LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Tire install (Non-Beadlock)

I've said I was going to do this for a while so here it is:

Cooper STT 37x12.5R17 on MRW 17x9.5 rim

Tools required

1 Tire Spoon (I use Euro style because it has a little hook on the end and it slides better.)

Use soapy water to lubricate the tire. It makes it easier to slide on the steel.

To install make sure inner tire bead is under the outer lip on the wheel.

You can use your foot to keep the inner part of the tire from poping up when you start to run the tire bead.

Work the bead in 2" lengths alternating sides. Take it slow---it doesn't pay to try and take big steps because you can damage the tire.

As you reach the end, you may not be able to get the tool between the tire and wheel. You can lift up a little to assist but usually if you have 6" or less a good kick it with your heel and it will set it.

Here is a picture of the inner tire wall on the rim. My inspector is looking for debris that may have fallen in.

Now for the fun part. (YES, that IS sarcasm.)

Place the outer tire bead under the outer wheel lip. It won't want to stay there in the beginning. Some tires like BFG have very plyable sidewalls and you can work them on the ground.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 12-05-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Continue

Other tires (stiff side walls) you will need to raise the wheel off the ground a few inches to let the tire weight sag and allow you to set the bead under the rim. I used 2 small ammo cans but some blocks of wood can work also.

Again use your foot or knee to help hold the tire in place.

Work the bead side to side the same way you worked the inner bead. 2" at a time.

Once the bead stays under the lip on its own you can return to the floor for better leverage.

When you reach the last bit, hit it with you heel again to pop the tire on completely.

Make sure you inspector likes what he/she sees =).

Then air up the tire.

If you have a really plyable tire you may have to set the wheel back up on the blocks. You will have to push on the tire to get the inner bead to set as well as it can. With air applied lift up lightly on the outer edges of the tire and try and close the gap between the outer bead and the outer rim. You can also try a ratchet strap around the outside of the tire and try and squeeze the bead out. I've never had much of an issue but I haven't done many tires over 12.5 " wide. Wide rim and tire combo's will have their own personal needs.

End note: Use as much soapy water as needed and apply any time. It will dry up.

For those the are worried about the rim they do sell cheap plastic rim protectors to keep the tool from gouging the rim.

I just wanted to put in a thank-you to my Wife (photographer) and Son (Inspector) for their help.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 12-05-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling and notes.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Awesome write up

where you get teh tire spoon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thx,

You can pick up a cheap spoon on E-bay, or spend a bit more at a Tool store, usually by the Big F-n pry-bars; I think even Northern Tool has them. Ken-Tool seems to have the market.

You'll need two if your going to remove the tire, which is a Big PITA. I've done it on the trail swapping tires from a different rim. I hung out with alot of Toyota guys and always had the odd-ball rim 5x5.5. We would exchange tires all the time to keep the trip going. Tires are no fun if it wont hold air.

I'll do a write-up on dis-mount first time I cut one. I'm hoping it will be a while.

Quote:

post #5 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

I used to know an old guy that changed tires by hand regularly. He used a regular old pry bar and a rubber mallet.

Me, I like the mechanical advantage... Call me lazy.

Nice write up, Im guessing your inspector approved your work!

post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

Nice write up.... This was my favorite part.. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post

When you reach the last bit, hit it with you heel again to pop the tire on completely.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #7 of 14 Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

I mounted 35" BFG KM2s on Rugged Ridge wheels with Staun internal beadlocks and will post a write up someday. It was difficult getting the stiff new tires on - definitely no fun.

I have tire irons from Harbor Freight but aluminum wheels scratch/dent real easy. Rugged Ridge ships the rims with a plastic edge protector - but it required too much force with the irons and it would slip off. I also had the potential problem of the internal beadlock tubes getting holes from the tire irons.

Frustrated, I came up with this idea - works great - a ten foot 2X4 as a lever placed on a short 4X4 (with a couple short 2X4 side pieces to keep it centered). I put the end of the 2X4 under my heavy bolted down workbench (otherwise would lift up)- also tried it under the Jeep.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
Frustrated, I came up with this idea - works great - a ten foot 2X4 as a lever placed on a short 4X4 (with a couple short 2X4 side pieces to keep it centered). I put the end of the 2X4 under my heavy bolted down workbench (otherwise would lift up)- also tried it under the Jeep.

Nice Trick, it will make a great bead breaker too.

Quote:

post #9 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Yeah.. Norhern Tools has the spoons.. $7.99 for a 30in model..

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1774_200331774

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Do y'all balance your own then as well? Or are these trail only tires where being balanced doesn't matter?

Bill aka

ɯǝlqoɹd ɐ ǝʌɐɥ ǝʍ'uoʇsnoɥ
'09 JK - 4.5", 37's, snorkel, chopped flares, XRC Front Bumper (FOR SALE - $11,750)
'98 TJ - 3", 32's
'89 M101A2 trailer - cargo/expedition wagon
'89 Winnebago Chieftain - camper/tow rig

Trail Guide: 2015-2017 Topless for Tatas, 2015-2017 Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival
post #11 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
Do y'all balance your own then as well? Or are these trail only tires where being balanced doesn't matter?
If I feel the need to balance I cut the coupon out of the back of the phone book for a cheap Balance and rotation. It's usually 1/3 of the price they would charge to mount and balance when you buy.

For this set I'm going to have the tires trued (shaved to make them round) and then see if they need balanced.

Quote:

post #12 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I mounted my MT/R Kevlar 35x12.5-17's myself and never had them balanced. I'm not sure it's that big of a deal after driving 1,000+ miles this past week at average speeds of 65-70 and topping out at 83.7 at some point (not sure where, but the GPS said I did it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
If I feel the need to balance I cut the coupon out of the back of the phone book for a cheap Balance and rotation. It's usually 1/3 of the price they would charge to mount and balance when you buy.

For this set I'm going to have the tires trued (shaved to make them round) and then see if they need balanced.
Yep.. And if you catch the right special, you can get free balance and rotation when you get an oil change..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Granite Guru

Great write up! I have used Wal-mart for years on my old Jeep (35 x 12.5). they have always just charged me $7 for removal, mount and balance of each tire. Oh I had to pay extra if I needed stems.

2007 JK Rubicon
Rock Krawler, ORI STX, RCV, Warn Powerplant HD on 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode