What backspacing with new 37's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What backspacing with new 37's?

Just got a new set of tires. 37 x 13.50 x 17 Toyo MT's. I like the Blackrock 997's but they have 4.5" of back spacing. From what I have found I'd be better off with less, closer to 3.5. What is the recommended backspacing for a tire this size? Also if it should be less than 4.5", who makes some nice black steelies that might be a good alternative for the 997's? Thanks

Banned from that "other" site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let's go find some rocks! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have that exact set up. They rubbed slightly on my stock front lower control arms and frame at absolute full lock only. When I had the Rock Krawler control arms they rubbed quite a bit more. I now have metal cloak arms that are bent inward for tire clearance and the only way I know they rub when wheeling only is the scuffed paint.

I'm not a fan of the wide stance look on the Jeep so I'm glad this setup works for me.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got me looking at your thread on the MC suspension.....damn it's a lot of reading lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainboy1 View Post
Got me looking at your thread on the MC suspension.....damn it's a lot of reading lol.
Good luck getting though that thread lol

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #5 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah I am giving up on it tonight, will continue on that one in the a.m. lol

post #6 of 19 Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What gears are you running.

See Garage for Mods
post #7 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Right now 4.10's, thinking I will go to 5.13's over the winter. Kinda building stuff up right now, want to be running the 37's by spring. I was leaning to 4.88's but think 5.13's would better better as they will be good when I decide to do 40's down the road. =)

post #8 of 19 Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainboy1 View Post
Right now 4.10's, thinking I will go to 5.13's over the winter. Kinda building stuff up right now, want to be running the 37's by spring. I was leaning to 4.88's but think 5.13's would better better as they will be good when I decide to do 40's down the road. =)
PM sent

See Garage for Mods
post #9 of 19 Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

not sure if your original question was answered, so here is my experience.
I have an 08 2dr, with TF 6" long arm lift.

Ran 37x12.5x17 on rims with 4.5 BS, no issues.
Went to 14.5 wide tires, and had to add 1.5" spacers and still have very minor rubbing.

So IMHO to run 13.5 you would want to have 3.5 BS or less.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Ran 37x12.5x17 on rims with 4.5 BS, no issues.
Went to 14.5 wide tires, and had to add 1.5" spacers and still have very minor rubbing.
So IMHO to run 13.5 you would want to have 3.5 BS or less.
What wheel width? 4.5" Bs on 8" wide wheel vs. 4.5" Bs on 10" wide wheel makes a huge difference on inner tire wall clearance on a give tire size!
furthermore Toyo's are generally tires that run large for the spec'd size vs. some other brands/types.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #11 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

This happened while doing some hard wheeling, tire was pushed into the tied up sway bar. Only had some minor rub on the frame while on the road at full lock with a 5.5" lift 4.5" bs on the wheels and the tires are 37x12.5r17

If you don't run trails you should be fine with 4.5" bs if you can handle a little rub or limit your steering. If you run trails I would want to be 3"-3.5" bs

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 12-29-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Rock God

I rub bad at 4.5 and never rubbed at 3.75.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Rock God

since offset is minimally influenced by wheel width in regards to tire wall interference here the following recommendations for 37" tires:
37X12.5" tire --> ~-19mm offset ( 8"wheel 3.75"BS, 9"Wheel 4.25"BS,....)
37X13.5" tire --> ~-32mm offset
37X14.5" tire --> ~-44mm offset

2010 JKU Sahara
post #14 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Phrog above is actually running exactly what I am wanting to run. He says he's happy with how everything is set up so I am going to try it and see how it goes. The wheels are 17 x 9 Black Rocks with 4.5" of back spacing. I already have the wheels, just switching tires so it's not like I lost much if it doesn't work out.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yup I run 37x13.5x17 Toyos with 17x9 Black Rock 997 wheels with Metal Cloak arms that are bent for tire clearance. The only way I know that they rub slightly is the missing paint on the frame and arms. When I had the factory arms they rubbed more mostly when full lock in reverse. When I was running RK arms they rubbed a lot and I used washers on the steering stops.

I wheel my JK hard with this set up and have zero clearance issues while wheeling.

See Garage for Mods
post #16 of 19 Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
What wheel width? 4.5" Bs on 8" wide wheel vs. 4.5" Bs on 10" wide wheel makes a huge difference on inner tire wall clearance on a give tire size!
furthermore Toyo's are generally tires that run large for the spec'd size vs. some other brands/types.
Sorry bout that. Forgot to mention that dimension, but my rims are 17x9 (with 4.5 bs) And originally ran the BFG KM2 (37x12.5) Now running the Goodyear MTR Kevlars (42x14.5)

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #17 of 19 Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Back space is back space it is measured from wms. Off set would would change depending on wheel width.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #18 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Yup I run 37x13.5x17 Toyos with 17x9 Black Rock 997 wheels with Metal Cloak arms that are bent for tire clearance. The only way I know that they rub slightly is the missing paint on the frame and arms. When I had the factory arms they rubbed more mostly when full lock in reverse. When I was running RK arms they rubbed a lot and I used washers on the steering stops.

I wheel my JK hard with this set up and have zero clearance issues while wheeling.
You can set turn stops right?
post #19 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Back space is back space it is measured from wms. Off set would would change depending on wheel width.
yep Backspace is Backspace and is the measure of the inner wheel flange to the WMS
but also Offset is Offset and is the measure of the wheel center in relation to the WMS.

Offset only changes with wheel width if you look at it from the same backspacing point of view. Backspacing also changes if you look at it from the same offset point off view

However a tire is centered on the wheel thus tire wall positions to WMS would not change with same offset on different wheel width but it would with same backspacing on different wheel width.

2010 JKU Sahara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode