Suggestions needed for offroad worthy AT or street worthy MT - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Suggestions needed for offroad worthy AT or street worthy MT

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of going from 37" MTRs down to a 35" tire. My Jeep is a daily driver, and I need it to take up a little less time with maintenance and repairs. I'm also looking to increase the driveability a bit so my wife will be comfortable driving it if she needs to. So I'm looking for a relatively light tire that will do well on the road, but also provide decent traction while wheeling. I'm thinking an agressive AT or a less aggressive MT with siping.

Any suggestions?

Micah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Rock God

Duratracs. If the 2-ply sidewall isnt an issue for your wheeling.
I've had mine for 30K and they do just what you described. Not sure about a true 35", I think it's closer to a 34"

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cool. Do they balance up well? Part of the problem with my MTRs is that they are impossible to balance, and I think vibrations have contributed to some "quirks" in the driveline.

Micah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love my Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. I ran 37s on my 2010 JKU and have 33s on my current 2012 JK. Excellent on road and off road. Great in the rain and snow, IMO. Tend to be lighter that other MTs. Never had a balancing issue.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
Cool. Do they balance up well? Part of the problem with my MTRs is that they are impossible to balance, and I think vibrations have contributed to some "quirks" in the driveline.

Micah
Balance great. Very quiet initially, have developed a little hum with time but nothing like a full MT

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I love my Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. I ran 37s on my 2010 JKU and have 33s on my current 2012 JK. Excellent on road and off road. Great in the rain and snow, IMO. Tend to be lighter that other MTs. Never had a balancing issue.
I think I may have had a problem with my 37s being one of the early batches. They are a fantastic tire off road, and they're decent on the road, but not being able to balance them properly is big issue. I'm thinking I'll stay away from asymmetric treads now too...
post #7 of 16 Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

F' Goodyear.

Go with Falken Wildpeak (or Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS version). You won't be disappointed. If they put it out in a 40" tire and I still have my JK when the Pitbulls wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to run them on my JK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
F' Goodyear.

Go with Falken Wildpeak (or Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS version). You won't be disappointed. If they put it out in a 40" tire and I still have my JK when the Pitbulls wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to run them on my JK.
I've looked at the Falkens before, and they seem pretty good, though I wasn't sure they were as aggressive as I was looking for. The mud and clay down here is pretty thick and tends to clog treads very easily. Have you had problems with the Goodyears?
post #9 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Love my duratracs. For an AT, they work great on and off road.

EX-Jersey
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com
post #10 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbingus View Post
I've looked at the Falkens before, and they seem pretty good, though I wasn't sure they were as aggressive as I was looking for. The mud and clay down here is pretty thick and tends to clog treads very easily. Have you had problems with the Goodyears?
Lack of availability. The decided they didn't want to continue making the Kevlars in reliable numbers. Who's to say they won't do the same with their other tires? I'll buy anything other than GY from now on.

Not sure how the Falkens would do with clay type mud. I'd rather have a catheter inserted than wheel in mud nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #11 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Rock God

Well there not light...but my Hancook Dynapro MTs are way way quieter and smoother than my GYMTRKs were.........even quiter than my wifes BFG longtrails believe it or not......
post #12 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

My duratracks are great.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
post #13 of 16 Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Granite Guru

look at the khumo kl71 they are great mt,balance easy and are a good quality tire.Fairly quiet as well.Their only negative point is light snow over ice,i sipped mine and it did improve quite lots but still a little bit shaky, they are unidirectional as well .Did not buy them again because of the kind of winter we got here.

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 09-17-2012 at 10:37 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Granite Guru

I've been real happy with the Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine but I will be replacing them with something more agressive when they wear out.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

KM2's... the wife spent 45k mostly road miles on the last set 265/70R17. I rotated myself and we never had to have them rebalanced. Very happy, so much that when they wore out she insisted on nothing other than KM2 again, now in a 285/75R16.

When we have gone offroad they were great as well obviously.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Granite Guru

My only complaint about my TreadWright Guard Dog's is that they're a little bit noisier than I expected. I ordered mine with their Kedge Grip (crushed glass & walnut shells) to increase its already-good traction in snow country. They balanced awesome, they're as smooth as an all-terrain but with much friendlier road manners than a mud-terrain, and they're cheap cheap cheap! I haven't come across another tire that has more traction than these in any terrain. Seriously. Give them some consideration.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode