MBRP Roof Rack - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

MBRP Roof Rack

Well the wife was on vacation in the Unlimited Rubicon and we hadn't had a chance to buy a roof rack yet. Now I thought the purpose of having a roof rack was to carry objects that were to large to fit inside the vehicle. All of the Competing Unlimited 4 Door Roof Racks are full length. So after searching the Internet and seeing that the one MBRP made higher quality and looked better than all of the others, I ordered one up for her, so that she could bring home some items that she had purchased while on the trip cross country. Imagine my surprise when they sent me a picture of a basket that only runs about half way up the roof. So figuring that they must have sent me one for just a 2 Door, I called. I was informed that the short one is the only one they offer. The only full length one ever made was for the owner and they are not willing to make a full length one. Fine I'll make my own, but I am surprised that I am the only one that would want a full length roof rack so that you can actually carry 8' objects on your roof, which she assured me I was. Is that so? And is it just me or does it look retarded to have a half rack on an Unlimited? I've never seen a 110 Defender or an Unlimited with a half rack. Till now.

What I expected and actually need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Granite Guru

I think the half rack on a 4 door looks silly myself.

Not sure exactly what you are asking but there are plenty of racks out there that are full size with the cargo basket.

http://www.wildernessracks.com/roof-...er-4-door.html

I have the Garvin adventure rack because i did not want the basket and i have no issues holding 12' kayaks up there.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
I think the half rack on a 4 door looks silly myself.

Not sure exactly what you are asking but there are plenty of racks out there that are full size with the cargo basket.

http://www.wildernessracks.com/roof-...er-4-door.html

I have the Garvin adventure rack because i did not want the basket and i have no issues holding 12' kayaks up there.
No that's my point as well. I have no idea why to even offer a rack that only uses half the space. Silly exactly. Now that I spent all this money I have to build my own on top of the 60% over the price of those just like the one you posted.

Garvin was the other main one I was considering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

Are those MBRP baskets bolted together? The full length sure looks like two half-cab baskets bolted together.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
Are those MBRP baskets bolted together? The full length sure looks like two half-cab baskets bolted together.
No. I hoped that as well. Those are the brackets that space the bars apart.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofdiesel View Post
No that's my point as well. I have no idea why to even offer a rack that only uses half the space. Silly exactly. Now that I spent all this money I have to build my own on top of the 60% over the price of those just like the one you posted.

Garvin was the other main one I was considering.
Sounds like you're intending to modify the MBRP rack. Why not just send it back and buy or build the one that suits your purpose?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Sounds like you're intending to modify the MBRP rack. Why not just send it back and buy or build the one that suits your purpose?
That's the plan. I'll use the base to build my own. Not going to waste the money sending it all the way back. As is I have to pay to ship the bumpers and things we intended to bring back on the rack. My buddies will probably use the little basket for BBQ hogs or something. lol I'll make a kick ass basket, I just need to find the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode