Why Duratrac's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Why Duratrac's

I see the duratrac is the most popular tire on the forums. I have never had duratrac tires but I have had other Goodyear tires and didn't have very good luck with them.
I just want to know why everyone seems to love duratracs so much. I have always used Bf Goodrich tires. So you guys teach me why?
All my pickups have always had Bf Goodrich all terrain T/A ko on them.
I want to be schooled on Duratrac. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-10-2012, 03:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

Best tire for snow and Ice on the street...but sidewalls IMO to soft for offroad.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Run BFG!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I see the duratrac is the most popular tire on the forums. I have never had duratrac tires but I have had other Goodyear tires and didn't have very good luck with them.
I just want to know why everyone seems to love duratracs so much. I have always used Bf Goodrich tires. So you guys teach me why?
All my pickups have always had Bf Goodrich all terrain T/A ko on them.
I want to be schooled on Duratrac. Thanks
There was a big bad sheep out there and all the other sheep wanted to follow...thats all I can come up with. I ran the Dura for about 3k and had to take them off. just as bad as mickey thompson tires when it comes to balancing and lateral run-out.

Soft tire which is good sometimes. Quiet which is good sometimes. Lighter tire which is always good.

Id stick with my Nittos or go with a Toyo from now on.

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Rock God

I have Duratracs and I'm in Ohio. They are great in the snow, are quite for daily driving and do pretty good in the rain. I posted a short story about a recent wheeling trip https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81521

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler • Synergy • JKS • LoD • Goodyear
post #6 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

I seriously considered them; light weight, rated winter tire with snowflake for local insurance/highway rules and reasonably good off road traction. Still might put some on this winter.
The downside is they are weaker sidewall, lots of people report they can't balance 'em and price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #7 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
I have Duratracs and I'm in Ohio. They are great in the snow, are quite for daily driving and do pretty good in the rain. I posted a short story about a recent wheeling trip https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81521
Thanks but it's hard for me to take any advice from some one in Ohio. You people voted over and over for John Bonher the town idiot and then there's the Ohio State thing being from Michigan it's asking a lot. Just kidding thanks.
GO Blue/GO Green
post #8 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You know what... Fuck Goodyear. I won't buy anything from them again and if I ever buy a new vehicle that has GYs on it, I'll have the dealer swap them off before I buy. I can't support a company that can't get their shit together and understand supply and demand. If there's demand out there for a tire (Kevlars), then you'd better supply them or at least completely cut production and announce that it's not going to be made anymore. What the hell are you gonna do if you have a set and destroy one and GY decides they don't wanna make them anymore? Then you'll be stuck running a non-matching spare and looking like a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh, sorry... Use Falken Wildpeaks (Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #10 of 17 Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

I'll throw my $.02 it there. People like them for snow and ice and they look aggressive for an at. However, they are crap off road and in hot weather. Very soft tread that wore very quick in Arizona, and sidewalks were very weak as well. I took them off in about a month and they were already showing visible signs of wear. Mtr/k on the other hand are badass. As for an at though, I would stick with bfg
post #11 of 17 Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Oh, sorry... Use Falken Wildpeaks (Discount Tire Direct's Rocky Mountain ATS).
x2. I love my Falkens.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #12 of 17 Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Rock God

I love my Duratracs, have had them since march of 2011 (aprx 20K miles) They balance fine and are quiet on-road. I run them off-road about once a month, and have zero issues with the sidewalls. Given most of our trails are dirt/mud with very little chance of encountering rocks. They have developed a little more road noise as they've worn down, but traction on and off road, wet, dry, muddy whatever has always been great. I recommend these tires, and like them much more than the Deulers and Deuler Revos I have had previously.
For an A/T I think they are hard to beat. If you are more of a rock guy, play it safer and get the Wildpeaks. (from what I've read).

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Wheeler

I've run the duratracs for about 20k miles and love them. My km2s before were horrible in comparison. I air down to about 15 psi and roll over everything including very slick muddy terrain with no issues. Main reason I bought them was a scare I had in my old Durango with a different tire in icy conditions. We drive to Colorado every winter and these tires are worth it. Just my ::2cents::
post #14 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Granite Guru

I really love my Duratracs. I have them in 33x12.50-15 and they ride smooth all the way to 75 MPH which exceeds all the speed limits in my state. So I'm happy. However, it did take 6-9 ounces of weight per tire to get them this way. DTD mounted and balanced them for me, and when they showed up I noticed they've got tape weights around half the inner circumference of each wheel. I was like DAYUM. But...they do ride fine. And they are super quiet.

Only issues I've got is that so far the rain traction is just average. And they slip in wet grassy conditions which really surprised me. And, my 8" wheels are too narrow because the outer lugs do not touch the road with 28 psi in the tires. I'm rolling on the center tread only. Otherwise I like these tires a lot so far.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #15 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Wheeler

I had them and they are crap for offroading. The tread is too soft and will chunk. Had to get all 4 tires replaced after coming back from a day of wheeling. Replaced with BFG KM2's and have had no problems with those.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Rock God

I'm in Michigan and I love my Duratracs. Great DD tire and have done great on the 3-4 offroad trips I've been on this summer.

Sidewalls are too thin for ya? Get the hazard warranty that you should be buying anyways.

My only gripe is they don't make them bigger. They need a 37" equivalent IMHO!!
post #17 of 17 Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Rock God

I have had 2 sets of the Duratrack's in NY. 31x10.5-15 and 33x12.5-15. Snow and Ice traction is amazing. As they wear the wet weather traction has decreased but since it was so stellar in the beginning I cant really say that it is in any way bad... better than most. Quiet on road, mine didn't take much weight to balance at all. They have taken a long time to wear and the price is great so I will be buying them again. I havn't had as much experience with them off road as I have had with my MTR's but from what I have used them in (wet sloppy mud, water crossings, loose dirt/rock, some rock, log piles) they worked amazing, though the sidewall strength does concern me. In sticky mud however I can imagine that the tread block would fill up and not clean out too well but I cant say from experience. A lot of people around me use them on the beach and say they are good in the sand too. If you only occasionally take them off road and don't encounter any sharp rocks or even sharp tree branches I would definitely recommend them.
I like them much better than the BFG A/T and the General A/T that I have owned.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode