Rancho RS9000X Shocks (Front) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rancho RS9000X Shocks (Front)

As we all know, I tried to turn the stock Rubicon shock into a pretzel with moderate success. Knowing that I'm going with a taller lift in the future, and I'm already sitting a couple inches higher from my OME coil, I purchased some Rancho RS9000X shocks from Currie with their front adapters.

Comparison of the new shock with the old stock Rubicon shock that I ghetto mod'd:

Two Rancho RS9000X front shocks with Curries adapter kit:

I'm going to take pics as I go along, but have some questions first.

Only the smallest of those metal bushings (?) fit inside the rubber bushing, and if it's in there, the bolt doesn't go in. My assumption is these are not needed for the JK application...help?

Second, WTF is up with all billion of those washers?!

Now if SDMF or gt3073b could chime in here...

This is what I have going for the bottom of the shock:

Where are those washers supposed to sit? Any on the inside, or all on the outside of the bracket?

And this is what I have going for the top of the shock:

Thanks for any help on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ok, looks like I can use the smallest bushing in the pack and then utilize the stock bolt, OR...I drill out the shock mount holes a bit and utilize the new bolt (which is what I would prefer).

Edit: Ok, doesn't look like a lot of material on the bottom mount to be drilling out, so I'm going with using the smallest bushing and the stock bolts. Here's my new question!...There's a little play in the bottom mount with the shock in there. If I use a washer inside the mount on each side of where the shock sits, it gets nice and tight in there. So, is that a good thing, or should there be some room to play, if so, how much?

Figure this thread makes for a crazy write up, but perhaps us newbs can learn something about bushings, bolts, and...um...nuts?

Maybe when all is said and done, we'll all come out ahead and I won't have a weird wiggle when I go over the speed bumps at the mall.

Last edited by crypnite; 11-16-2009 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

Find the smallest metal insert that the bolt still fits in so you don't get rattles. Use the Currie hardware. The insert will look too large to fit in the bushing but it will work. Don't run the shock without the insert.

Lube the red bushing with some white lithium grease and press it into the shock eye. Lube the inside of the bushing and the outside of the metal insert with more lithium grease and SLOWLY press the insert in with a press or a vice with some wood blocks. Make sure everything is lined up square and don't try to work one edge of the insert in first. If it is lined up square, it will resist a bit then just pop in the first little bit. After that, just keep cranking the vice slowly and it will seat with no trouble. Don't worry that it looks way too large.

I'm sure those shocks would be $10 cheaper if they didn't include so much extra hardware.

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do

Last edited by gt3073b; 11-16-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3073b View Post
Find the smallest metal insert that the bolt still fits in so you don't get rattles. Use the Currie hardware. The insert will look too large to fit in the bushing but it will work. Don't run the shock without the insert.

Lube the red bushing with some white lithium grease and press it into the shock eye. Lube the inside of the bushing and the outside of the metal insert with more lithium grease and SLOWLY press the insert in with a press or a vice with some wood blocks. Make sure everything is lined up square and don't try to work one edge of the insert in first. If it is lined up square, it will resist a bit then just pop in the first little bit. After that, just keep cranking the vice slowly and it will seat with no trouble. Don't worry that it looks way too large.
Alright, I did it with the smallest bushing...see pic below. I didn't have to use grease or a vice (which scares me a little, but made it easy).

Installed, bottom mount, those are the two washers I'm not sure are supposed to be there. Think I might have bent the mount a little when I pretzeled the stock shock.

Quote:
I'm sure those shocks would be $10 cheaper if they didn't include so much extra hardware.

Bryan.
I agree! What's up with all those washers?!

Thanks for the reply...hopefully I just have to tighten things down from here and move on. Oh, another thing, I don't need to reutilize the bushing from up top that was for the stock shock, do I? It's now inside the shock itself, right?

Thanks again,
Josh
post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

You don't need to re-use the rubber disks that are on the top pin of the stock with the upper adapters. I think that was what you were asking...

Bryan.

Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
You don't need to re-use the rubber disks that are on the top pin of the stock with the upper adapters. I think that was what you were asking...

Bryan.
Yup, that's the piece I was talking about...was really wondering; 1) how the heck I was going to get the Currie adapter bolt through that thing...it's huge, and 2) what I was going ot use on the other side if I needed it, as that piece went far far away when it snapped.

Thanks for the info, looks like I just need to tighten things up a bit.

Oh, cause I can't stop asking questions...about the washers on the bottom mount (pic above), do I need those in there? There was space on the stock one without issues (I think).
post #7 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

Use the washers to fill the gap in the mounts but I wouldn't wedge them in.

Bryan.

In Progress
To Do
post #8 of 12 Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Great! Thanks for all the help. Everything on and mostly tightened. I have to go out and get an open end wrench for on top of the shock mount. Not enough room up there to get the socket wrench and stuff.

I'll put a solid piece up here on the morrow once I get everything in order. I've actually never had to deal with bushings and stuff before, so thanks for the help with all that!

Josh
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

All tightened down and good to go. No movement after a little testing, will check again in a few miles of play.

Note on the adapter from Currie: Beefy...really beefy. And with that comes large nuts (insert comment here...my wife did ), so make sure you have a 25mm wrench on hand. Also, I started cranking away on one side above the top shock mount...about 15 minutes later I realized what all those washers were for. So including the washer that came with Currie's kit, I placed three more washers up there (total 4) and it went quick and smooth and the nut is on there nice and tight.

As we were discussing above, there are A LOT of extra pieces that come with the shocks that are not needed, notably the bolt, some metal bushings and about 500 of the washers.

I haven't placed the rubber boot on there (asthetic reasons only) but will see how this desert climate plays havoc on them and go from there.

The adjustment piece of the shock is great. Currently have it set at max (9) as I'm attempting to stop the bottoming out until the bump stops come in. Once I install that, I'll be able to dial it in better for those nasty speed bumps.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

How do the 9000's ride? I've been looking at getting them, have my 2" BB Rubicon lift coming soon...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

They are adjustable so you can set them how you like. There is plenty of range of adjustment.

In Progress
To Do
post #12 of 12 Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
How do the 9000's ride? I've been looking at getting them, have my 2" BB Rubicon lift coming soon...
As gt3073b said, they are adjustable. You can go anywhere from 1 (squishy!) to 9 (teeth jarring, I'm finding). Soon as I get some extra pieces, I'll be dialing it in a little better and finding out what works best for me on road and then a setting for off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode