AEV Pintler beadlocks...info needed. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AEV Pintler beadlocks...info needed.

Is anyone running the AEV Pintler beadlocks? If you are, can you post up your experiance with them ? Looking for feedback from those who actually have them, not "well my brothers uncles cousins girlfriend, who is a stripper, has them and she said..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Granite Guru

I've been running them for about a year now and love them. They are the lightest bead lock wheel I could find. I am running 35s with stock Rubicon 4.10 gears so I wanted the lightest tire and wheel combo I could find. I don't do a lot of rock crawling here in the southeast but for the type of wheeling I do they seem plenty strong enough. Word of warning; they require a thin wall socket or you will scare up the wheels putting the lugnuts on.

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info, what tires are you using and did you get them balanced or are they smooth enough without being balanced ? Throw up a pic if you don't mind please...thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Wheeler

I ran them for about a year and loved them. Ran them with 37" BFG KM2's with Dyna beads for balance. Never had a problem.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2000xj; 10-01-2012 at 08:32 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger99 View Post
Thanks for the info, what tires are you using and did you get them balanced or are they smooth enough without being balanced ? Throw up a pic if you don't mind please...thanks.
I've run them with 35" Baja Claws, 35" MTRs and 35" KM2s. All of them had to be balanced

Stone White
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I installed them on my buddies Jeep we wheeled all over Arizona and Utah with no issues at all.

Name:  IMG00995-20100402-1344.jpg
Views: 7306
Size:  58.4 KB

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #7 of 11 Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Other than the obvious weight difference in the above photo... Thanks for the feedback gents...looks like I will be going with these beadlocks...now if I can only get the damn AEV tech rep on the phone...hey AEV...you listening??? put down the sammich and pick up the damn phone
post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Pulled the trigger and ordered the AEV beadlocks. A few observations about the rims.

1. they are very light, approximately 31 lbs.
2. the packaging AEV uses to ship their wheels sucks....my boxes looked so bad that the Fed-Ex guy hung out until I opened the boxes to check the wheels for damage.
3. It would have been nice to know that the wheels came without valve stems and instead of some nice grade 8 bolts, they use some cheesy allen head bolts. These were replaced with grade 8 bolts and washers.
4. I had to use compressed air to clean out all of the threaded portions for the lock ring bolts...why you ask, because the rims were covered with aluminum metal shavings because the wheels were never cleaned up prior to packing for shipment. Almost every bolt hole had debris in it.

Overall, I like the rims and they mounted up just fine to the 37" Goodyear MTR's. I would say this though, AEV needs to learn to accept constructive criticism when a customer calls them and expresses their concerns in a professional manner... My dealings with AEV are pretty much over unless it is a product defect that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by rugger99; 05-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger99 View Post
Pulled the trigger and ordered the AEV beadlocks. A few observations about the rims.

1. they are very light, approximately 31 lbs.
2. the packaging AEV uses to ship their wheels sucks....my boxes looked so bad that the Fed-Ex guy hung out until I opened the boxes to check the wheels for damage.
3. It would have been nice to know that the wheels came without valve stems and instead of some nice grade 8 bolts, they use some cheesy allen head bolts. These were replaced with grade 8 bolts and washers.
4. I had to use compressed air to clean out all of the threaded portions for the lock ring bolts...why you ask, because the rims were covered with aluminum metal shavings because the wheels were never cleaned up prior to packing for shipment. Almost every bolt hole had debris in it.

Overall, I like the rims and they mounted up just fine to the 37" Goodyear MTR's. I would say this though, AEV needs to learn to accept constructive criticism when a customer calls them and expresses their concerns in a professional manner... My dealings with AEV are pretty much over unless it is a product defect that needs to be addressed.
AEV switched to the Allen head bolts a year or two ago because they are easier to install and remove due to the angle of the lock ring when torqued down. pretty sure they are supposed to yield a more even torque too.

Don't see the need the grade 8 bolts for 15 ft lbs of torque but to each his own I guess.

As far as the debris goes, I ran a bottom tap through every threaded hole in mine before putting them together and would do so no matter whose wheels they were or if I found debris or not. Guess it's just an OCD thing but I would do it for ANY wheel I bought. That said; not that it's a big deal either way; I would expect new wheels not to be filled with debris. I doubt I would call and complain about it though.

Stone White
post #10 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Rock God

I've had these wheels on my JK for 3 years. I've run them with 35's, 37's, 40's, and my current 39's. I have absolutely no complaints about them. I did change out the bolts to stainless allen's for easier install. The original bolts were a PIA to put in because of the recess milled into the ring.

I am currently selling them but only because I need a wider wheel for my current tires. I wish they would make these in a 9" or 9.5" width with a little less backspacing too.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #11 of 11 Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Does anyone know what the offset for the AEV pintler beadlocks is? I'm trying to get another set of wheels to fit on my teraflex long arm kit and my Pintler wheels fit perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode