Rock Hard 4x4 skids problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Rock Hard 4x4 skids problem

I have a 2013 2 door rubicon. I ordered my rock hard skids and specified I had a 2013 when I ordered. I got the shim with what I ordered, but I can't seem to get things to line up. I finally got everything but the catalytic skid on, but no matter what I do I can't get it to line up. Also the front oil pan skid's driver side bracket is a bit off. The gas tank and transfer case skid are at different heights. Does any one know what I am doing. This does not look any thing like the pictures I find online. The pictures look all clean and aligned and proper mine looks like crap. Any one else seeing this issue on a 2013? AM I missing something???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Can you post some photos of what it looks like? That might help diagnose the issue.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I will post shortly. The only issue I have now is the small bracket that connects the fuel skid and transfer skid. The hole on the fuel skid is almost directly under the fuel tank. So the bolt will only go in a little ways, and where it comes through THere is not enough clearance to get the nut over the bolt. It's a bit frustrating. All of the other issues I was having last night were my bad, I was tired and needed sleep. So I woke up this morning had a good breakfast and got back out there. Everything else lined up except the bracket issue. I also noticed the oil door does not have a skid washer on it and I thought it was suppose to but what ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

In the first picture the fuel tank skid is the closest skid. You can see how it and the transfer case skid don't line up quite right. The second picture probably shows it the best (fuel tank skid is farthest away). Also in the second picture you can see the 2 holes that are suppose to have 2 bolts coming through but I can not get the bolt in the fuel tank skid side because the fuel tank is directly over the hole. Ass you can see in the pictures I tried to use a rubber mallet to pursued some movement. And yes I made sure all the bolts were loose before using the mallet, but still no luck.
Attached Images

post #5 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

My first question may seem silly, but...just in case...did you loosely bolt in everything before tightening the bolts down?

And they still didn't fit? I remember needing to get just a few threads in on mine, adjust the skid a bit, and then get a chance to tighten all of them down afterward. It's sort of a PITA
post #6 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

of the bolts I could get in yes, put them all in loose first. The transfercase skid I could only get the driver side bolt in at first. Once I cranked down the driver side, I could put the second one, and once it was cranked down I could get the third on, and same with the 80mm bolt that goes throught the transmission cross member. COuldn't get that one in until the bolt closest to it was cranked down. And the nut for that one is very close to the tranfercase if not touching it.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

The way that protective washer sits, along with the way the break (fold) in the gas tank skid looks makes me think the skids were put on in the wrong order. It made a difference with the skids I have, anyway.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Do you know what ored they were suppose to go on? According to the directions, which were very very basic and limited, the oil pan/transmission skid is suppose to go over the transfer case skid, which is what I did. The biggest issue is the fuel skid hangs ki da low and the hole for the bracket that goes on the fuel to the transfer case skids can not because the fuel tank it self is in the way. I may have done something wrong its definitely possible. I need some one to confirm this for me if they can.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 AM
DaK
Rock God

Call Rock Hard... they can mostly solve your issue quickly.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Granite Guru

Do call Rock Hard but here's my take (I have the engine,trans,transfer skids but no gas tank):

1. The engine skid DOES go over the trans skid and leaves a gap on the one bolt protector. So that is right.

2. It looks like everything is off by the thickness of the shim. Mine came with the big shim (maybe two?) that gets used if you are using the gas tank skid also. I did not use it because I wasn't using the gas tank skid. Try looking at how you installed it.

3. I couldn't get one bolt into the cat skid and hand to open that hole up some.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I called rock hard, and he didn't know why it wouldn't line up. He told me to elongate the hole a little bit for the transfer case fuel skid bracket. He also said that the skids would adjust off road and flex as the Jeep flexed so having the fuel tank skid a bit lower shouldn't be a big deal. I also asked him about the bolt for the oil change door and how long it was, and he is sending me the skid washer, for free. I guess it is what it is, and having these skids up as they are is better than not having them.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-06-2015, 11:20 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sorry to dig this back up, but I am having the exact same issue. I called Rock Hard and they said to loosen everything... done that and the bolt still goes straight into the fuel tank. Anyone ever resolve this issue? Do I need to use the center exhaust spacer?

2dr JK here.

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2013 JK

post #13 of 14 Old 12-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru

1st. From my experiences, RH4x4 will take GREAT care of you! A+ company.

2nd. To my knowledge and from looking at mine(oilpan skid only) You only use the shim if you DO NOT have the transfer case skid.

-RH4x4- please correct me if Im wrong.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 AM
Granite Guru

I have all 3 skids and did not use the shim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode