Why don't people rotate in their spare tire? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Why don't people rotate in their spare tire?

It seems like you would get 1/5 more life, plus if you actually get a flat, the tires would all still be the same size.

Is it for looks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

They do.

Where are you getting your facts?

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Rock God

I do.

Spare to the right rear.

Right rear to the right front

Right front to the left rear

Left rear to the left front

Left front back to the spare tire holder.

POG MO THOIN

Last edited by PKDailey4; 10-03-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

I always bring my spare tire into the rotation. I rotate my tires at every oil change.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #5 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

I do. When I'm done with this set, I expect to buy the same 37s again..so I'll take my "best" worn 37 and just buy four new ones next time.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
post #6 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Same here since day one. Wear 'em all, replace 'em all. The old rearward cross. We have changed size every time so it just makes sense for us to not have a useless dry rotted spare hanging off the back.

Funny this same thread has been repeated in one form or another since I started Jeep forums in mid '07. I could tell you every reason the don'ts don't but I'll refrain and let them tell you.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

I would if I could keep the same 5 tires for more then a year. Between going larger and cutting tires I don't seem to have the chance.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Historically, I haven't. I'm just lazy.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #9 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Rock God

I do now but when I need tires again I probably wont as long as I stick with a similar size.
post #10 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I do as well. Getting ready to do the first rotation on the new 37" MT/R's before my wheeling trip in mid October.

I do it for all the reasons stated above, plus, if I ever get a flat, at least I know that at one point in the not too distant past, my spare was working correctly.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #11 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Historically, I haven't. I'm just lazy.
It actually makes it easier when you rotate with a spare if you are doing it yourself. You only have one corner up on a jack at a time.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #12 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJerk View Post
It seems like you would get 1/5 more life, plus if you actually get a flat, the tires would all still be the same size.

Is it for looks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
...... I could tell you every reason the don'ts don't but I'll refrain and let them tell you.

I actually thought most owners do a five tire rotation. The only excepts are the guys not running a spare and the soccer moms that do not know what a lug nut is.

The 20% more lifespan and the knowledge I will usually go with a different tire and/or size the next time makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #13 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
It actually makes it easier when you rotate with a spare if you are doing it yourself. You only have one corner up on a jack at a time.
Don't try to confuse Chuck, too much info, too quickly!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Don't try to confuse Chuck, too much info, too quickly!
Sound logic > me

My logic in the beginning was I knew I'd go through 2 sets of tires before jumping from 35s to 37s. If I kept the spare out of the rotation, I'd only have to buy 3 tires when the time came to get a new set.

So, 8 tires later, I'm at 100K miles and I'm at that point to buy my 3rd set of tires....stay with 35s or jump to 37s? hmmmm....

If I do get 37s, I'll probably start rotating the spare into the mix, because I just don't see myself going bigger than 37s....(famous last words).

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #15 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't. But that's only because when I bought the Jeep, it already had 18k miles on it and the spare had never touched the ground. Now I've got like 36k on it. I'll be getting new (i.e. bigger) tires before too long and plan on starting a 5 tire rotation.

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #16 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I saw an ad in the For Sale section today and it was one too many times I saw "spare never touched the ground". Like that was a good thing. Now you have one odd wheel and tire that you have to deal with if you want to get new ones.

So I thought I'd bring it up to see what people thought, and to let everyone know that it's a good idea to rotate in that spare ;)

I have a brand new old style MTR on the back of my rig, and it makes me think about having to get new tires every time I see it. My current FOUR are getting worn down pretty well. Thanks previous owner!
post #17 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Wheeler

I'm lazy, it gets rotated in every so often but that's about it. I'm sure I'll jump up to 37s before my 35s are worn down anyways.
post #18 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

This picture illustrates why I don't rotate my spare..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #19 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

Bah. Lift with your legs.
post #20 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Bah. Lift with your legs.
Sorry, made me think of Family Guy. "Bend with your back, you gotta take your legs completely out of the equation. Then lift with your back and groin in a jerking, twisting motion."
post #21 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

I used to rotate all 5 till I found one of my rear tires was out of round. When I got it up front I got a wobble between 45 and 55 so I threw that one up on the spare tire bracket and have been doing a 4 tire rotation since. If I get a flat I just have to make sure the spare goes on the back on the Jeep.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #22 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

Damm how you gonna carry a kid, diaper bag, bottle bag, stroller, car seat and wifes purse if you can't even get that what 33" tire off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #23 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Granite Guru

It's sad to see a jeep that has to get help from a Toyota. Lol

Sent from my imagination.

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
post #24 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to use this for the 37" but I found it easier to to use my feet to lift the tires up. But it can only be a couple of inches off the ground for the ole foot wedge.
Attached Images

post #25 of 49 Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I guess my logic is that if I have a blow out then I buy one new tire, put that one and the unused spare on one end, then place one of the older tires on the spare carrier.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode