RIPP Long Tube Headers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

RIPP Long Tube Headers

As you all know the stock 3.8 V-6 in a JK is no powerhouse. Add some weight from aftermarket mods like skid plates, body armor, bumpers and a set of big meaty tires and this lack of power really brings the suck to a whole new level….. This last week we installed a set of RIPP Long Tube Headers into our JK and a custom tune loaded with a DiabloSport InTune i1000 to see what kind of power we could actually get out of 6 pissed off squirrels in a box.

Our JK is running 40x13.5R17 Toyo Open Country M/Ts and other than re-gearing to 5.38 in the axles the only other drivetrain mods have been a K&N drop in air filter and a DynoMax muffler until this point.

Since our JK has a long arm suspension we went with the kit specifically designed for long arm Jeeps. This kit does not come with cats and is listed as an “off-road only” kit. Some people out there have bought the non-long arm kit with cats and made modifications to use with their long arm setup, we decided to not go that route and will run an inline cat in the future if needed.

My first impression of RIPP’s headers when we pulled them out of the box was that these things are a work of stainless steel art. American Racing Headers manufactures these headers for RIPP out of t304 stainless steel using ⅜ thick flanges and merge collectors with scavenger spikes to keep the exhaust gasses moving and come with preinstalled 02 sensor bungs. The merge collectors bolt to the exhaust pipes via a ball connector and come together in “y” under the drivers seat. These are fully welded and a completely bolt on application that can be accomplished in a few hours in any garage with basic hand tools.

Installation was straightforward. First thing was removing the factory restrictive exhaust setup from the JK. Unbolt the factory exhaust clamp and slip off the cat back section of the exhaust, disconnect and label the o2 sensors for future use, Disconnect and label the spark plug wires, unbolt the down pipes from the manifolds and remove manifolds and heat shields from the heads. RIPP’s instructions say to support the transmission and remove the transmission crossmember to clear room to remove the factory cats and down pipes which are one piece, we chose to leave the crossmember in place and dissect the factory exhaust with our trusty sawzall.

Before installing the headers it is important to note that you will need to modify the factory heat shields to use with the new headers to protect components of the engine bay from excessive heat which may cause severe damage. We began installation of the RIPP headers with the drivers side header and placed it in from the top. Getting this header into place required some twisting and turning to get it past the the steering shaft and into its mounting location. We found that unbolting the coil-pack from its mounting bracket made this go much easier. Once in place, re-use the factory exhaust gasket between the head and header and bolt the header in place with using the factory hardware. The heat shield is mounted with the two outermost upper header bolts. The passenger side header is installed from underneath the Jeep and is installed the same as the drivers side reusing the factory gasket, modified heat shielding and bolts. The passenger side proved to be a little more difficult to instal for us as we have limited access to the head bolts because of our PSC Steering reservoir mounting location to the side of the battery box.

After the headers were installed we hooked up the exhaust piping ball clamps to the headers and the band clamp connecting the left and right piping loosely to allow for adjustment of the exhaust system. Once the piping has been adjusted to clear the frame, everything was bolted up snug and the cat back was reconnected. We updated and registered the DiabloSport InTune and the stock tune was pulled front the PCM and sent to RIPP so that they could write us a custom normal aspiration tune for our new headers. After a few short hours RIPP had our new tune back to us and we flashed it to the PCM. The DiabloSport InTune is ridiculously easy to use. Adding the custom tune file to the InTune was as simple as hooking it up to your computer and dragging and dropping the file to the InTune icon. To program the PCM, you simply hook the InTune to the ALDL select the custom tune in the easy to navigate menus and follow the onscreen directions to load the new tune.

Immediately during the first test drive I could feel a significant difference. The Jeep had considerably more torque at lower RPM. I noticed a difference from 2000 RPM up in the amount of torque that the 3.8 makes with the RIPP LT Headers compared to stock. Before the header instal the Jeep didn’t seem to make much useable torque below the 3500 RPM range, I can now feel torque coming on at about 2600 RPM. Torque at lower RPM significantly increases the daily drivability of the vehicle and makes it much more fun to drive. RIPP claims these headers make “35lbs/ft or torque 600 RPM sooner than stock and 25 rear-wheel HP gains with excellent response throughout the RPM range” and by the seat of the pants, it feels like thats exactly what you’re getting. We can now hold 75-80mph on the highway without continually downshifting to hold speed as we had previously. In my opinion, these headers make the most power that you can get out of a naturally aspirated engine and are the best bang for the buck that you’re gonna get.

The downside is that with the increase in power comes an increase in sound, particularly rasp. RIPP recommends the Flowmaster Hushpower resonator to cure this issue, which hadn’t come in when we installed the headers. As mentioned before, we had a DynoMax straight through muffler to begin with and there was (as expected) a very loud very sharp rasp coming from the exhaust during acceleration starting around 2800 RPM and lasting through to 5000+ RPM. The JK now sounded like a straight piped Honda and we quickly realized the Hushpower was a MUST. After installing the Hushpower, the exhaust tone is considerably better although there is still an exhaust rasp from 3200 to 4000 RPM at wide open throttle but it is not nearly as harsh as it was with the DynoMax.

Overall I am very pleased with this product and would definitely buy it again. If you’re in Grand Junction and would like to see this product in action, hit me up.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Nice write-up....I just installed the same system and is a great addition for added power/performance. I was surprised at how quiet the Jeep still runs as I expected the exhaust to be significantly louder....still very "toned down" given the added horsepower the Jeep is putting out now!!!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

I got a great deal on these headers and hushpower from Craigslist; brand new for $600. I just recently installed the headers and cats and I am very happy with the gains. I don't have the tune yet but I still noticed a nice increase in power. I hope to get the Diablo tuner soon.

I have the hushpower but I haven't installed it yet. I want to redo the rest of the exhaust and I'm trying to decide on a quiet muffler to install in front of the rear axle on my 2-door. I don't like the noise either, but for most of the time I'm able to keep the rpms under 3k.

I do get the check engine light after a week of driving but I just reset it for now. I would guess that the tuner will take care of that and I will also replace the front O2 sensors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2009 Sunburst Orange Rubicon, 2dr, 6spd.
PSC BFH front bumper, Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper, Bushwacker Flares
PSC Rocker Knockers ,PSC Evap Skid Plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

With the 2dr having such a short exhaust you may be better off running the Hushpower inline right after the headers and finding compact muffler to fit behind the axle in the stock location.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-11-2013, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob50lx View Post
I got a great deal on these headers and hushpower from Craigslist; brand new for $600. I just recently installed the headers and cats and I am very happy with the gains. I don't have the tune yet but I still noticed a nice increase in power. I hope to get the Diablo tuner soon.

I have the hushpower but I haven't installed it yet. I want to redo the rest of the exhaust and I'm trying to decide on a quiet muffler to install in front of the rear axle on my 2-door. I don't like the noise either, but for most of the time I'm able to keep the rpms under 3k.

I do get the check engine light after a week of driving but I just reset it for now. I would guess that the tuner will take care of that and I will also replace the front O2 sensors.

Yeah, you'll get the cel light without the tune. Don't worry about replacing the O2 sensors unless you need the cel gone to pass an inspection. Get the tune installed as soon as you can get the hardware and it will go away.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
Yeah, you'll get the cel light without the tune. Don't worry about replacing the O2 sensors unless you need the cel gone to pass an inspection. Get the tune installed as soon as you can get the hardware and it will go away.
I was thinking of changing the o2s just because my mileage has gone down lately, even before the headers were installed. They are pushing 60,000 miles. Luckily I Don't have to pass an inspection.

Does anyone know if it matters if I were to install a muffler before the hushpower resonator? I'm just trying to keep all options open when I do the exhaust. I have a spare Spintech muffler laying around that used to sound good on my old 4.0l but I don't know how it will sound on this 3.8 with these headers.

Is the tune from Ripp a cookie cutter tune for the headers or is it customized based on options; example, can they provide a tune that would take advantage of a Viper TB and CAI?

post #7 of 14 Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Not sure on that one with the tune. I do know that I had to send them a copy of the tune that was running in my JK before the headers were installed.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob50lx View Post
I was thinking of changing the o2s just because my mileage has gone down lately, even before the headers were installed. They are pushing 60,000 miles. Luckily I Don't have to pass an inspection.

Does anyone know if it matters if I were to install a muffler before the hushpower resonator? I'm just trying to keep all options open when I do the exhaust. I have a spare Spintech muffler laying around that used to sound good on my old 4.0l but I don't know how it will sound on this 3.8 with these headers.

Is the tune from Ripp a cookie cutter tune for the headers or is it customized based on options; example, can they provide a tune that would take advantage of a Viper TB and CAI?

Full disclosure, i was advised to ditch the Viper TB that i was running prior to installing the headers because they can't compensate for it like a local shop can.

however,, if you have a local speed shop, they might be able to tweak the RIPP tune for it.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #9 of 14 Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Great write-up. Do you have any install shots? How big of a PITA was the passenger side? A guy in town has the headers and RIPP and says they rasp. I don't think he has the long arm version.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru

I did a little more work on my headers/exhaust today. I was able to tuck up the crossover pipe for better clearance. I also finally installed the Hushpower resonator. I'm still running the factory muffler until I can move evaporative canister. The exhaust sounds so much better now; I don't have the raspy sound anymore at 3k and above.

Once I get some welding gas for stainless steel, I will probably tweak the exhaust some more. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow of what I have done so far.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM

U.S. Army
post #12 of 14 Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM

U.S. Army
post #13 of 14 Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

I will add a couple pictures.

I did not trim the heat shields; but, I only have a good picture of the driver's-side manifold. I also trimmed about 1.5" off the crossover pipe where the band clamp is located; this raised the crossover pipe for me. I have a 2 door so the installation of the Hushpower resonator was a little more difficult to locate. I plan to weld in a v-band clamp where I have the butt joint clamp ( haha, he said butt joint) when I get the proper stainless welding gas. I can see that installing the Hushpower would be a lot easier on the 4 doors.

Driver's side heat shield

Modified crossover pipe

Hushpower Resonator

post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Great write-up. Do you have any install shots? How big of a PITA was the passenger side? A guy in town has the headers and RIPP and says they rasp. I don't think he has the long arm version.
Passenger side wasn't that bad to install. Just took a long 10mm wrench and patience. As for rasp, it was horrible to begin with. I found that a Magnaflow 14 inch Magnapack and a Flowmaster Hushpower 2 took care of it and left it a nice throaty note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode