Airing down with low profile valve stems - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JCKnauer22
Question Airing down with low profile valve stems

i just ordered some black rock D-window steelies and while i was on Qtec's site i decided to grab a set of gorilla's low profile valve stems. they weren't very expensive and i figured it was a smart idea since i've destroyed valve stems before. my only problem i foresee is airing down in a timely manner with this setup. i have the currie EZ tire deflator and love it, but it can't be used with this. the low pro stems have the valve core sitting down inside of an internally threaded recess. the currie deflator, like many other brands and styles of deflators, is designed to screw onto the external threads of a typical stem. the only real solution i see is just unscrewing the core with a valve core tool. i have done this in the past, but i'm not a big fan due to the fact that:
1) you have no way of monitoring the pressure as you go
2) the core is not captured in any way and is likely to fly off into the dirt/rocks/mud/wherever if you're not careful
3) re-inserting the core with air rushing out can be tricky at times, again leaving you with the possibility of launching the core into oblivion while your tire spews air

anybody have any experience with this? here is a pic and the link for the product page to help you understand what i'm talking about here

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92040_06.htm
Attached Images

I met a wild-eyed spinster on the back of a bus
She asked if there was any part of her I'd like to touch
When I told her "Yer nuts!" she got mad at me
And lectured on female anatomy...

Last edited by JCKnauer22; 11-13-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Fix pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You could install the Powertank monster valves but they are pricey. http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/15

Or try these http://www.powertank.com/products/sf.../productID/445

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 11-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm not surprised with the difficulties, these don't really seem like they're for the off-road crowd. Removing the valve core is about your only reasonable solution, seems like a bad choice for the application.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

FWIW I have the same wheels. Run regular valve stems, wheel at least once a month, moderately hard, and have not had a valve stem impact that actually damaged the stem in the last year and a half.

37 X 12.5 MTR's on 17 X 8 black rocks.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #5 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Knocking off valve stems is a pretty common problem where I wheel.

Your best bet is just to use standard rubber stems and learn how to jam them in with a screwdriver for quick trail repairs.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah, i'm probably just gunna go with the regular old rubber ones. that's what i get for being drunk while spending money oh well, at least they weren't expensive

post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKnauer22 View Post
yeah, i'm probably just gunna go with the regular old rubber ones. that's what i get for being drunk while spending money oh well, at least they weren't expensive
yep and at least I saw this and alot of my questions about this product has been answered.... thank YOU!

sorry you were kinda of a guinea pig! lol

by the way I love my deflator too. ARB = Currie

anyone want to by my Shittybuilt I mean Smittybilt tire deflators? I hate them.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

I had wheels with low profile valve stems like that once. They came with an adapter that you would screw into the low profile valve stem so that you could inflate/deflate the tires. Its called the "filler tube"
post #9 of 10 Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Rock God

look at the tr-412 valve stems, they are the shortest rubber stems ive found
post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdun View Post
I had wheels with low profile valve stems like that once. They came with an adapter that you would screw into the low profile valve stem so that you could inflate/deflate the tires. Its called the "filler tube"
yeah, but there are no threads on the one end of the filler tube. it just screws in to the internal threads on the valve stem and has a pushrod that depresses the valve core when it is pushed from the other end. there is no way to remove/replace the valve core with the filler tube in place and there are no threads for my deflator to screw on to.

and as for the tr-412's, i think i'm just gunna go with the shortest stems they have at the shop when they mount and balance my tires. if they're longer than the 412's, oh well. i'm really not THAT concerned about the stems. i just thought the low pro stems were a good idea until i had them in my hand to look at them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode