Trek top help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Trek top help

Hey guys, I've been trying to find a thread on this topic, but can't seem to find an answer. A few days ago I purchased a trek top off of Craigslist. I wasn't sure of the model trek top it was, but I ended up getting it, because of the deal. (Whichever model has the metal bar door surrounds) The day I got it, I installed it, and everything looks great, but it is extremely loud. I've read that it is just as loud, if not quieter than the stock soft top, but this is not even close to the case. At 20 mph I can't even hear my music, and it is very annoying. Could I have done something wrong? Could this be an older model top, that is louder? Somehow the air is causing the top to flap and be loud, any help would be great! Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to own the gen 1 trektop with the metal door surrounds. I had some wind noise and flapping but it wasn't terrible. After a while, I made my own top prop out of pvc that kept the top tight. Before that, the top was kinda droopy...water would pool up on the top, etc. Here's a pic of exactly what i made for mine...found this on another forum a while back...

it was easy enough to make, only cost me like $7, and fixed the loose issue i was having. It's easy enough to make and you just cut the narrow pvc to a proper size to keep it arched.

If that doesnt fix it, i would check that you have the header installed properly.

Without seeing pics its hard to know what generation of top you have and what the issue would be...

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I called bestop today, I found out that even thought it is a new trek top, it's the treat top classic, not the nx, so it's made for trails, not high speeds. Might try to trade it for an nx, if not I might try that mod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I recently got the NX and its a night and day difference rom the trektop. I really like it so far. I had the gen one trektop with the metal door surrounds that bolt in place, the header that requires a bar and brackets to screw in place, and the top that velcros in place.

The Trektop NX is totally different and they made smart upgrades. It has a much better header setup (similar to factory), better door surrounds (similar to factory), a better tailgate bar setup, braces similar to the pvc brace I had made, and no velcro! And I don't need to carry wrenches to unbolt the surrounds. I recommend it so far.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #5 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah I think I'm going to sell mine, and invest in an nx

post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

I ran that top.... The noise is from the top of the A pillar at the windshield. There should be a little flap of material in there, cut up a few strips of 1/2" foam weatherstripping and stick it onto the flappy piece. It eliminated the noise for me.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

Sorry to hear about the problems with the "old" trek top. If you do upgrade to the NX then I can tell you that it is worth it and works great on the freeway at 75MPH+ after you change out the rear bar for something heavy (on a 2 door, not sure if the 4-door has the same problem). The rear bar is a piece of pretty flimsy aluminum that will bend up and down at freeway speeds causing some loud and violent flapping. The fix is super easy and is detailed here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/tr...nt-150756.html

Basically - replace the rear bar with a 48" piece of 1/2" pipe with end caps. I did this and have had no issues with the flapping since, works perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode