come up with some less..."redneck" than my current thought.
One of the small ammo cans fits under there perfectly. Just slide it in and problem solved. Mine would slide out wheeling once in a while so I just put a bungee across it. Plus it gives you more storage.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Rock God

I accomplished this with a dozen or so 1/2" grade 8 washers. Works like a charm and the half inch of rearward articulation makes a huge difference when sitting in the back. Also makes it feel slightly less cramped when loaded up with the 3 kids.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Rock God

I rode in our back seat for the 1st time recently, man it sucks back there, I feel bad for ever making adults ride back there. I think I will do the seat tilt mod soon...

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #17 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

Did this last night using 2 x 1/2" flat washers and its the best $2.99 mod ever.

The bolts were a real PITA to remove, however. Though ill-advised, I ended up having to put my hi-lift jack handle over my breaker bar to get enough torque to break the bracket bolts loose. After they finally started to turn, I used my tire star to spin them out because my regular socket extension just wasn't up to the task.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

I could not beleave how tight the seat bolts were that is some good loctite! I just installed A lock box under my front seat and while I had the bolts out I put a few washers under my front seats and they are much better I have never been in the back seat yet? guess I have to pick up some more washers and do them also!

TIP use some WD40 on the bolts after you break them loss so there is no galling of the threads and then clean and loctite them when you reinstall!

Last edited by ibjammin; 02-25-2011 at 08:03 PM.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Nice work.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsker View Post
One of the small ammo cans fits under there perfectly. Just slide it in and problem solved. Mine would slide out wheeling once in a while so I just put a bungee across it. Plus it gives you more storage.
A product that fits the bill:

http://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangle...ort-p/5000.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #21 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Did this in my 10 JKU and the kids loved it. It really helps with a car seat, that extra recline makes it so my son's head does not slump forward.

THE VERY BEST IN OFFROAD PARTS!!!
Jason

08 JKU Sahara that is a constant work in progress
post #22 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Rock God

Or go just a little higher (extra 1 1/2 inch over the metal bar idea) and a little more involved...

Yeah, its definitely more of an angle, but the kiddo's love it! And the adults say its pretty comfortable too. Especially when the ladies are in the back and the bass is up!

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #23 of 28 Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM

These guys look like they have something worthwhile to this problem.
eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251548465751...84.m1555.l2649
post #24 of 28 Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to DaCrazyRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1775JEEP View Post
These guys look like they have something worthwhile to this problem.
eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251548465751...84.m1555.l2649
$3.00 vs $70. Hmmmmmm. let me think on that one.

Tracy E /

“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
post #25 of 28 Old 06-06-2014, 12:44 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

hmmm... new seller on ebay with no history... new member on forum with no history....

when i installed the corbeau seats in my JK (front) i did the exact same thing. with fender washers. $5 > $70

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode