Skinning the Tailgate - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Skinning the Tailgate

Since I don't keep my spare on the gate I decided to clean up the look or my rear end and add some needed weight back thar.

First I made the filler to go between the quarter armor

I marked off the gate and cut out what I didn't need, I should have just removed the entire skin but too late now

Cut out some of the inner reinforcement for now, Ill do the rest later.

Kerryp was over giving me a hand, He cleaned the paint off the gate. Thanks Kerry for the help.

Some weld thru primer

No pictures of me cutting the skin, I had Kerry busy so he couldn't take my picture again. so here it is before welding

Back on for a test fit, not that it would matter at this point but it fit good. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Rock God

Very cool.....but does it run yet??

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #3 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

i want to do this as well but wonder how the ac will suffer, when you turn on the ac fan it blows through that vent pretty well and i just worry that it will slow or stop the flow of air. but it looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddandshari'sjk View Post
Very cool.....but does it run yet??
It runs but I still have some lights on and some things don't work. The TIPM will be in on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
i want to do this as well but wonder how the ac will suffer, when you turn on the ac fan it blows through that vent pretty well and i just worry that it will slow or stop the flow of air. but it looks good!

I have an off road heros soft, the upper portion of the top at the rear does not connect to the window. So I have a large enough pressure relief to keep the heater and ac from pressurizing the interior and not working properly.

|
|
post #5 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 AM
TrailDuty.com

Nice work as always

You really do have too much spare time you know
post #6 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice!
post #7 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Nice work as always

You really do have too much spare time you know
I get time occasionally I am done with everyone else's stuff so now its time to get a few things done to my jeep.

|
|
post #8 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

Very nice and clean, I like!

Did you think about setting up your own drop-down while you had it off? Or did you want to keep the swing?

Either way, looks !
post #9 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Rock God

Nice!

post #10 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Joe,

it would be cool if you could integrate the raised Jeep letters for a CJ tail gate on there also,

great work as always...

Jeff M.
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4", 37's, 5.13's, and stuff
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jeep jk unlimited, jk rubicon,
post #11 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Awesome ... wish I had the tools and skills to do that ... I would also like to weld in the Embossed Jeep Logo as well ....

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #12 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypnite View Post
Very nice and clean, I like!

Did you think about setting up your own drop-down while you had it off? Or did you want to keep the swing?

Either way, looks !
I thought about it I even bought hinges but I decided to leave it swing open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmarion View Post
Joe,

it would be cool if you could integrate the raised Jeep letters for a CJ tail gate on there also,

great work as always...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Awesome ... wish I had the tools and skills to do that ... I would also like to weld in the Embossed Jeep Logo as well ....
Who told yall?!

|
|
post #13 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Granite Guru

nice work......looks great.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

very cool

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #15 of 30 Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

can't wait to see updated pics!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 30 Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Here is the filler below the tailgate, I finished the body work on it and the quarters. I will hopefully have time this weekend to finish.

|
|
post #17 of 30 Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru

Looking even better! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the tailgate (not that I've been drooling over the idea of the CJ-style JEEP lettering back there or anything...).
post #18 of 30 Old 12-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Wheeler

Looks good. Since your corners are not welded to your body, any reason while you were doing the welding/body work that you did not go ahead and fill in the holes where the bolts use to go?

2008 Unlimited X
2" Synergy Hybrid Lift, 5.13's and 37's on 18's
post #19 of 30 Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba08 View Post
Looks good. Since your corners are not welded to your body, any reason while you were doing the welding/body work that you did not go ahead and fill in the holes where the bolts use to go?

I think that's a typo, the corners are welded. I have primer behind the corners and if I weld the holes up it will burn the primer off and I wont be able to access the area to re prime it. I am going to put the bolts in after I repaint this time. Good question, I should have done it before I put the corners on.

|
|
post #20 of 30 Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I think that's a typo, the corners are welded. I have primer behind the corners and if I weld the holes up it will burn the primer off and I wont be able to access the area to re prime it. I am going to put the bolts in after I repaint this time. Good question, I should have done it before I put the corners on.
Sorry, I meant welded......don't you hate it when you forget to do small things like that!

2008 Unlimited X
2" Synergy Hybrid Lift, 5.13's and 37's on 18's
post #21 of 30 Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweba08 View Post
Sorry, I meant welded......don't you hate it when you forget to do small things like that!
Yeah its bugged the shit out of me for over a year now.

No progress today, took the kids to home depot for the kids workshop, took my buddies fucked up car to the salvage yard, put out the Christmas yard decorations and fixed some water lines.

|
|
post #22 of 30 Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

I like the 'clean', but I would have added the "JEEP" logo.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I like the 'clean', but I would have added the "JEEP" logo.
I am, just waiting on a supplier to get back with me.

Thanks

|
|
post #24 of 30 Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to AnkurGT Send a message via Yahoo to AnkurGT

BUMP - Where's the pic of the JEEP logo??

The Ramblin' Rubinator:
2009 Stone White Rubicon Unlimited
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper w/ MileMarker 9500SEC Winch - Rancho Rear Bumper/Carrier - Rancho 4" Sport Lift - 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2s on 17" M/T Sidebiters - AirRaid Cold Air Intake and Throttle Body Spacer - Rugged Ridge Side Armor and Euroguards - IPF XSD900 Lights - Rancho Crawler Cat-back Exhaust - Poly Performance Gussets and Sleeves - ARB Competition Diff Covers

post #25 of 30 Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Granite Guru

Cool idea!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode