NEW Rigid Industries SR-M Flush Mount Back Up Light Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

NEW Rigid Industries SR-M Flush Mount Back Up Light Kit

*A disclaimer before going any further. I am not a professional mechanic. These steps worked for me and are only meant as a guide.

I am extremely impressed with this kit and decided to do a quick write up from my experience last night.

Rigid Industries SR-M Back Up Kit | Offroad Elements

Tools:
Philips head screw driver
Dremel Tool
Allen Keys
Drill & 7/32 Drill Bit
Wire Cutters / Strippers
Wire Connectors

Remove factory tail light with a Philips head screw driver. Place SR-M gasket over the clear lens as a guide for cutting.

Fit the light and mark holes. Use 7/32 drill bit to make pilot holes. The bolts provided will tap into these quite easily.

I only wanted to tap these into the existing factory wiring, so I cut the harness it came with.

I used Posi-Tap connectors to on the end of the newly cut harness.

Connect new harness connects to old factory reverse light harness - positive to positive, negative to negative. Wrap up/waterproof old plug, and bundle everything together with electrical tape to avoid rattles.

Test to make sure it lights up. Re-install and thats it!

The output is incredible, I look forward to backing up now. :thumbsup:

-Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call us 774-826-9948
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Shit. Those are sweet. Thanks for the writeup.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Wheeler

That's awesome, man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 AM
DaK
Rock God

They are awesome have had them installed just like this for months. Also have them wired to the sPod so we can use them for trail maintenance or whatever.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

I know it's been awhile since this was posted, but I'm curious... Any issues with water getting into the taillight housing with this setup?

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
I know it's been awhile since this was posted, but I'm curious... Any issues with water getting into the taillight housing with this setup?
Just wanted to follow up...

I did this mod last weekend, and I believe this is absolutely the best thing I've done to my JKU. Period.

I ran a thin bead of Ultra Black RTV on both sides of the gasket -- including around the bolt holes -- just to make sure it was well sealed.

I ended up drilling a 5/16" hole in the bottom of the backup light housing/"reflector," tucked the Rigid wiring in behind the light, and ran just the hot and ground wires out of the hole. This allowed me to seal up the hole for the light socket.

Then I picked up some 3157/3156 male pigtails. Soldered them up to the Rigid wires, plugged them into the OEM backup light sockets, and taped them up real well. This way there isn't anything just hanging there to corrode.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode