Philips head screw driver
Drill & 7/32” Drill Bit
Wire Cutters / Strippers
Remove factory tail light with a Philips head screw driver. Place SR-M gasket over the clear lens as a guide for cutting.
Fit the light and mark holes. Use 7/32” drill bit to make pilot holes. The ¼” bolts provided will tap into these quite easily.
I only wanted to tap these into the existing factory wiring, so I cut the harness it came with.
I used Posi-Tap connectors to on the end of the newly cut harness.
Connect new harness connects to old factory reverse light harness - positive to positive, negative to negative. Wrap up/waterproof old plug, and bundle everything together with electrical tape to avoid rattles.
Test to make sure it lights up. Re-install and that’s it!
The output is incredible, I look forward to backing up now. :thumbsup:
I know it's been awhile since this was posted, but I'm curious... Any issues with water getting into the taillight housing with this setup?
Just wanted to follow up...
I did this mod last weekend, and I believe this is absolutely the best thing I've done to my JKU. Period.
I ran a thin bead of Ultra Black RTV on both sides of the gasket -- including around the bolt holes -- just to make sure it was well sealed.
I ended up drilling a 5/16" hole in the bottom of the backup light housing/"reflector," tucked the Rigid wiring in behind the light, and ran just the hot and ground wires out of the hole. This allowed me to seal up the hole for the light socket.
Then I picked up some 3157/3156 male pigtails. Soldered them up to the Rigid wires, plugged them into the OEM backup light sockets, and taped them up real well. This way there isn't anything just hanging there to corrode.