Rubicon Gear Install Locker Tip - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Rubicon Gear Install Locker Tip

This has been covered many times, but thought it deserved it's own topic.

There's a common issue when installing gears in the JK Rubi, and that's the lockers don't work correctly afterward. Nearly every time it's to do with the locker sensor.

The locker sensor (plunger) needs to be behind the plate on the side gear, ie: the plunger needs to be installed before the diff, and when the diff is installed they need to make sure the plunger is hooked over the plate.

If you don't one of two things will happen, a/ it will lock correctly but the dash light will just flash as it doesn't know it's locked, or b/ the plunger may exert enough pressure on the side gear plate to engage the locker and it will be locked all the time.

The plunger can also be bent when installing the diff. This stops it pulling out when the locker is engaged, and it exerts enough force on the plate to prevent the side gear engaging.

This is how the sensor plunger should look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Rock God

FWIW the rear carrier can be pulled in and out without ever messing with the locker plunger. You only "need" to worry about it on the front.

post #3 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
FWIW the rear carrier can be pulled in and out without ever messing with the locker plunger.
Good point. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop installers pulling the sensor out and messing it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Rock God

It was a great tip Phil. I just thought I would add the other tidbit to help the DIYers know that they don't have to take the plunger out of the rear at all. So they can avoid the problem all together on the rear. (since they can't see the plunger and most take it apart to be safe)

post #5 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice thread guys

this is what you will pull out of front and rear diff when they dont do it right AND dont tell you they didnt the plunger missing the plunger was in the front, yeah they put it back together without fixing what they broke, well they tried on the rear locker elec. connector with silicone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #6 of 17 Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

Looks like Mopar 68003589AA Axle Locker Sensor and 68003570AA connector time! - repair people should buy them in bulk since it seems they endeavor to make them look like your picture.

Thanks for the thread - I've often read how this commonly gets messed up by installers and can lead to expensive problems. The other issue I often hear about is failure to use a housing spreader to set carrier bearing preload correctly.

Why don't one of you JK gearheads post a gear install writeup in the library here - I know it will get a lot of reads. There is some info on the Internet but none of them really address the JK Rubicon Dana 44 in detail.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #7 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

[QUOTE=chasinternet;285793The other issue I often hear about is failure to use a housing spreader to set carrier bearing preload correctly.[/QUOTE]I won't argue about the correct way to put carrier back in, but I've put 77k miles on mine since gears were done without using a case spreader. Had the diffs out a few times along the way too.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
Why don't one of you JK gearheads post a gear install writeup in the library here - I know it will get a lot of reads. There is some info on the Internet but none of them really address the JK Rubicon Dana 44 in detail.

I was going to do it, but I looked at the Polyperformance site and they have it there in great detail, just for the JK. But if there is a demand I will be changing my gears out over the Christmas holiday and taking pics.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

If there is a good writeup on the gear swap that would be awesome....
post #10 of 17 Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Wheeler

Does anyone know what you are supposed to use to seal the treads on the sensor? Is it supposed to have a gasket or O-ring, or do you just use RTV or something like that?

Thanks for the help.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Wheeler

Axle Locker Sensor by Chrysler - 68003569AA

4 wheel parts has the same part as dealer but cheaper $71.99 the dealer wants 115.00 free shipping when picking up in store.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

I had my gears done at Randys ring & pinion over a month ago and they bent the plunger in the front axle. The thing that pisses me off is that when i picked it up the guy said he drove it and everything was fine. I didnt notice until i was a few miles down the road that the light was flashing. I had to wait until the following monday to call them because when i picked it up the closed up behind me and it was also a friday.

I took it back when i had time thinking they knew what the problem was ( the plunger). Dropped it off at 8 am and told them to call me when it was finished. I called them at 2pm and the tech he just pulled the diff cover and saw that the plunger was indeed bent and that they would have to order one. That was friday the 10th and ive yet to hear from them. Ill be calling them this week but due to work i wont be able to leave it with them until next friday. This whole thing has been a pain in the ass and im not too happy i have to leave it with them for a 3rd time. Im not impressed at all with randys service and will not do business with them again. The problem should have been discovered when it was test driven.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Wheeler

post #14 of 17 Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Its been good revisiting this thread. Both of my lockers work fine but my lights blink. I need to check this or get it checked I think.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #15 of 17 Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I was going to do it, but I looked at the Polyperformance site and they have it there in great detail, just for the JK. But if there is a demand I will be changing my gears out over the Christmas holiday and taking pics.
is there any way you can find this and post a link. ive looked on their site and cant seem to run across it. im thinking of installing my gears this week myself.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Granite Guru

Bumping this super old thread, but I just put the carrier back in my Front, the locker light was blinking when I tried to use it - no load going straight down the street, no idea if it was actually working or not.

That locker tip - may be a dumb question but thats a rear..same thing applicable on the front? I just slid the carrier back in straight, didn't do anything with the plunger at all....ideas?
post #17 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

Ok, Just went and tested this under load driving up some steps, locker light stays solid...i'm assuming this means its working? Didn't want to do anything on dry pavement where I could really tell.

I jacked up the tires, unlocked spinning the drivers side and the pass spins opposite. Hit the locker switch and I can't spin anything, maybe I'm a pussy, idk.

Assuming until I'm on an obstacle this seems normal, correct? Cant remember if I needed to be under load for the front to work before, and I am obviously always under load when Ive used in the past anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode