Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers

Every morning I torture myself by taking my kids to school in Miami traffic. 99% of the drivers in Miami are not from the U.S. and learned how to drive in another country where they did not have traffic lanes and it was not uncommon to have to avoid a cow, goat or chicken on the freeway. One out of every four drivers in Miami-Dade County does not have a valid drivers license!

What does this have to do with Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers? You will soon see.

When Poison Spyder Customs engineered and tested their rocker panel protection they built them to withstand the roughest conditions a driver could subject them to out on the trail. I don’t think they thought about the usefulness they would serve in the concrete jungle.

When I exit the Florida turnpike each morning I have to make a right turn and then immediately cross two lanes of traffic to get into the left turn lane. Every morning the intersection is a parking lot and the mission impossible theme song pops into my head! Train horns are fun for spilling Cuban coffee but they don’t move cars!

The Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers on the other hand seem to get the attention of all of the lowered imports who try to move up and block me from entering. Maybe it is the cool Poison Spyder logo that is at eye level as I drive in front of them and they peer over their carbon fiber hoods.

Whatever it is, these Rocker Knockers get noticed and I have nicknamed them the “Miami Merge Masters”. It is nice having total confidence that any drivers that gets skinny pedal happy will simply be deflected off of the Rocker Knocker and maybe get a KM2 tire imprint over their hood!

Now for the write-up and what these Rocker Knockers were really intended for…

Delivery and Installation:

First, these things are SOLID and they will not be very popular with your UPS man. There is no guessing what they are when they arrive since they ship raw and the shipping label is right on each panel with the hardware coming in a separate package.

All of the hardware comes very neatly packaged and separated for ease of locating what you need during the install.

I am not going to type up full installation instructions because Poison Spyder has very thorough instructions on their website:

http://www.poisonspyder.com/assets/i...r_Knockers.pdf

and they also include instructions with the hardware.

First thing I did was remove the optional slider plate, sanded everything down and sprayed primer.

Before…

After….

Before being painted, I drilled the necessary holes and did a test fit. The directions are very specific about where and how to drill the holes and, after the mirror mod, these are the easiest holes you will ever have to drill into your Jeep. The only recommendation I can make is that most of you will not have a 9/16” drill bit in your toolbox and I found it easier to drill the final holes underneath with a stepped drill bit. The test fit…

Here are the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers next to the stock Rubicon rails (mine have extra tubing added). In this picture you can see how much more coverage there is under the body and how many extra mount points there are underneath compared to the three on the stock rails.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

In these two pictures you can see why it is necessary to drill the holes in the pinch seam. The bolts on the Poison Spyder rails are twice as thick as the stock ones…

Poison Spyder..

Stock..

Two optional steps, but something I would recommend, is touching up the holes you drilled..

and cutting the pinch seam for extra clearance. My pinch seam is already cut from a previous mod and the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers lined up perfectly…

After paint and installed. Here is a picture of all of the mount points underneath…

Time to get them dirty! Rocker Knockers got their first taste of dirt on the trails of Ocala, Florida. In this picture you can see how this muddy climb slides you right into the tree. This tree has done it’s fair share of damage to truck bed side panels, a door on a Land Rover Discovery and countless Jeeps. The Rocker Knockers protected the side of my Jeep as I just slide my way past…

The Rocker Knockers got a lot of use this weekend and I am very happy with them. One thing that I am going to change is that I painted the rails black and if you intend on beating on them as much as I do they need to be powdercoated or sprayed with texture. If not, you will be spending a lot of time touching them up after your trips. For the moment, I am going to touch-up the scratches but will get them textured soon. Poison Spyder did a very good job of designing them so you can remove the slider insert (white in my pictures) without having to remove the rail. Makes it easy to repaint them if you decide to color match them like I did.

Here are more pictures and send me a PM if you have any questions.

Moose512

Last edited by Moose512; 12-21-2009 at 05:51 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Very cool, I am trying to decide between these and the poly rockers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Those look great Moose. I like the body matching inserts.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

The black and white looks great on the jeep. The write up was near perfect. You forgot to mention that nobody will ever slam their door into your jeep again when they park too close. Thats one of my favorite parts about these sliders.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post

Here are the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers next to the stock Rubicon rails (mine have extra tubing added). In this picture you can see how much more coverage there is under the body and how many extra mount points there are underneath compared to the three on the stock rails.

Those aren't your rubicon rails with tubing added

Anywho, i've seen these Poison Spyder Rock Rails in person and I have to admit...they are pretty awesome!
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Awesome writeup, Moose!
post #8 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Wheeler

That's a sexy hardware kit....!!!

Brent Murray
Sales Manager

post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Those look great Moose. I like the body matching inserts.
Thanks Rotorhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
You forgot to mention that nobody will ever slam their door into your jeep again when they park too close. Thats one of my favorite parts about these sliders.
Absolutely!! Another great concrete jungle perk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Awesome writeup, Moose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderCJ View Post
That's a sexy hardware kit....!!!
Thanks guys!! Keep up the great work!! Who else makes hardware SEXY??
post #10 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

damn sweet dooood

on my list fer sure!

LOL @ "Miami Merge Masters"

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #11 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Those are so bad-ass!!

I am hoping to get a set put on in the New Year. Shipping here to Canada is a real kick in the beets though...

Thanks for the writeup and pics!
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
Those aren't your rubicon rails with tubing added
Your right. I have a hard time letting go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Those are so bad-ass!!

I am hoping to get a set put on in the New Year. Shipping here to Canada is a real kick in the beets though...

Thanks for the writeup and pics!
Your welcome.

You need a Jeeping/JKO buddy down in Washington that you can send them to. Then you take a little trip, have a install party, get some Washington mud on them and drive home!!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Rock God

I love them. Wish I had a jeep that wasnt black so I could do a cool color match too. Is there any way you can take a pic from the side or something to see how they could possibly function as a step?

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #14 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Openly Hostile

here you go. I stand on mine everyday putting my son in his car seat.

Jason
post #15 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

SDMF beat me but I also took some pictures...

Not designed as a step but it does work pretty well as one.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Rock God

Thank you guys. Im just trying to figure out what kind of sliders I can get that will double very well for a step for a 5 foot nothing girlfriend.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode