DIY license plate relocate - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
DIY license plate relocate

So this weekend I nailed my license plate bracket on a notorious taillight killer, seeing as this was the 2nd time it happened I took to the garage to find a way to move my license plate and make it street legal.

The gun lock and zipties looked great and all...but...

To remove the license plate holder first take off the license plate then use a 7mm socket to take out the bolts holing the plate itself on. The top 2 will require an extension for whatever drive you're using, I used a 3 in extension on a 3/8 drive. Removing the lower 2 bolts is tricky because the bumper is in the way, aftermarket or stock. The lower left bolt is easy and can be reached by a ratchet, but the right one requires a little finesse, I just used a pair of pliers and some patience.

Once I removed the holder I used a 1/4 inch bit and drilled 4 marked holes for the license plate. To find where you need to drill just bend your plate around the corner and mark it with a sharpie, be sure to mark the center of the holes.

Disconnect your battery, remove you rear taillight, and then disconnect the power leading to the lights. Once you've done that remove the lights themselves.

Once everything is removed, go ahead and drill the holes, but do not drill the lower right corner of the plate, it leads into a little reinforcement box that you can't get into, 3 bolts is more then enough to hold it on.

Any 1/4 inch bolt can be used and fits perfectly in the plate's holes. Once you drill the holes put the license plate on and fit in the bolts. Reach inside the hole where the taillight used to be and using a wrench hold the nuts in place while you tighten the outside bolts. Go as tight as you want for the outside (driver's side) bolts, but the right bolt should only be taken as tight as you can get it without bending the metal, past the outside sheet metal there is a piece of reinforcement that leads into the cavity, over tightening the bolts compresses the metal and dents the outside.

Making it street legal is the fun part. Take apart the OEM license plate holder so you can get a hold of the light and the reflector attached to it. To mount the light I took the reflector off the light and drill a hole in the brake light housing. For this part I had to use a 1/2 inch bit, being as that was the largest I had, but the light is slightly larger. I do not know the bit size needed, but a dremel would be the perfect tool for this part.

After I managed to get the light inside the brake light housing and drop outside, I put the reflector back on a secured it, The hole I managed to create with a 1/2 inch bit was perfect to get it stuck in place. The final thing that must be dealt with is the wire from the light. I doesn't need much wiggle room, but for the brake lights to fit back in place I made a cut about 1/4 of an inch from the hole for the reverse light and but the wire in place.

After that just reconnect everything you disconnected at the beginning, and voila, no more rocks can jump out and get ya

This is how the light drops through the taillight

(I'll try to get a better picture tonight, this was in my garage with the headlights of my jeep on so it doesn't look like much)

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JK Inferno; 11-29-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

I like it and I think I got a project I can afford
post #3 of 6 Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Wheeler

im all over this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yeah it was pretty easy, any questions just PM me

I understand the Jeep thing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Wheeler

added to the done list today
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Where's the daytime pic?

2008 Unlimited X - Steel Blue
- Slightly Modded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode