Off road tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Off road tires

Had stock 2008 Sahara Unlm, went Jeeping in Moab & Ouray, got bit by the bug!
Now have 2011 Rubi. Putting AEV 3.5 lift on. Any recomendations for tires?
Only get to spend about two weeks each year in Moab or Ouray. Tow the unit behind a Motorhome. Rest of the year spent in W Michigan (don't drive it the salt).
Concerned about excessive road noise.

About to purchase the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar for sidewall toughness, but saw a post about Toyo's.

Any advice from the more experineced is appreciated!

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Owner: TWF

I am going to stay out of the tire suggestion part as my thougths would be onesided. However. I couldn't hold back from saying. Could Ouray be any more beautiful? I travel the US and of all the places I have ever been Ouray holds a special place in my heart.

edit:
OK.... I can't stay out of the tire part

I buy everything in life looking at it as if the world turned upside down tomorrow could I sell it for close to what I paid for it. MTR's are a great tire, more people know/want them and they will bring more money on the used end when you get down to 30% rubber left and you want to sell them. Guys will still buy them and you will see your return to be much higher on that tire. Plus it's proven and used by people who can pick whatever tire they want without cost being a part of it. Kevlar MTR's are a GREAT tire. I drove a built TJ a few mo back that had 40" Kevlar MTR's on it. It was a full width 1 ton jeep and the tires did not wrap out and I had the top and doors off it on my test drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Amen on Ouray!
Afraid I'm hooked for life.

Leadville is a close 2nd for this type of trailing.

Love Moab too, but it's kind of like Apples and Oranges........

Leaving Michigan on Sept 12th for at least 3 weeks split between the two.

jcgtc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have no experience with Toyos, but I've had Kevlars on my last two Jeeps ...couldn't be happier.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
TrailDuty.com

Hard to beat the MT/R Kevlar, very tough tire, excellent traction, with good on-road manners.

I've ran Toyo MTs in the past and they are also a great tire both on and off-road. The flexy sidewalls of the MT/R are definitely superior off-road though.

One thing often over looked is tire weight. Get those things spinning and suddenly finding traction, and the more they weigh the more force is going to get slammed into your drive line.

Here's the weights of a couple of popular sizes of both:

Toyo Open Country MT
35X12.50R17
82.7 lbs

37X13.50R17
92.6 lbs

Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
35X12.5R17
64 lbs

37X12.5R17
74 lbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode