Backspacing and steering - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Backspacing and steering

Hi All! New Jeep owner and new to the forum. I know this is asked on a few different forums, but after searching through all the sites I figured I'd just ask my question.

I am looking at putting 33s on my JK (285/70r17s to be exact). I've learned that I would need to either get wheel spacers or rims with a lower backspacing in order to have the 33s not rub.

My question is what affect a lower backspace (pushing the wheels wider) would have? Is this going to stress the steering/suspension system? I have heard horror stories of steering wobble and want to make sure that by changing the backspace, I am not going to do anything that could cause problems. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

I asked this question in another forum yesterday and the replies I got made it sound like 285/70 could be run with NO wheel spacers as long as you didn't twist the Jeep up on the trail too bad.

But yeah, if you use less backspacing or spacers you're putting more leverage on the axle shafts, lug studs, ball joints, etc. There are videos floating around of bent axle shafts on JKO.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

With a 285/70/17 and stock wheels you can definitely run them without any wheel spacers. It WILL rub on the front lower control arms a little bit when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the stops and turn.

My wife ran around on 285/70 KM2s on her JKU for 45K miles without any complaints and she complains about everything. LOL

Running a wheel with less back spacing won't hurt your Jeep with a smallish tire like a 285/70/17. I wouldn't say the same about running 3.5" of back spacing with bead locks and 37s or 40s. That will definitely take it's toll on the front end.

Don't buy into the internet scare tactics, mod that Jeep Broheim.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode