AFE on 2014 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Location: Currently stationed at Fort Carson Colorado, and Live north of Colorado Springs
AFE on 2014 JK

Since I am finally starting a new build I thought I would start posting the Mods and my experience with them. First up just installed an AFE Intake.

I drive back and forth to work and put a lot of miles on my jeep so even a little help with mileage would be nice. Yes I know I drive a jeep so looking for an increase in mileage seems redundant but any help is help. Also any extra power is good if it can be achieved.

I have never used AFE products before but I figure I would try it since I had read some good reviews. Here are my impressions.

My jeep is a 2014 JK unlimited rubicon with an Auto.

During the intall I found it to be extreamly, easy so I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence with a step by step of the install.

Components looked well made and of good material for what it is.

However since we have all levels of mechanical expertise on here there was a couple notes I took for a DIY beginner during the install as I think the instructions did not cover these points well. So these would be my recommendations.

Take care when removing the temp sensor wire from the temp sensor in the factory intake as this is a delicate component. You want to squeeze the base of the connector on the flat part of the catch and it will release with ease, if your trying to force it at all to pull on it look again where your squeezing the release.

When removing the temp sensor from the bung in the factory intake tube use the small tab that protrudes from the actual sensor to turn it counter clockwise 45*. It is only the center part being removed not the whole bung.

When installing the temp sensor in the new intake tube, you may find it easier to put the the grommet on the sensor first, then push it into the tube and gently massage the grommet with a small flat tip screw driver on the outside of the grommet, getting one side in then working your way around. Then reach inside to fell that the grommet is fully seated. This will help you to get the sensor in the grommet without having to use any lube that might not be good for the sensor.

These were the only parts of the install I found noteworthy everything else is covered by instructions or is self explanatory.

I would post pictures but haven't figured that out yet maybe later if requested and I have someone younger in my house show me how.

So now it's installed and no I don't have dyno results, but this is what I found.

Upon start up and then subsequent rev, noticeable change in sound. Very deep throughty, and you can defiantly hear a difference.

First drive, very little difference in power at lower RPM but then becomes very noticable above 4000 RPM. I was a bit impressed at the difference above the 4k mark but will concede that this won't make a difference in normal wheeling or driving conditions. But I could feel a difference none the less.

I live in Colorado, and live at 7300 ft and work at 5800 ft so your results may differ than mine. Up here any potential for more air is good.

I don't do much water fording and take it slow when I do so this is not a concern for me but depending on where you live and wheel it might be for you, as the shield only blocks some radiant heat from the eng and will no block anything else. I would be concerned if the filter got wet as I'm not sure how the element would do in this scenerio.

As I am driving I will monitor my MPG and post updates before I do any other mods. To let everyone know if things are better, worse or the same.

Overall right now I'm happy with it, but will post more later about MPG, cleaning, how often I have to clean or replace the element and will check the inside of the intake tube periodically especially after trail use to see if anything is getting through.

Hope this helps someone and see you on the trail.

This We'll Defend!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

It is interesting that on a fuel injected motor that adjust the air to fuel ratio with the computer that somehow you are able to change the sound coming out of the same exhaust. Can you explain how this happens?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Location: Currently stationed at Fort Carson Colorado, and Live north of Colorado Springs

The sound I mostly hear the difference is at the intake. With the element being so open you can hear the vacuumed when the TB opens. But I can hear a distinct difference when driving as well, as I've heard in previous builds with open air elements. I know it breaths in better but I don't think it is really anything that makes the exhaust sound different, just more air moving through. It is most likely a mix of hearing the exhaust with a slight difference and hearing the now open intake that was previously not heard. I don't think this element can make such a difference in airflow that the exhaust is solely responsible for the the change in sound.

This We'll Defend!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 05:35 PM
JKO Addict!

How is there more air moving thru the exhaust?

Some build info here:

post #5 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

If there is more volume going in (as we hope with these) there is more going out. It is burnt exhaust gas but still in more volume. But I still think it is more hearing the intake.

This We'll Defend!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

With computer controlled air/fuel mixture there would not be any more air moving thru the system just because you are running a different filter.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The benefit of these types of filters is to allow more air to move into the engine by reducing the restriction at the point of the filter. The engine (naturally aspirated) has air move in due to vacuum created as the pistons move down in the cylinder with intake valve open.
The less restrictive filter lets more air by, in the same way that a holding a vacuum tube would, holding it up to a blanket would rather than a pillow (yes I know extreme example).
Also most of these filters have more surface area than a factory filter which adds to potential air flow. So less restriction means more potential airflow.
The next item would be colder air to make the air more dense by volume but this is the real challenge for these types of systems especially in the engine bay of a JK.
The computer matches the fuel, in ratio, to the amount of air moving through the the intake and into the cylinders.
So the purpose of these is to allow more free flowing air into the engine with less restriction. It's up to the computer to figure out what to do with it.

Sorry if I have over explained anything or seemingly dumbed it down to much. Not my intent.

This We'll Defend!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here is a picture of it installed.
Attached Images

This We'll Defend!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok that was rather large sorry

This We'll Defend!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode