Half doors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Half doors

So I picked up some factory half door shells and I finally bought all the internals. Everything I needed was around 800.00 to assemble the doors as far as I know now. I'll have a better idea when I get all the parts here and start putting it all together. My biggest worry was someone stealing the doors from the Jeep. I think I have it solved
Instead of buying manual door lock latches, I bought power door lock latches. I am wiring them to the alarm on the Jeep so that when I lock the doors, they are LOCKED onto the Jeep. I am not putting in the lock cylinder OR the internals to hook up to the inside lock paddle. I figured that someone could easily enough reach in, unlock the door and as long as they can get the locking nut thingy I bought off, they have some new factory half doors. This way, they can't unlock the doors without the alarm remote so when the doors are locked, they are literally locked to the Jeep. I'm pretty stoked about this and I'll post pictures and a write up as I go.

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

looking forward to the pics!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

pics or it didn't happen

surbscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 04:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAR View Post
So I picked up some factory half door shells and I finally bought all the internals. Everything I needed was around 800.00 to assemble the doors as far as I know now. I'll have a better idea when I get all the parts here and start putting it all together. My biggest worry was someone stealing the doors from the Jeep. I think I have it solved
Instead of buying manual door lock latches, I bought power door lock latches. I am wiring them to the alarm on the Jeep so that when I lock the doors, they are LOCKED onto the Jeep. I am not putting in the lock cylinder OR the internals to hook up to the inside lock paddle. I figured that someone could easily enough reach in, unlock the door and as long as they can get the locking nut thingy I bought off, they have some new factory half doors. This way, they can't unlock the doors without the alarm remote so when the doors are locked, they are literally locked to the Jeep. I'm pretty stoked about this and I'll post pictures and a write up as I go.
Dude, you worry too much or live in a very undesireable place. I have the factory half doors and only keep one factory nut on each door. Someone steals them, it cost me $50 and the insurance company buys me new doors.

I do want to have a sticker made up with black letters on clear to put right above the door handle. It will say

If you mess with my Jeep I'll shoot your sorry azz

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 14 Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to 08RubiUnlimited

Yeah, owning half doors myself, I can tell you for sure that not having the inside handle will get old real quick, trust me
post #6 of 14 Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Dude, you worry too much or live in a very undesireable place. I have the factory half doors and only keep one factory nut on each door. Someone steals them, it cost me $50 and the insurance company buys me new doors.

I do want to have a sticker made up with black letters on clear to put right above the door handle. It will say

If you mess with my Jeep I'll shoot your sorry azz
can i steal your doors lol

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
pics or it didn't happen

surbscribed
X2, and subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Rock God

Are you leaving your 1/2 doors on all the time? How is the passenger gonna open the door? You gonna walk around and open for them ??? Or have them unzip the window and open for the outside handle?

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2009, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited View Post
Yeah, owning half doors myself, I can tell you for sure that not having the inside handle will get old real quick, trust me
He will have handles, he is just not hooking up the lock button thing.

Good idea IMO.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
He will have handles, he is just not hooking up the lock button thing.

Good idea IMO.
Exactly, thank you for clearing that up.

As far as me being concerned about theft, the thing that concerns me is thieves finding out how much people are willing to spend on half doors. They will start disappearing IMO and I'd rather hang on to mine. This will also be LESS expensive than buying the non-power latch and all of the lock cylinder components! I already have an alarm that has power lock provisions so it's a win win. This way, even if a thief were to remove the 4 screws that hold the hinge to the door, the door is still LOCKED to the Jeep. I live in a nice neighborhood but I have friends that I visit that live in apartments and I work at the at a place where I am gone for hours at a time and late into the night fairly often. Someone gets used to seeing my Jeep there with half doors, unattended, at night with the top off and gets a sneaky idea, I'd like to eliminate the option of theft for them. I also don't want to be stressed about coming out to the parking lot and seeing my half doors gone. That would suck.

I am looking at getting them painted on Dec 6th so I'll be assembling with full write up shortly after.

Oh and I have gotten a bunch of PM's asking where I got the parts. I used wholesalemopar.com. The prices were WAY better than the dealer could offer! I also have a 5% off coupon so let me know if you need the code.

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.

Last edited by ASTAR; 11-23-2009 at 11:29 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Granite Guru

so let me get this straight, you built mopar half doors for only 800$??? arn't there places selling them for like 2600!!?

2007 2dr Rubi: lifted, 37's, custom fab work, lots of other stuff

post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

I want to see the outcome.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I want to see the outcome.
No shit. Me too!

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr View Post
so let me get this straight, you built mopar half doors for only 800$??? arn't there places selling them for like 2600!!?
My bad, I meant to have said that I bought the shells from someone here locally. It was a guy that had bought them at the same time as his Jeep with the intention of buying all the internals and assembling them himself. I got a good deal on the shells. Everything I bought in addition to the door shells was about 800. They are getting painted this weekend so I should have them at least test fitted by early next week. I somehow screwed up when I placed the order with wholesalemopar.com and didn't order the harnesses for the power door locks. UGH, the shipping takes them a while so it'll be a while before I get them all wired up, and fully assembled. I'll at least bolt the hinges on, the outer handles, and the latches together and take some pictures.
My dad has a 4 door with factory half doors and he bought 4 full doors. He runs the halfs in the summer and the full doors in the winter so I'm hoping to try to borrow (read: steal haha) his half door tops to run on these as well.
I also need to get my Jeep to SoCal to the place that installed my alarm so they can run the wires out of the main control box for the alarm for the door locks. Should be 100% complete in the next 2 weeks but at least bolted on next week. Pics to soon follow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode